The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kevin James Instant Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tom Trix
View Profile
New user
Copenhagen,Denmark
84 Posts

Profile of Tom Trix
Hi !
I have just got the Instant Magician, I think the effect is a great winner for the children shows. Are you guys using this in yours shows ? I will like to hear about your ideas and presentation.
Regards
Tom Trix
There is no business like Showbusiness.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Yes, it has been in my show for 10 years. If you have watched Kevin's video then you saw me doing my effects with my coat. I too sell the coat, however it is a real tux coat that can fit a child or adult.

All my ideas are on his video. It really is my number one requested routine.

Good luck
Ken Scott
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I also got Kevin's and then saw Ken Scott's at the Kidabra Convention. Of the two, Ken's looks like a magician's outfit. Kevin's looks like cheap rayon cloth. If given a choice, get Ken Scott's.

I still haven't "perfected" a funny routine with it yet. Still working on that. Tried it at my son's birthday party and found out it requires practice to do it blind! (You really can't see what you're doing.) But I do like what Ken has to say about it.

It an opportunity to play with the junk magic that just sits in a drawer. It doesn't require deep thought on routine development. It is just funny playing with those little used tricks in an instant magician outfit.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Do you have a web site with your products Ken?
Phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Ken Scott has a website:

http://www.kenscottmagic.com/ but it is for his business and I didn't see any products on it.

He should because he has some really great stuff for sale.

I got his lecture notes, "Ken Scott Presents Making the Birthday Dough" which was worth the price. I also go his video with the same name which shows his instant magician routine and complements his lecture notes.

He also does an un-gimmicked 20th Century Birthday routine which he also sells.

He has a couple of really good products which should be listed on a website somewhere.

I can't get his version of The Wandering CD routine out of my mind. It has a picture of the birthday child on it and it vanishes only to appear on the back of the birthday child. It can be revised easily to be included in corporate gigs or fire safety message (Smoke Detectors).

I sure hope he does get a product listing on his website.
Dennis Michael
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
THanks Dennis & Phillip:

I am working as we speak to get my products on my web page. I am really not a BIG dealer I am a worker first and dealer second.

But give me a couple of weeks and I should have something up. Thanks again Dennis, nice comments.

Dennis what is your email? I sent you a email the other day and don't know if you got it.

Best,
Ken
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
I've seen the Instant Magician done to music. Anybody use it with patter instead of music?
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Ken,

Yes I got your email. Hope you do well with your products. Good Luck.

Maybe some day our paths will cross again.

Magically,
Den
Dennis Michael
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Dennis,

I'm not sure that I agree with your post on the Instant Magician that it doesn't require deep thought on routining...what makes you think so?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I think Dennis was implying that Instant Magician is doesn't require deep thought because almost ANYTHING you do is funny with this costume!

Some hints for people doing this routine.

1) If using music, create specific moves to the music or do an existing dance rather then just doing tricks with music in the background.

2) Break down the separation between the hands and body so it LOOKS like the hands below to the spec. E.g. take off hat, rub tummy, pick nose....(maybe not)

3) If using music that YOU control, put a ten second pause at the start so you have time to get into position.

4) Make sure you pick a child who is happy to do it. (nothing worse the an upset kid who doesn't smile but you can't see them!)
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I would have thought there might be problems with parents as it requires magician and child to be in close contact. These days people can get very suspicious of motives, even the best of them. It has always been a funny bit whether seen at blue and gold banquets or in the movies. Non costume versions of the bit are frequent on "whose Line is it Anyway".
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Yes, I have seen it a lot on Whose Line Is It Anyway.

The routine, I think, does take some practice and some thought. Sure the magic is the easy junk magic but to make it look great with your hands in front can be really hard at times.

But it is a signature piece in my show that has gotten me lots of work.

Again, never had a problem with the parents saying I am too close. Most of the time I use an older child or an adult.

Ken
TheMagicApple
View Profile
New user
The Magic Apple
8 Posts

Profile of TheMagicApple
I have never even seen the routine...I have heard of it though. Is there a site where I can see it performed. Or can someone break it down for me!?
The Magic Apple
818-508-9921
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Basically, you put a tux coat on someone from the audience and then put your arms through the coat and it looks like them. You do tricks like vanishing a hank, appearing cane, making a balloon sculpture and so on.

Ken
Jeff Alan
View Profile
New user
Georgia
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Alan
Hey Ken!

I have seen Ken perform this at a magic theatre I use to run, it is a show-stopper! And Ken is right, my first question was how he did all the tricks without being able to look, including balloon twisting, etc.

It is so hard to do, in fact, that Ken says, don't bother, leave it to him!
Aim high and you won't get your shoes wet.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 12:02, Frank Tougas wrote:
I would have thought there might be problems with parents as it requires magician and child to be in close contact. These days people can get very suspicious of motives, even the best of them. It has always been a funny bit whether seen at blue and gold banquets or in the movies. Non costume versions of the bit are frequent on "whose Line is it Anyway".

I quite agree with you. This is one trick I will stay away from, you're asking for trouble putting your hand around a child like that.

All you need is some idiot mother making false claims that you did something improper while your hand was around the her child.

Not worth the risk, there wre too many good tricks out there.

Richard (Tricky Ricky)
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
We discussed this before last year after Blackpool, and Richard & Frank are right, in this compensation age, and with the added paranoia about peda-perverts it's not worth the risk.

Contact with the children should be limited to shaking hands or holding shy kids hands for a while, but all done with you keeping both hands and your body in view at all times. Even when a kid comes up to give me a hug after the show I always turn side on and ensure both my hands are in full view at all times, if there is no other adult around I don't even let them get that close.

With this trick you're in a position to be accused of rubbing yourself against the child's back during the trick. And even if you're innocent, mud sticks - end of magic career.

Just because it's not happened so far, doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Again Emazdad you are letting this day and time get the best of you.

I see your point and I think we have discussed this before. I think one has to know his or her surroundings. I have been at this long enough that there is a bit of confidence built up.

After shows, a lot of times kids come up an wrap their arms around me for a hug. Am I to say sorry kids you cannot do that?

I will tell you I am NOT going to let paranoia about peda-perverts get the best of me. If you do that you are saying perverts you win and the KIDS lose.

This is a very touchy subject but again this mud will not stick.

ken
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I agree Ken it is hard to say "no" to the kids, however, better safe than sorry in my book and you only need one paronoid or money-hungry parent to end your career.

I think I'll stay as I am playing it safe. I'd hate to have to give this up and actually get a job. uuurrrgh
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
TheMagicApple
View Profile
New user
The Magic Apple
8 Posts

Profile of TheMagicApple
OHHH! I have seen that! Very funny...and endless possibilities!
The Magic Apple
818-508-9921
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kevin James Instant Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL