The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building your own dove cages? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Has anyone here built their own dove cage using wood and chicken wire or something like that? Please post your experiences. I feel this may be a lot less expensive and you'll end up with a much larger cage (and therefore happier birds)

The aggravation factor does not seem that high for the money saved,but I've never done this. If you have, please post your thoughts and experiences...?

Steven
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
I build my own and find it to be the best way to go. height is important to let them go up and down
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I did back when I was a teenager doing the cards and doves. It was just a frame of 1x2 pine with chicken wire, but it was nice and big -- probably about four feet wide by two deep by three high. They had lots of light, and I mounted a speaker above the cage so they would get used to noise and music.

The one thing I did was to be careful about the loose edges on the chicken wire. I pounded them down flush with the wood so there would be no danger of the birds cutting themselves on it.

The entire front came off for cleaning; it was just attached with four bolts and thumbscrews.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Great advice as usual George...

I am putting the chicken wire on the frame tonight or tomorrow, and I will be sure to keep your tip in mind before the birds get hurt on any jagged edges.

Steven
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I have build rabbit cages, the only difference is using "hardware cloth" (smaller mesh and stronger wire) instead of chicken wire for the bunnies. If I were doing doves I thing I would also use hardware cloth especially if they were to spend anytime outdoors in that cage to prevent attacks from predators.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
I built a dove cage using wooden frames covered in window screen. It was by far the best cage I have ever owned. The window screen kept all the feathers and seed inside the cage so the room stays cleaner.
I have never worried too much about keeping the doves off the bottom of the cage. Doves like to peck around and I clean the cage almost every day anyway so they don't get that dirty. The thing about hardware cloth that I never liked was the fact that the droppings would get stuck in the mesh. I would have to use a wire brush to clean it off. It just made for a lot of extra work.
If you are worried about their feet getting dirty take it from me. There will be just as much poop flying as feathers most days.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Thanks for all the help guys, I made some progress yesterday and I will be finishing up my cage today. All in all, its coming out great and I'm very glad I decided to build it myself.

I have a few more wood pieces to add to the frame, then I'm adding the chicken wire over that. I need to go get a staple gun for that, so right now I'm off to home depot...

Steven
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Make certain that the chicken wire is at most half inch. When I was younger, I lived by a river and I had a nice aviary (using one inch chicken wire). The cage was fine for three years, then one night I lost nine of my eleven birds to a predator (cat or raccoon's). The cage was in tact, door locked, the attack had to came through the wire.
Since then I won't use wire larger than half inch. Where there's a will there is indeed a way
POOF!
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I beleive the chicken wire I got was 1/2 inch, the cage is finished, came out pretty good and the 2 doves go to their new home tonight. The cage will be indoors and though I have a cat, he does not venture into the basement, so I think they will be safe and sound in their cage. I will make sure the cat does not have access to the cage, even if he gets downstairs.

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building your own dove cages? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL