The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Monkey fist balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I never run out uses for a coat hanger. LOL they're all over my house: skateboard hangers, guitar hangers, horsehair bow holders, plate display stands, backpack hangers, guitar straps (sound hole clips), coaster racks, and now this! When will the madness end?

Nice instructional video. Thanks for sharing. I've just used my fingers.
Learn something new everyday.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I love monkey fist balls, learned how to tie them at boy scouts, and was looking for a good set of balls to practice with, and thought "I'll just use monkey fists". I did not know that they were so popular! Man, do some of those look better then mine. I used a 1/4" rope, and it just doesn't look as nice as the leather. I will have to make another set now.

Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Check out the ones in the image below. I will tell you why I'm using these now.
There are a few moves where leather balls just don't cut it and cause the move to be difficult or not work at all. Leather balls will not slide against a cup. They want to roll due to friction.

These new ones are not made in leather and they have all the benefits of a leather monkeyfist ball without the annoyance of leather. The colors are more vibrant and the balls have a sparkle to them.

If you do not use any of these moves, then obviously leather is an excellent choice.

Here's what I'm using now.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Is that the silk thread that somebody(you?) talked about? I have to say those look great, I am not using any moves like you mentioned at the moment, but I like that shiny stuff!

Danton

BTW, Are those in the middle Sherwood cups? Very nice...
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 11:09, jgoldsney wrote:
Here is a link for a nifty wire jig that seems to make tying these a little easier....

http://www.instructables.com/id/ELWFT4DF1L8VZFF/

Well, that's slicker than deer guts on a doorknob!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Those really are nice balls Frank!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

The 1 move that is much improved with these for me is:

1. The elevator move. These make a HUGE difference.

If you don't do the elevator move, then you probably don't have anything to worry about either way.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Josh just mailed me the best set of balls EVER! They are his nylon monkeyfist balls but instead of a lightweight core, they use a computer mouse ball as the core. The mouse balls weigh in at 1 oz each. they are a street-worker's dream. The weight makes the mora wand spin vanish much much easier and sure-fire.

Josh Rocks!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 17:22, Frank Starsini wrote:
Josh just mailed me the best set of balls EVER! They are his nylon monkeyfist balls but instead of a lightweight core, they use a computer mouse ball as the core. The mouse balls weigh in at 1 oz each. they are a street-worker's dream. The weight makes the mora wand spin vanish much much easier and sure-fire.

Josh Rocks!

Cool beans...so I'll be getting my balls soon???

Can't wait!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
I was in the Navy for nine years and have a few boatswain's mate friends. Should be easy enough to get some good instruction on this. Smile
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Profile of Mr. Fumblethumb
I have two things to add to the conversation.

I chopped a "Found" cup. That meant I had to make some balls for it.
The monkeys fist looked good to me.

I experienced the problems mentioned by others in tying my first knots. I have a solution.

Get a piece of 2X4 about six to eight inches long, eight large finishing nails and a hammer. Lay the 2X4 on the ground or a table and drive four nails into the broad side of the 2X4 in a square pattern that fits around and cradels the ball. Now drive four more nails in a rectangular pattern that encompases the first four.

Like this:

X X

x X

X X

X X

Clamp the 2X4 in a vice or make a stand that holds the nails facing you as above. Wrap the lace clockwise around the outside four nails to make the first wrap. The rest follow from there. your wraps and turns are held in place. You can stop and walk away for a while. Slip the knot off the nails when you are finished and tighten up as desired.

One other accessory is useul. A hook to push and pull the lace when making the third wrap in the space between the first and second.

I recommend something like this:

(
`
Recycle a coat hanger...

I feel that you can tie your knot too tight. First, the tighter you pull them, the rounder they get. They loose the square shape that limits rolling around.

Second, the tighter you pull them the harder they are. that means they "talk" more when they go into the cup. I have two balls that are so hard they ring the cup. I have two others that are quiet as mice but made of the exact same material;
just not quite as tight.
When I vanished the knife at the end, the lady said;"You just made my day." And she had just made mine.
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

What you see isn't what you get here on the Café...

Put six spaces between the first two Xs.
Put one space before the second row of Xs then four between them.
Put one space before the third row of Xs then four between them.
Put six space between the bottom two Xs.

move the parenthesis and comma to the other end of the line, where it has a comma.

Jimminy Crickets!
When I vanished the knife at the end, the lady said;"You just made my day." And she had just made mine.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use my fingers...

However, I agree that there are definite differences in handling and sound with tighter vs. looser knots. I think there is something to be said for both, but I'm a little odd (Although with leather I like to tie a looser knot then soak them In hot water and let them dry. They really set up well that way with wood cores). I try to tie my nylon balls in between, but it's really a set to set thing. That's the thing about hand made stuff.

Johnny Mystic, you will have those balls in your hand very soon.

Thanks for the kind words Frank.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

My main need was for something to cover my wooden cores. They were way noisey of course and have a visible adjustable gaff. I wouldn't know which end of a crocheting needle to hold. I guess you could say I'm corchetingly challenged. Yeah, and just watch me try to sew a minnie baseball... So the monkeys fist is my best option.

The knots on Franks web site inspired me and after a little research I started turning them out by hand. That got very old as I seldom have an un-interupted stretch of time sufficient to tie the knot. So I'd have to put it down and take it up again later. Knot good. I had a very high failure rate. and if I'd kept cussin' like that I was going to arrive at my final destination in a hand basket.

I like the monkeys fist. It's fast (compared to learning to crochet and then doing it). It allows a wide variety of material and colors and the knot will cover the core well, keep it quiet and let you get in to adjust the gaff. Not a bad combination for me.

So now I have my Chop Chop Cup. Now what do I do with it?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-06-05 19:14, Mr. Fumblethumb wrote: That got very old

Yep. Imagine how Josh feels.
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Josh has both my sympathy and my admiration.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
If I could just get some sympathy from Beth...

I made some mini baseballs: Misery, and ugly. Crocheting... My wife's grandmother was trying to teach me that, But once you go Monkey you don't get less funky (?).

I have to say that when I have to make six sets in one evening because that's the only night I have to do it... My fingers do get sore.

Last night I almost made my first final load sized nylon MF ball (I've done 2"+ leather before rather easily). 25 wrap. One bad wrap; tried to fix it, couldn't, ruined it and had to untie it. Now that's a good hour wasted.

But I do owe my passion for the MF, and what I intend to do with them, to Frank. A good friend, and a good man.
I just made myself a set of Sapphire Mouse ball core (After I filled all my orders, Johnny). I love them, but I think I will have to go pearl. I just like that color, and I'm really getting to like the weight. I can't wait till I hear from Johnny, I don't know anyone else who has bought them other than Frank himself.
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Dear Frank n' Josh;

Due to your influence, I now have the balls from seven mice sitting in a little jar on my work bench. I picked on becrepid old blind mice so I wouldn't have to fight too hard for them. This sets a new course for my knotted up inner core.

Where is my hammer; my nails? Yessss... my Moto Tool...

BCNU
Don
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Mice balls are pre-wrapped. If you feed them a lot of iron before the demasculinization they are even pre-shimmed!
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Say... If the balls are shimmed, and you leave them in the mouse; then you could say the whole mouse is shimmed. You could make your mouse appear and dissapear with your chop cup. In fact, you could use a viariety of PK effects to keep that mouse moving and under complete control.

Until he went to a divorce lawyer anyway...

Har!
BCNU
Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Monkey fist balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL