The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Silver Sanctum Plot Ideas (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hi all,

Just purchased 'Silver Sanctum' for a specific purpose I have in mind. After doing a search here, I was surprised to find it pretty much copped a bagging in reviews and no-one seems to be using it (or at least not owning up to it!). I feel that all the effect needs is two things:

1. A logical reason for using the metal containers to hide something.
2. Severe consequesnces for the performer if the test fails!

By filling these criteria I feel there is potential to make good use of the prop and create a routine with logic and emotional involvement of the audience. My idea for the routine is as follows...

First, I do Charles Gauci's 'Eye to Eye' as an introductory effect (this introduces the concept that I am using a 'psychology' method to find the hidden object).

I then explain that in the past, experiments like this have been conducted under test conditions in University Labs. To make the test valid, scientific protocol states the hidden objects need to be completely concealed in a metal container to make it impossible to use any kind of electronic detector device. The metal container should also be completely concealed from view before the subject being tested makes their guess. I then introduce the metal containers as genuine university parapsychology research tools and propose a 'far more difficult test than the previous one'.

I then explain that tonight I am willing to risk my entire paycheck for this experiment. This makes them emotionally involved in the performance. I then have someone roll up my paycheck into a small billet any hide it in one of the metal containers while my back is turned. The metal containers are also hidden under two opaque cups. Agter an appropriate build up I divine where the paycheck is and we all go home happy.

Other versions of the same type of prop are Time element cylinders and Wizards boxes. Another approach I thought of was to put something dangerous in the tube and perform it as a 'Avoid the danger' type effect.

Anyone else got a plot or idea for this kind of 50/50 chance prop?

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
spaden32
View Profile
New user
Ohio/USA
10 Posts

Profile of spaden32
Hi Al. I have in the past searched for reviews on this and Time Cylinders to no avail. Until now that is. Seemed like such a great mentalism effect I thought that someone would have at least gave a review on it. So thank you.

Can you tell me how how bulletproof this is. I am not into gimmicky props.

Do you start clean and end clean?
Can this be done surrounded?
Will this withstand very close inspection?
Difficulty level?

Do you have Time Cylinders as well? If so why is this so much more expensive than Silver Sanctum as they seem to be almost identical according to the ad hype?

Most importantly. When you received it was you happy with it and the method used for this miracle? Thanks.

Michael
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4824 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I saw this effect for over 20 years ago at a magic club and I had no clue how it was done. I was pretty young but this effect had an huge impact on my innocent magic eyes. I took many years before I did know about the tricks name and concept.

Sorcerers Stone uses the same principle as Silver Sanctum:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=VK4847

Silver Sanctum:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=LP1724
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4824 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 02:30, spaden32 wrote:

Can you tell me how how bulletproof this is. I am not into gimmicky props.
Do you start clean and end clean?
Can this be done surrounded?
Will this withstand very close inspection?
Difficulty level?
Most importantly. When you received it was you happy with it and the method used for this miracle? Thanks.
Michael

I got this effect as a gift some years ago and I was very happy Smile
Yo start and end clean.
Yes, yo can do it surrounded.
Yes, it can withstand a very close inspection.
Difficulty level? EASY !
This trick makes you happy if you mental magic with props...
To make it work yo need a crystal clear presentation.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hi Michael,

To answer your Q's - Starts clean and ends clean, method is 100% genius, silver sanctum from what I can tell is the same as time cylinders but seemed to be the original which is why I bought it in preference. Can withstand some inspection but best done before not after. Very easy to perform.

I agree with Kjellstrom that it needs a clear presentation and IMHO and emotional hook. This is what I am looking for before I put it in the repertoire on a more permanent basis.

This has lots of potential and I believe is a great method waiting for a good presentation to come along. My initial post was an attempt to spark some presentation ideas.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4824 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This effect works on extremely "sceptical" people, because they will probably never find out the secret.
spaden32
View Profile
New user
Ohio/USA
10 Posts

Profile of spaden32
Thanks Al and Kjellstrom. I will be adding this to my act. Really appreciate all the great feedback at the Café.

Michael
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
140 Posts

Profile of kardini
What impresses me most is that no SILVER SANCTUM - to the revelation - NOT to use any use of the 5 senses! THIS HAVE THE APPEARENCE OF IMPOSSIBLE for both magicians and to layman! This is the greatest merit of the method of SILVER SANCTUM.

BELOW MY PERSONAL ROUTINE WITH SILVER SANCTUM:

-- I ask someone to lend a money. In the back for all that I ask someone to bend and wrap well in place within any of cylinders and then hide one in your wrist and the other tube hide in your pocket ... And then extend the 2 closed hands forward.

1 - I inform in which hand is one of the cylinders!
2 - I inform in that pocket (right or left) is the other cylinder!!
3 - I inform if the money is hidden in the cylinder of the hand or in the pocket!!!
4 - How apoteose I inform the 12 digits of the ballot of money!!!!!

ALL WHOLE PEOPLE ARE IMPRESSED WITH MY ROUTINE.

KARDINI
Brazil
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I've got it, never used it but am going to dig it out & try some ideas.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I recall the story of the lady and the tiger. I let a match represent the lady. The other tube must have the tiger in it. This is of course stated hypothetically as nothing is put in the second tube. Now I must avoid being eaten by he tiger. If you want to dress it up, you could cut out a lady's picture of the right size from a magazine, glue it to a file card and cut again producing an actual lady for the effect.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I am considering using the Sorcerer's Stone as part of a series of routines using a pendulum. Maybe Silver Sanctum would work just as well, and save some money.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I have looked at the Sorcerer's Stone and liked what I saw. The only downside of the Silver Sanctums is that winning a 50/50 bet is not that big a deal. Obviously getting it right when the odds are two to one against you is more impressive.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
How is Al?

He has not posted in a long time.

Al, you Ok?

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
I have the trick called "Time Element Cylinders".

I've used it only once: the public does not understand perfectly how it's done, but the fact that the two cylinders are top marked with number 1 and number 2 is not a good fact in my opinion. People obviously understand that the two cylinders are somehow different and one of my spectators thought about the fact that one cylinder could make some kind of noise while the other not... Really interesting and alternative idea!

I will try to use this effect again, but I want to cover the two numbers with two identical stickers, so that the two cylinders will appear, in this way, exactly the same. Then I will make the routine more complex using other props as misdirection (for instance two small brass Buddha statues I've bought in a flea market).

I'll obviously still be able to recognize which tube is which... but not from the top numbers! From the public point of view, the two cylinders will be now really 100% identical, and this fact will add actual mystery to the whole routine.

- How could the magician know where one spectator put the small object? (I will use a lightweighted plastic object, which won't produce noise at all, falling inside the cylinder!)
- And then: how could the magician recognize the right cylinder after the spectators have mixed them up?

Downside of this trick: it cannot be repeated, and... as previously stated, it's not so spectacular to catch an anyway 50% right possibility!
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
I've put my ideas here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=46&0

Maybe stupid ideas... but the basic trick is actually too short and not so intriguing in itself... Smile
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Actually if you use the old never gamble with a Sicilian when death is on the line routine from princess bride.
put "deadly poison" in one and a safe alternative in the other...that makes this 50/50 REALLY important to get right in the eyes of the watchers.

the fact that both are actually safe prevents any type of mistake.
Juno Temple
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
52 Posts

Profile of Juno Temple
How ya goin' Starker,

The Charles Guaci opening sets the pattern in motion! Great idea to conceal the M.O. Although the 'lab' reference has been used many times for good reason, it works especially well here, once again disguising the simplicity of the 'actual' modus operendi. Thanks for turning over this penny from down-under. Back into operation from penny to "silver". There's a bit o' magic. Beauty, mate!
We play the Game - but Fate deals the Cards
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but isn't 50/50 a bit weak for a closer or find a check? I can see it working used early in the show where you want more believable effects as in Colin Cloud's which bag opener. But at the end or later, I would think you would want it more unbelievable. Since the effect is inexpensive you could simply purchase multiples to change the odds from 1 in 2 to 1 in 5 or even 10. This takes on a much different look on the stage; suddenly finding whatever by chance appears far more improbable. Following the science theme, you could talk a bit about the importance of statistical odds thus justifying the rationale for so many choices. Just some thoughts.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Silver Sanctum Plot Ideas (13 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL