The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » On proof.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
As a magician, there is a strong desire to 'prove' one's routines, to remove doubts.

As a sideshow performer, where the trickery is not found, this desire is even stronger. I feel that I MUST prove that the nail is real, the glass is sharp etc.

When the two are combined, that perceived need becomes overwhelming. I may create illusions but THIS is real.

Yet no matter how many proofs I add it, I always have SOMEONE who wants to examine the glass, someone who says the nail is rubber (?).

So last night, I decide not to bother. If they are going to doubt me regardless of the proofs, why bother with them?

As I lay down the glass, I said "some one you will be wondering, is this real? Is it made of plastic? Is it made of sugar? Have I filed down the sharp edges of each pieces one by one by one. I will let you decide for yourself."

And you know what? Not a single person asked to examine the glass or said they doubted my claim!
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I have had little old ladies tell me I didn't put the fire in my mouth. I even hold the torch in my teeth and let go with both hands stretched out. They still believe that I didn't put it in my mouth. Why? Because it is easier for them to accept that way.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
In my stage show I open with a magic trick then reveal it's method ( I know it's not encouraged to do that, but honestly it's the least of my worries.)

Afterwards I explain that I am not in the business of tricking people but instead I'm in the business of amazing people.

then in various parts of my show I will have a few people in the audience stand on stage and watch a stunt up close and verify to everyone else that what I did was in fact real.

NOTE:
I should add that I also use a small amout of trickery in my show but as the Greats say "Flash is Cash!"

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Hey brett Just curious what effect do you "expose" you can Pm me if you want...

Anton
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Sent you a PM.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL