The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sub Trunk Lid HELP!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Hey Everyone-
This weekend I am going to Indianapolis to build a packing-crate style sub trunk (Osborne Plans) with my Grandpa. He is a former engineer and is having some problems with the plans. Our problem is with plates for the sliding braces for the t***. Are these available to buy anywhere or do they have to be custom made in a metal shop? Also what kind of bolts are used with the pivot bolts? We have been communicating back and forth for a while working out the dimensions and such (I made a cardboard mock-up to make sure they are right)but we are just really having some problems with the t***. Also, does anyone have any tips or problem spots they have run into? Thanks so much everyone in advance for your tips and suggestions! I really appreciate it!
Magically,
Michael Platt
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It is simpler if you forgo that part altogether.

Superheroes wear spandex uniforms
If you use a shovel you will get a hole
But cover the hole so no one falls in...
You dig?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Contact the man with the plans.
POOF!
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Michael,
Assuming you've got the same plans I do (Osborne's Simplex Sub Trunk), I'm not sure I understand your problem. Any plate metal that is m*gn*t*c will work. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and in the hardware section (near the hinges) you will find assorted braces. The plain rectangular silver ones are the ones you want. They come predrilled and with screws. You'll need to chisel or rout(sp?) space for them so they sit flush.
My recommendation for the bolts would be carriage bolts. They come in different sizes and have a smooth shaft and a threaded tip. Regular bolts are threaded for the length of the shaft. Anyone at the store will be able to point you toward carriage bolts. Good luck.
"Don't run with those..."
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
If you have a set of plans that requires a grooved slide for the T***, yes you will need to make it. If you make it from flat aluminum stuck about 1/4 inch thick. Drill two holes at the outside ends of the groove. Then it is an easy matter to cut with a metal saw in a jigsaw.

PM me if you need to discuss it further.

Use Tee Nuts for the pivot bolts or they will strip the wood in time.

Reinforce anyplace where metal rubs against wood with metal if you can.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
If you have a set of plans that requires a grooved slide for the T***, yes you will need to make it. If you make it from flat aluminum stuck about 1/4 inch thick. Drill two holes at the outside ends of the groove. Then it is an easy matter to cut with a metal saw in a jigsaw.

PM me if you need to discuss it further.

Use Tee Nuts for the pivot bolts or they will strip the wood in time.

Reinforce anyplace where metal rubs against wood with metal if you can.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Hey Everyone-
Thanks for all of your help so far! Cliffg, I'm not sure I follow you. Also, Bridgewater, I do not understand why the plate would need to be mag*e*ic if pivot bolts and the plates are used. I think I will just have to use leapinglizard's advice and have the plate made at a metal shop or something. Thanks so much for the ideas so far!
-Michael
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sub Trunk Lid HELP!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL