The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Hello,

Does anyone know the name of the trick that a lot of magicians do when they have one silk, then all of a sudden another silk of another color, and again, until all the different colors of silk just pile up? What magic shops in particularly sell this trick?

Thank You,

Kevin
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Kevin,

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say they pile up. It sounds like a couple of different effects. I don't know what your level of expertise is but if you are interested in silk magic I would recommend you get Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Vol. 1-3 and get Duane Laflin's DVDs on Silk Magic. Great stuff. You can get his DVDs at http://www.lockfamilymagic.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Kevin, it sounds like you're talking about a silk fountain. That is if you mean a silk seems to blossom open and then another one begins to blossom open and then ....

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Jimmy,

Yes, that is exactly the trick that I am talking about.

Thanks,

Kevin
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Kevin,

Silk Fountain is available at most magic shops. There are different versions out there, some better than others.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Regan,

Okay, thanks for letting me know that.

-Kevin
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Kevin,

Now that I understand what you are looking for, I suggest you invest the money in a good silk fountain. Duane Laflin has a quality one and so does Jay Scott Berry.
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Okay, thanks for all of the information.

Thanks Again,

Kevin
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Dazzling Magic has a really good one for the price and they use 18" silks --- if I am not mistaken, they use a heavier (8momme) silk for their fountain whereas Laflin's is 5 or 6 momme. Laflin's is fine. The gimmick they include you can make yourself. P&A Silks and Hughes Magic sell extremely good ones but then you're talking about $225 or $250 for a silk fountain.

I definitely recommend Duane Laflin's Silk Fountain DVD and Silken Sequences and Steals DVD. Peter White's (P&A) silk fountain video is also quite good.

Have fun!

Jimmy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-03-17 22:51, Kevin W. wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know the name of the trick that a lot of magicians do when they have one silk, then all of a sudden another silk of another color, and again, until all the different colors of silk just pile up? What magic shops in particularly sell this trick?

Thank You,

Kevin

This is a silk production that Mr. Electric made famous, he explains it on his video from Stevens Magic, http://www.stevensmagic.com

This is a version of the Diminishing Silk booklet that was produced by Silk King Sturdio's. This is no longer available from them, but you may be able to get a copy of the book from Abbott's Magic, http://www.abbottmagic.com

Marconick also explains his version in his book that is out of print 'Marconick's Original Magic'. He uses a more involved way to connect the silks, then just knotting them together.

You will have to purchase the silks and that is very expensive, you may want to contact Silk king Studio's that advertises in this second and ask her for the slightly imperfect silks she sales at discount prices. You will need 24" or 36" silks, at least 6 silks is used in the production.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hey, Bill. That's what I thought he was referring to at first but then the stated that they pile up (not that one piles them up). Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see which one he meant.

Jimmy
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For custom made silk fountains, I recommend Michael Baker here on The Café. Size and load capacity can be adjusted to exactly fit your routine.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Hello Bob,

Okay, thank you very much for the reference.

Thanks Again,

Kevin
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It's always a pleasure to recommend Michael's work.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Duane Laflin's DVD on the Silk Fountain is a "must have" if you are going to do the trick. He discusses how the fountain is constructed and shows many different ways to perforn the effect. His fountain, which is of course featured in the DVD is about $100. Not a fortune these days for a quality prop that will last a long time. Laflin fountain silk fountain dvd Joe Mogar sells a less expensive version of the fountain. It is not listed on his sight but if you call or e-mail him he will take care of you. Joe Mogar

You could perhaps also have been describing a hank ball. This is another classic of magic and can be combined with the fountain in developing a routine. You can get Laflin's DVD which gives you almost all you need to know. You can get a hankball just about any where, certainly from either Laflin (actually Lock Family Magic. Duane's daughter is running the store now) or Mogar as well as all the silks you might need.

Laflin has a tremndous reputation in the industry. His DVD's are well thought out and practical. All his stuff is good quality. I think Mogar's sells the hank balls for a little less.

just my 2.5 cents. Obviously I was impressed by Laflin's lecture and DVD's.

Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In the above, there was certainly no intent discourage anyone from Duane's products. Forget the specific products, I think the Laflins are just good folks. They aren't going to knowingly associate themselves with a shoddy product.

What does happen in real life is that we have themes, sponsors, tricks, etc. that are sometimes better served with props made for that specific need.

Yesterday I did a show where a lot of green and white were needed. Audiences in shows in Tennessee and Florida like a lot of orange. We all get into red, white and blue situations (July 4th, Labor Day, and elections like 2006 again). Valentines was red and white. Shows using the colors that fit the occasions simply look more professional. That's only because they are!

Custom props don't really cost much more, if any. The problem is locating the prop builder who will accommodate you. Off-the-shelf assumes that one size fits all. Too bad it isn't remotely true! At least storing silks doesn't take a lot of room. If you are a real working magician, you will own hundreds in your lifetime. (Card guys are the same for cards. For others it will be rings, cups & balls, or coins.) I'm a real believer in custom props.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL