The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Expanded Shells for Walking Liberty Half (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Hello all & greetings from Australia!

Great forum you have here! Some very interesting topics and quite helpful people posting on a wide range of subjects. Quite nice to see!

I'm hoping you will be able to help me to locate high quality expanded shells for a variety of US half dollars. I'm most interested in your opinions on the best quality shells for the walking liberty half however I am also interested in the Franklin and even the plain old Kennedy half expanded shells.

I already own shells made by Sasco, Inc. in both heads and tails for the Kennedy half, however I don't think that they are the highest in quality.

So... where can I get really high quality expanded shells these days?

Kind regards and thanks for your assistance!
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Hands down, it's Todd Lassen:

http://hometown.aol.com/klarentz/
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-11-29 09:29, Lance Pierce wrote:
Hands down, it's Todd Lassen:

http://hometown.aol.com/klarentz/

Ditto
Click to visit:
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4771 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Ditto!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Let me add my two bits! Ditto! You can't go wrong with Lassen! His are simply the finest, and nothing can compare!
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
Sneakers,
seeing as though you are in Australia, why dont you get aussie 20 cent expanded shells?
Just a thought,
Maverick Smile
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I'm very happy with Johnson Products (made in good 'ol sunny Southern California):

got mine at Hollywood Magic (close to The Magic Castle)

http://www.hollywoodmagic.net or

http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/silver.html

Hola!
Tony
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Maverick, the looser laws that govern defacing US currency are unfortunately much more strict in Australia. You cannot deface coins for any reason, even entertainment. To do so is punishable by a hefty fine and a jail term.

In addition, the alloy that the Australian coins are made out of is VERY difficult to expand. It can be done but I am told by those that are in the know that it is much more difficult to work with than US currency.
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Hi Guys,

Yes... sadly Chris S is correct. Defacing Aussie coins is a risky business. We do know of some who have done it, but they (rightly) keep them quite secret. If the Aussie mint got wind of someone mass producing gaffed coins, I dare say there would be hell to pay (pun intended!).

Thanks to all who posted replies. I had already come across Todd's Website via a Google search on "expanded shell." However it's very nice to have the opinions of those who have actually already used his work. I'll be in contact with Todd via Email tomorrow.

Cheers!
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
As stated by others above-Todd Lassen.
His expanded shell comes with a set of 4 coins included with the shell. My Johnson expanded half wouldn't pass close inspection in a coins across routine. Todd's will stand up to 'in your face' presentations. He is undoubtedly at the top of the quality pile.

DonB
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
After reading a few threads about Todd I decided to give him a call today. I spoke to the "man" himself and I have to say - I was floored by his prices! I won't list them here but I bought an ES Walking Liberty and it was only a FEW dollars more than Johnson. The best part - Todd hand picks a set of four "matching" coins and includes them as part of a set!

He saved me the trouble, and expense, of searching out coins on my own! Way to go Todd!
William Holcomb
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Yep, Todd's stuff is right in line with Johnson's real silver stuff. He won't make the cheaper clad stuff and I don't blame him. Todd is the coin afficionado’s best friend.
Click to visit:
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4771 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
You got that right, Dan! I wish that he was around 20 years ago. Would have made my life a lot easier:)!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Expanded Shells for Walking Liberty Half (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL