The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Performing at another magician's venue. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John_Cassell
View Profile
New user
Perth, West Australia
14 Posts

Profile of John_Cassell
When is it ethical to perform at another magician's show? I have gone to several friends and aquaintances (sic) shows, and I refrain from performing as they are being paid to perform. Then again, I have been to several gatherings where several of us were doing magic (but no one was being paid by the venue) and felt no onus whatsoever in performing. When is it unethical to perform at someone else's show?
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
If the person was requested to perform at the venue,paid or not, it is not a good idea to perform at the venue. This includes formal shows, if they are doing walk-around or table hopping, or even if they are requested to "show a few tricks". They are the one being requested to perform not you, and it may seem you are trying to show them up or steal their gig. Let them have the limelight and set back and enjoy.
It can be annoying to be ask to perform and someone else is doing a "look what I can do"

Craig
craig colombel
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Agreed, Craig.

In fact, some of the magic societies have bylaws that state when you're watching another magician, you agree to be the perfect audience member- supportive and attentive (especially if you happen to get called up on stage.)

The only time I'd perform at another magician's venue is if that magician specifically invited me, as a fellow magician, to do a trick or two. Otherwise I'm just an audience member like everybody else.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
I agree, I think the only time it is acceptable is if you are specifically invited. Many magicians would say that even performing on the street outside of a magician's venue is disrespectful!
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Performing at another magician's venue. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL