The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NfW (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
Hard to beat the original NFW %$#&!
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
I love the effect of NFW, but sometimes it doesn't do what it's supposed to do (if you know what I mean) and I get busted. I wish they made it in industrial strength.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 20:53, daffydoug wrote:
Here's what I do: I perform the effect, and then I ask them where they think the jokers went? I have a preset of four identical jokers in the wallet. I then show my hand cleanly empty, and produce the jokers from the wallet. (Thus squeezing an extra kicker out of the effect.)

In the meantime, the gaffed cards are placed in my pocket, and conveniently switched for an ungaffed set which they can examine until the "cows come home"

Problem solved.

Daff, really great thinking here. Throwing them off with an explation where they went. BRILLIANT!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 02:09, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 20:53, daffydoug wrote:
Here's what I do: I perform the effect, and then I ask them where they think the jokers went? I have a preset of four identical jokers in the wallet. I then show my hand cleanly empty, and produce the jokers from the wallet. (Thus squeezing an extra kicker out of the effect.)

In the meantime, the gaffed cards are placed in my pocket, and conveniently switched for an ungaffed set which they can examine until the "cows come home"

Problem solved.

Daff, really great thinking here. Throwing them off with an explation where they went. BRILLIANT!

Chris

non no no no no. there is no way anyone will believe the cards in your wallet are the same as the ones you were using.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Steve, I have no opinion one way or the other myself on Daff's handling, but do you think it's easier for your audience to believe that you just turned four jokers into four aces? Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2006-05-29 02:24, late night diner wrote:

sometimes it doesn't do what it's supposed to do

If something is worn out, a trip to Office Depot will fix you right up! PM me if that's not clear.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
No one has asked me to see them...yet! But if they do, I'm ready.

I'll look all around, as if to see if anyone else is in earshot, then from the corner of my mouth I'll say, "How about if I just tell you how they changed to Aces?" They will, of course, agree. I'll lean in and whisper, "Jokers are wild".

By then the cards will be safely tucked away, the moment will be lost, and we'll be well on our way to the next magical moment.

(If you expect them to ask, they probably will. And if you don't have an "out" ready, then you aren't really prepared to perform, IMHO.)
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
In response to sunny dolan : I disagree. Corbin's trick is pretty good, but the handling he teaches, well it sucks. Too many false counts that are just not convincing even to the dumbest of laypeople. Some of his other tricks are amazing, like chamelon backs, but I think this one was a flop.

I have eliminated some of the false counts and one palm, but why do you think the first count to show the 4 JOKERS or an emsley or flustration are not convincing?
frog52
View Profile
New user
Iowa
62 Posts

Profile of frog52
My NFW set has a gimmick that is actually quite visible from close-up range.

I was wondering if this was normal, and could be dismissed like say, a thumbtip (easy to spot, but never seen), or if I just have a bad set.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
With regard to being asked by someone to see the cards...first off, I have done this trick about 100 times in performance. I have not yet been asked even one time for someone to see the cards. However, thinking like a magician, I was prepared by producing the cards to begin with from a small black leather Himber wallet and returning them to same...just waiting to be challenged. What a waste of a beautiful small Himber..... There we go again...running and not being ...well, you know Smile

Best to all,
Bk
Ps nfw IS A GREAT EFFECT
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5415 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-07-26 20:56, frog52 wrote:
My NFW set has a gimmick that is actually quite visible from close-up range.

I was wondering if this was normal, and could be dismissed like say, a thumbtip (easy to spot, but never seen), or if I just have a bad set.

I don't do many packet tricks, but I have a fond appreciation for a good number of them. I picked up a copy of NFW for $5 at a swap meet recently and have had quite a lot of fun playing around with it. Once I learned it and then inspected the "gimmick" (which, for the record, it certainly not a gaff) the first thing I did was to replace said gimmick with a piece of **** half the size of the original. You really don't very much. Anyway... problem solved.

As for examinable cards, I rarely do just one trick, and generally launch right into my next one, which leaves little time for a spectator to ask, let alone think about asking to inspect the cards. Daffy's approach may not be what I would do, but what I "WOULD" do (similar to daffy's idea) is try to use the cards at the end of NFW for some sort of segue effect (perhaps Twisting the Aces?) leading into the next part of my routine.

Anyway... cool trick!
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Couldn't agree more! Keep it moving and they will forget about looking at cards/props etc!
Bk
vance2276
View Profile
New user
Montana
72 Posts

Profile of vance2276
Any tips on making the initial count at the beginning look more believable? I just can't seem to make that count from the Biddle grip look decent. Help?
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
742 Posts

Profile of dduane
Vance,

I use a block move alternating the single with the other cards. It took a little practice, but it's not too hard. I do the move while I say, "I'm going to use these 4 jokers for an interesting effect. It's done casually, and they don't think you've really started yet -- so no one doubts it.

Hope this helps,

Duane
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Duane,
I do a similar count but do not draw attention to the "4"..Just a pack of Jokers.(As you stated, "keep it casual" Workers I know who use this say they never(!) get called on this count.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
742 Posts

Profile of dduane
Thanks, 'gkfreed'

I think I'll drop using the "4" as well. This effect is interesting in how the audience is so surprised, that they seldom ask to examine the aces. It's easy enough to get out of if they do. I'm sure you all have your way out.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1752 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
What I do not like with NFW that you do not change the cards in the hand of the spectator. There is a similar effect (regarding the cards) called "TEN" from Richard Sanders, which you can find on his DVD "Super Cards". There two of the cards are given to the spectator where the cards change.

And as a great fan of his work with sticky cards I realized an effect with catterpillars that change to colourful butterflies. This video is with german text, but you will get the idea. What do you think?
www.card-shark.de/Colouring_Butterflies.swf

I showed this last week on a childrens birthday party and gave the four cards to four kids. Then I took 4 silks with according colours to cover the hands of the kids. When revealing one card after the other I got GREAT reactions that I did not expected. Wow! What a surprise.

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
742 Posts

Profile of dduane
Thanks - that was a cute routine, especially for kids. With NFW, sometimes I'll do the face-up turnovers (aces) into the spectators held-out hand. It does get a bigger reaction, and the risk is still low on getting caught.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The reality with NFW if it's done well is that the effect is SO strong you've got about 5 to 10 seconds of true astonishment in which to move on to something else, or leave the performance area.

Just sitting there until the astonishment wears off isn't a great idea. If you do, the spec WILL ask to see the cards (how can they not, what you've just shown them is simply too impossible).

I guess it's really just spectator management #101.
Very few tricks are so powerful that they give you that 5 to 10 seconds to get the gaffed cards away and onto something else.

NFW is that powerful, and you do have time to get rid of the cards......but don't just sit there until the spec gets their senses back!
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
I don't know the effect, but the title of the trick is the best ever!

Bye

Rebecca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NfW (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL