The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pi Day! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Interesting! Thanks for that.

2500 year old memory tricks discovered in Ancient Greece...that's so awesome!
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
So far I've found this out:

"In his book, The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci , Jonathan Spence writes about a 16th century Jesuit who brought to the people of China a wonderful memory system that had been used in the West since the days of ancient Greece. To improve their powers of retention, people would build memory palaces -- huge imaginary buildings they kept inside their heads. After years of practice, the images would become so vivid that a person could close his eyes and picture his palace as though it were real. Eventually these mental edifices would become impossible to erase.

If an orator wanted to memorize a speech or a tax collector wanted to remember a list of names, he would mentally place each item inside a room in his own personal memory palace. When he wanted to recall the information, he would enter the front door and wander from room to room, retrieving the memories. The palace was a structure for arranging knowledge.

'To everything that we wish to remember, wrote Ricci, we should give an image; and to every one of these images we should assign a position where it can repose peacefully until we are ready to claim it by an act of memory.'"

SOURCE: http://www.santafe.edu/~johnson/palaces.preface.html

I'd definitely like more info. on this memory system if anybody knows anything or has book recommendations.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If you're interested in how far memory feats do go back, check out the links in my post on the history of memory.

For some really good information on memory systems with a large capacity, check out Memory Palace, the Dominic System and SEMMM.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
This memory palace that you speak of, it is exactly what Hannibal (the Cannibal) Lechter used. I believe he kept his recipes in there, too.
:hmm:
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Thanks a ton for those links Mr. Cram.

Quote:
On 2006-03-21 11:00, Patrick Differ wrote:
This memory palace that you speak of, it is exactly what Hannibal (the Cannibal) Lechter used. I believe he kept his recipes in there, too.
:hmm:

Interesting bit of information. It would be cool if I could freak my friends out by saying, "Watch as I display amazing feats of memory using the same techniques as Hannibal Lechter himself..." LOL
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Enough about Pi whens pie day?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pi Day! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL