The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » What are your thoughts on the coin ladder ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 11:49, JamesTong wrote:
... buying one for my collection - which model would you recommend?

If I were collecting - I'd still go with Owen! Whether you produce dimes or jumbo coins Owen will build it to you specks ($$$$$).
POOF!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thank you everyone for all the helpful info. After taking a look at the Proline model it looks good, however I would also take a look at the Owen's model carefully too.
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
Other than the size, any thoughts on the Abbotts Coin Ladder?
Sound?
Construction?
Etc?

Thanks
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I did take a look at the Abbotts' model from their website.

What is your opinion on the model design?

I am also wondering how the sound of the cascading coin would sound.

Has anyone seen the actual model being used in a performance?

Would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I have seen the Abbott's table top coin ladder used in a show. Can't remember the performer's name, but it was a show in the Palace at The Magic Castle. Although I never paid much attention to the prop prior to this, it looked and worked great. The audience reaction was absolutely positive. Being a coin manipulator, I considered adding this to my show. Ended up going a different direction.
Have recently looked at the Owen Coin Ladder. It is a thing of beauty...as is everything Owen. Alan is great. If you want top quality, Owen is the way to go.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
858 Posts

Profile of cardone
Hello I have the Abbott's version ..I had them make it with metal bars not glass. I replaced the bowl on the bottom with a dollar store glass bowl... better sound .. I like the ladder but I want a larger size now ... something like the viking ... the little one has a few nice features ... you can hold it and walk around plucking the coins from the air as you move around ..... not bad for the price and it packs small....I love the Misers dream routine but my Card manipulation act gets a bigger reaction on a larger stage ..... so I don't do the coin act that much any more... ant queston ask me ......
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 13:02, Roland Henning wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 05:51, wmhegbli wrote:
Most magicians prefer dollar size.

And you base that fact on what?

Most of the magicians I know use half dollars.

Frank Garcia worked with dollar sized coins.
Earl Ray Wilcox works with dollar size coins.

Most guys who work stage prefer a larger coin so they can be seen, but they are limited by what is available. Wilcox used Eisenhower dollars.

For street work, it's not as important, because your audience is pretty close to you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
I saw a VERY elegant version of Coin Ladder, right in my eyes...stage contestants backstage made by Cligg Wigg of Proline Magic performed by one of the Junior contestants at SAM...very very cool! Smile
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 21:12, dove-boy wrote:
I saw a VERY elegant version of Coin Ladder, right in my eyes...stage contestants backstage made by Cligg Wigg of Proline Magic performed by one of the Junior contestants at SAM...very very cool! Smile

Thanks! It is a new version based on a spiral stair case. Anyone interested, please PM me for pics.

Cliff Wiggs
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
T. Nelson Downs used a Glass Coin Ladder that was rather tall and elegant. He also used one the had a timer in it to release the coins down a slide like kind of pinball thing bouncing from pin to pin. I believe it is described in one the Hoffman books and his was made by Brema. Very simple in design but obviously visible and troupeable.

Other than the finish of the act (which is how Downs and Norm used it), you cannot beat the Charlie Miller routine with a Bell bucket for simplicity and playing well to an audience.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2231 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
The question by the poster is "What are your thoughts on the coin ladder?" Is this from a magician's point of view or from an audience point of view?
As a magician, I made my own years ago but it didn't have the impact I expected from the audience.
Yes, it is a beauty to watch a unique production of coins ala Norm Nielsen. But I get a stronger impact from my Miser's Dream routine.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
Quote:
On 2006-07-28 11:09, Lou Hilario wrote:
The question by the poster is "What are your thoughts on the coin ladder?" Is this from a magician's point of view or from an audience point of view?
As a magician, I made my own years ago but it didn't have the impact I expected from the audience.
Yes, it is a beauty to watch a unique production of coins ala Norm Nielsen. But I get a stronger impact from my Miser's Dream routine.

How is it possible to get a stronger impact from your Miser's Dream routine? The coin ladder IS a Miser's Dream routine with the added visual impact of the ladder. I would think a ladder would only add to the effect.

What am I missing here?

Cliff Wiggs
Proline Magic
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
Hello, For those of us not living in the us. Where can we buy some half dollars ?

Thanks

Allan
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1028 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
One easy source for any coins is ebay. And almost three years later, must add that Chance's Classic Coin Ladder is a total work of art and a joy to have been able to get one of only 12 made.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
James,

I think that the answer to your question about coin ladders pretty much depends on how you see the coin ladder fitting into your personal performing/collecting priorites.

I certainly haven't seen all of the different coin ladders out there, but from what I've seen online, the Chance Wolf coin ladder has to be on the top of the list in terms of sheer "Thing of Beauty"-Ness and, I think, collectibility, too.

I don't own one, but, if I did, would I take it out and actually troupe with it? No way. I'd be scared to death to beat it up and ruin it as a collector's piece.

On the other hand, if you always perform a stage act in a specific formal or semi-formal persona, perhaps a very high quality and highly visible stage prop like an Owens, Viking, Proline, Collector's Workshop, etc. Coin ladder would be necessary for this style of performance.

Personally, I use an Abbott's Crystal Coin Ladder, an Abbott's Neil Foster/Chavez Modified Coin Pail, and a "Bell Bucket" the old fashioned way, and between the three, they do the job.

I use a Miser's Dream for my platform show opener and prefer to use the Neil Foster/Chavez Coin Pail for these shows.

For more informal shows, family shows, etc., I've actually found that the Crystal Coin Pail is easier to maneuver around with out in the audience (you can do it moving around and surrounded), the gimmicks are sturdy, dependable, and do the job, it has a great 5-point sound "read that as bing-bing-bing-bing BOOM" , and you're set with a built-in gimmicked climax. Another thing....it troupes.....and it's relatively inexpensive (that's a nice way of saying it's cheap....which ain't always a bad thing).

Here's the link to it:

http://www.magicgettogether.com/mm5/merc......ode=CMM1
cardone
View Profile
Special user
858 Posts

Profile of cardone
I have one ..but dollar size coins will not go down so smooth ... it is a very nice inexpensive piece. I would love a WOlf LAdder ...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks for suggesting the Abbott's Crystal Coin Ladder, Rainboguy and Cardone. It looks nice and inexpensive but quite small for me. Something that is waist high would be ideal.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
James,

Abbott's does do custom orders at reasonable prices.

If you like the look of the Crystal Coin Ladder and it's mobility advantages......(you can move around with it out into the audience) maybe it's worth a try to have Abbott's give you a quote for making a custom, waist-high version tailored to your needs.

If not, I'm sure that one of the Owens, Viking, etc. should be terriffic.

By the way...I'm a HUGE Norm Nielsen fan!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Rainboguy.

Norm Nielsen's coin ladder is the best I have seen ... in terms of design and look. A very beautiful piece of work.
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Hi James,

have you seen Wolf's coin ladder? http://www.wolfsmagic.com/Classic_Coin_Ladder.htm I think it is also very beautiful!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » What are your thoughts on the coin ladder ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL