The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Foulardless Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Hey, has anyone heard anything about the Zombie they do without the foulard. It's not the only thumb thing, it actually dances around in front of you. I hear it's really difficult, but worth it. Anyone ever heard of it.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Are you referring to Stratosphere? A ball that flosts in front of you but not by Zombie means.

Cheers,

Tom
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
No, but I'm interested. What is Stratosphere? I thought it was a stage trick with tube and a flip box.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
That would be "Stratospheres."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Ah. The difference is boggling, eh? I wonder if there's a trick called "The Zombies". Hmmmmmm. Smile Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have been doing a one man floating ball bit for about 15 years. If you keep looking around you will find what you are looking for.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Magical Dimensions,
Oh, there's a few out there, but I'm looking for one that actually uses the Zombie and normal gimmick. I've heard it's been done.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Ari_R
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Ari_R
That does sound interesting. I'm usually using the Zombie on stage, and without the foulard!!... that would be cool!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
Hey, has anyone heard anything about the Zombie they do without the foulard.

I believe you're talking about the stage illusion known as "Okito's Floating Ball."

The methodology has been adapted by several magicians, most notably by Blackstone in his "Floating Lightbulb." It is also used by Lance Burton for his "Floating Birdcage."

It does require some intensive set-up, plus full control of your stage and lighting conditions. And while you could technically perform it solo, an assistant really helps with this one.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
How are you doing Mr. Philemon?

What you talked about in your post is the method that I was refering to. I do it solo, because I like to have full control of all movement.
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
A few years back - about 1992ish - I messed about with a floating lightbulb worked on the zombie principle.

I used a semi-transparent foulard and the effect went over nicely. It was based on application of zombie, black art and blinder principles. Given a suitable environment the foulard could be dispensed with entirely.

I did think a dancing flame version of this would be workable too though I never tried it.

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Okito's ball can be done alone, it is related to the dancing handkerchief (probably invented by Anna Eva Fay).

Yours faithfully

:devilish: Dan Kirsch Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've heard of Astrosphere, but that uses a foulard and a gimmick which is not like a zombie gimmick. The ball can float behind and in front of the foulard.
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
I was tinkering around with my zombie one day, ( o.k. that sounds wierd ) and I noticed that If I lost the foulard and did the trick ala black art ( against a black backdrop and blah blah blah ) It actually looked neat. mind you, the routine was different but I guess It had potential. Just a thought. Smile
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
The Okito Floating Ball does, as Philemon says, “require some intensive set-up, plus full control of your stage and lighting conditions.” Add intensive practice, and a large enough place to rehearse. But it is worth every bit of that. To see if this effect is for you, look over the explanation in David P. Abbott’s “Book of Mysteries”. It is very detailed with many photos. (This is the guy who introduced the routine to Thurston and Okito.) There are more wonderful moves and additions to this routine in a few different books. For a list, simply e-mail me.

For the ball itself, the Don Wayne Floating Ball can be used. The instructions with the Don Wayne Ball are for multiple people. There is a small “Bonus Insert” that gives the bare bones of the solo method.

There is another solo routine that similarly uses three points - in a much more compact area - offering its own advantages to the staging and lighting requirements. It is completely uncovered. Very nice … the ball openly travels along an arm. Among the moves in the routine, the ball slowly crosses from one arm to the other uncovered. I wish I could remember the book. It was a small (blue) book devoted to Floating. In its USA release, it was written in French plus English. If anyone can recall the name of that book, I would love know it … plus, where to get it. It was on the shelves maybe 15 years ago.

The Astrosphere is pretty if you don’t need a very long routine. To be fair - I messed around with one only a couple of times. Maybe it is not as limited or as easy as it seemed to me. But, since the foulard is sheer, your audience can see the ball rising, dropping and traveling, whether the ball is in front of the foulard, or behind it. If the cloth has a few sparkles in its weave, then the lighting can be fairly bright.

Happy Floating!
Paula
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
[quote]On 2002-02-03 18:22, Jeb Sherrill wrote:
Ah. The difference is boggling, eh? I wonder if there's a trick called "The Zombies".

This is actually giving me ideas... hence: the siamese twins! could be interesting to have two zombies working the same foulard. Yes I know it sounds bad, but its better than calling it the Zombie balls!

MMMM... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile I'm going to bed now.
Jimmagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Jimmagic
Perhaps you guys should try Braco floating ball......... Smile
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
143 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
Jeb,

I remember YOU telling me that you were working on that idea a few months after we met. That was AGES ago!
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 14:23, Jimmagic wrote:
Perhaps you guys should try Braco floating ball......... Smile

Jimmagic - on this and other boards I hear only bad things about the Braco ball, can you tell us about it from hands on experience?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Bizzaro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Bizzaro
I have seen a foulard-less zombie once. It was b this guy in Dallas. It was insane. I'm pretty sure it used the zombie prinicple. He must be a genius to do what he did with it.

Bizzaro.
http://www.smappdooda.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Foulardless Zombie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL