The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fundamental skills for Mentalists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

I have read lots of posts about methods, performance, books, DVDs, shows, and everything about techniques and gimmicks.

I would like to start a thread to discuss the soft skills and qualities that is important to mentalists. I am sure many are very talented performers. But many are not born performers. Many read, experience and learn to become what they are today. I hope through this, we can learn from each other.

Below are some of the soft skills and qualities that I think are important to mentalists. It is far from complete. Please feel free to comment or add to the list.

Public Speaking - mentalists tend to talk more than magicians. I believe public speaking skills is very important for all types of performances

Confidence - whether to really have it or to fake it, I think it is important for mentalists to be confident at what he/she is doing.

Power - maybe? I think as a mentalist, it is often useful to give the impression that you are in charge of the situation.

Communication Skills - It is important to be able to communicate to the audience.

Story Telling Skills - I think this ties closely to patter and directly affects the experience of the audience

Acting / Drama Skills - I guess this is quite important and has been discussed before

Persuassion / Influence - I think this is a good skill not only for mentalists, but in life in general

Fashion - I think knowing what to wear and how costume integrates to the show is also quite important

Approachability - depending on your style, I guess it's always good to be approachable

Business Skills - I think this is very important as entertainment is business after all. So things like marketing, advertising and others are quite important

Organizational Skills - well, I guess this applies to everything in life, but it is important to be organized with shows, schedules and everything

Well, these are the things that I can think of right now. It's a list to start things off. Please feel free to comment or add to it. I am sure many of you have learned a lot in your career. And it would be great if we can share what we've learned Smile

Phil
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Phil,
I want to add:

Memory skills

Interpersonal skills

:) Kaylan
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I would add

EDITING skills. Cut cut and cut again. No need to do everything you have or can do or say everything you can say. Keep it moving!

and comment on:

Public Speaking - Yes absolutely!...LEARN to SLOW DOWN and speak Clearly. If out of town learn local pronounciations!

Story Telling Skills - Yes...directly affects the experience of the audience

Acting/Drama Skills - The Watchability factor.

Persuassion /Influence works in conjunction with Confidence.

Approachability - Key to my performing. Friendly not intimidating.

Business Skills - marketing is a MOST important skill.

Organizational Skills - All ducks MUST be in a row including packing and handling of Props as well as flow of act. A box of 'stuff' looks pretty crappy. (I've seen it! uh.)

Good thread Phil.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Thanks Kaylan and Doug,

Those are good points you have.

Some points I just thought of are

Finanancial Skills - which I guess falls under business skills

Time Management Skills - which I guess is similar to Organizational skills

Does anyone have any suggested readings or maybe tapes on these topics?

Phil
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Try listening to the Conversations With Mindreaders CD set. A wealth of information without any effects.

:) Kaylan
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Mentalism inc.
xxx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fundamental skills for Mentalists (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL