We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Over the counter fanning powder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daflawliss1
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Daflawliss1
Hi is there a over the counter powder that is good for fanning that actually works? Or should I just buy a magic brand. also can you give me tips on preparing the deck.
L. "Look Dai, don't kid me; of course you know how you do it,
and so there is no reason why we should not include it."
D. "But Lewis it would just be impossible to put it in the book.
I've always thought of it as 'The trick that cannot be expl
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
As long as the chemical compostion is Zinc Stearate, you can buy it anywhere.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best is from Norm Nielsen magic http://www.nnmagic.com

I have purchased many bottles of Fanning Powder, but the very best was called 'White Satin Fanning Powder'. I have also bought some that just contained Zinc Sterate and it did not work. There is another ingredient that is needed to make it stick to the cards and work well into the cards.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
May I know what the chemical compositions of fanning powder are, wmhegbli? It would be interesting to know about it, too.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James, so would I! That is why it is sold by dealers! There are a few things that just never get out. That is why magicians are sworn to keep a secret.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
By the way, Bill, do you have any idea who invented or formulated the chemical composition of the fanning powder? It is good to know who started it.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Zinc Sterate is produced from animal fats and as such is not Kosher or Halal.
Bear this in mind when letting others handle your powdered deck.

ZS works in a similar way too wax, it adheres to the cards surface and produces a measured amount of friction between the two coated surfaces.
ZS surface against ZS surface will give an even level of friction resulting in all of the cards having identical performance.

Its main use is as a release agent in a moulding process. You may have seen this as the powder that coats balloons.

Bill, do you have any idea who invented or formulated the chemical composition of the fanning powder? It is good to know who started it.

It is a naturally occuring chemical. Its application to cards was most likely in an effort to restore a sticky deck to a usable state.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
I have tried to buy Zinc Stearate in Boots and Superdrug (Large chemists in the UK with no luck.
Does anybody know where I can buy it or the type of shop that would sell it?
TJ
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 19:57, teejay wrote:
I have tried to buy Zinc Stearate in Boots and Superdrug (Large chemists in the UK with no luck
Does anybody know where I can buy it or the type of shop that would sell it
TJ

Can nobody help with this?
TJ
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
If you're in the UK, Davenports sell Zinc Stearate pretty cheap... I think its £2 for about 15g, I use it on my cards.
Paul
casibb3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of casibb3
I find that using it can, over time, become a hindrance in that the cards get a bit tacky and pick up bits of dirt, etc. Not too great in the eyes of the public.

A Del Ray technique taught me by the great one several years ago as follows:
Square the deck and hold in a tight grip. Take a bar of Castile (baby) soap, rub it on the edge of the deck (not too hard, lightly). Do this on all four sides of the deck. A few faro shufles and the deck is smooth as silk.

Second method, easier, and just as good, make a two handed fan, rub bar of soap lightly once or twice over the fan.
Close deck, do same on other face side of deck.

I find this better than fanning powder.

Frank
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
Years ago, Desenex foot powder was available and was all I used. Not sure if it's still available. I stumbled upon it as a kid when I was thinking that baby powder, foot powder or whatever else I could buy at the drug store might work. Desenex worked like a charm! The rest didn't, obviously. I'll bet Zinc Stearate is the main ingredient in Desenex.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
TJ do a quick google search, I'm sure theres an online shop that will sell Zinc Stearate as Zinc Stearate.

Also, how do you apply your fanning powder?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Over the counter fanning powder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL