The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magical Wedding Proposal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Profile of Risingtotheoccasion
I am getting married, she's already said yes, but I haven't even proposed. I was thinking of trying a proposal that involved magic. She loves the magic I already do, mostly card sleights and basic sponge stuff, So I figured I'd ask the pro's what might be a cool way to present her with the ring? Thanks for any and all advice. I greatly appreciate learning from the higher-ups.
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
How can someone have already said yes, but you haven't proposed yet?...

Back on topic, you could do a sponge routine, then at the end somehow produce the ring for a surprise finish. Basically any surprise finish for a routine in which you produce the ring, make her card change into one that say "will you marry me" on it, or something like that maybe.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-18 20:43, stormchaser wrote:
How can someone have already said yes, but you haven't proposed yet?...

**** We have been together about 5 and a half years and it came up in conversation, we'd discussed it many times and kept putting it off in pursuit of the "perfect wedding" and after about 3 weddings that we've recently been a part of, I realized that it would be perfect if I just had her. So I asked her as we were going to sleep "If I could have my wife now" and she wasn't able to go to sleep, and began planning almost that instant.**** Hence the yes with out the actual proposal ****

Thanks for your advice, I sincerely appreciate it.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1524 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Freeze the ring your gonna buy her in an ice cube and put it in her drink....Just hope she doesn't bite into the ice cube an chip a tooth:)

Or of course you could have a waitress from a resturaunt bring out desert with a ring on top of a sundae or something.

Good Luck
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
If you're looking for a 'flash' type appearance. Try concealing the ring in a finger palm- with a piece of flash paper "ALA tissue paper' You could lite the 'tissue paper' and voila expose the ring.

OR-

If you know how to fold a paper napkin rose- you could do that and make it out of flash paper. Lite the rose; during the burst of flames steal the real rose, but have the ring attached to the stem of the rose.

Personally- I think it's a good idea. Might give you some more ideas. Hope all goes well! Keep us posted!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Wait for her to fall asleep in front of the TV and secretly slip the ring onto her finger and then ask her when she wakes up. If she asks you how you got the ring on her finger just say "magic"

Produce a 20 or 30 meter piece of colorful (red would be better) lint or string or whatever and let it unroll as you walk away into another room. Have the ring already tied to the other end and place it next to a glass of champaigne or wine that you had previously put there and then ask her to follow the string as soon as you are done.
Better even go to the bathroom and put it next to a hot bubble bath.

Buy 2 ads in the local paper. One reads "you will select the _______(and force this card on her). If you did selct the card go to page ___"(where the second ad is that reads "I love you Bla blla bla. Will you marry me?"

There are so many ideas just be sure that when you execute it it isn't corny
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Congratulation Risingtotheoccasion, How about when you are ready to show her the ring you do this; take out a wand with silver or gold tips, now holding the wand vertical you put your open hand in the middle of the wand and when you take your hand away the ring is on the wand in the middle of it. Same effect as making a ring go up and down on a wand. As the hand comes in front of the wand the ring follows the hand and it will look as the ring appeared on the wand.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Abc,

Ha- I actually like the ad in the newspaper bit. Didn't think of that potentially awesome way of getting engaged. Heck- I might even think to do something like that for when I pop the question! Good going:)

best regards,
Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Wow these are really cool ideas. She knows how I do card forces cuz I have to practice on her all the time so not sure that would be the way to go. But I did some "pre-qualifying" last night to see if magic was the way to go, after I found the previous proposal idea threads, I wanted to make sure a magic proposal would fit her (this is lieu of spending an exorbitant amount of money on a white horse, some armor, and a castle). Here was her response "I love your magic, and I love being a part of it, I just hate not knowing how it is done". Exact words. This leads me to believe that with how well I know her, she would have a very memorable story of the engagement. Also it is going to be a medieval themed wedding so does anybody have ideas that might go along with some "ancient magic"?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2006-03-19 03:39, TomaskoMagic wrote:
Abc,

Ha- I actually like the ad in the newspaper bit. Didn't think of that potentially awesome way of getting engaged. Heck- I might even think to do something like that for when I pop the question! Good going:)

best regards,
Tomasko

I actually wanted to do that but seeing that I live in Taiwan and my Chinese is not fluent that presented the first problem. The second problem was that I let it slip and she figured out I was planning something in that line so I had to make a hasty change. Proposed on the beach in South Africa with no magic but a beautiful sunset and will be married in October.
I hope all goes as well for you when you pop the question.

To get back to the original question. Don't force the card then. Let her think of any card and write it on a piece of paper. Do a centre tear and burn the paper and then use the ash to write the page number on your arm. Go to the next room and while you "fetch" the newspaper write it in or even better text a messages to a friend and let him write it in the paper and bring it to your home and give it to her.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
As for your second question on wedding ideas - watch cable guy and then do not do anything he did.
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Sorry perhaps I should have expanded a bit there, I meant medieval themed magic for the proposal. The wedding is actually going to be at a castle and we'll have authentic garb, a carriage instead of a limo, etc. So I figure If I'm gonna do a medieval themed wedding a themed proposal may also be appropriate. Yes I know I'm a hopeless romantic, that's what you get when a guy grows up surrounded by women but doesn't turn out gay. Anyhow, the ash on the arm bit maybe a *** good way, it is churning ideas for the proposal already...however it is differnet from my initial idea of somehow making a ring appear.

Keep em' coming. I got a little bit of time to work with so bring it.

Lance
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Sheherazade's ring would work I guess if it's a medieval themed wedding...box is opened there, she cant see the ring till you pop the question....but takes lots of preparation!

or a nice story line about merlin's apprentice, how he took a wishing stone, instead of wishing for wealth blah blah he simply wished to be with one he loves (more dramatic would be he exchanged his soul just to be with the one he loves) - lemme here the aaawwwwss in the background!!!(close fist around the stone, open fist, wedding ring is there...)

hope this helps...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Is this a deja vu or did I really post this before?!

No really!!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I did this with my future (and still)wife 28 years ago. She had already agreed to marry me, but she didn't have a ring yet. I came over to her apartment for dinner, but brought a brand new magic trick to show her. I borrowed a dollar bill from her, had her sign it and apparently destroyed it. I apologized and told her that it obviously needed more work.

I then gave her a present (it was her birthday) and she opened it...and found a nest of boxes. Inside the last box was a ring box. Inside the ring box was her engagement ring with the dollar bill stuff inside.

For some reason she missed the whole point of the dollar bill, but she enjoyed getting the ring. (We went out for dinner.)
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Where might I find a place to purchase Sheherazade's ring or are you meaning to use the story line and adapt it to another trick?
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Sheherazade's ring is a routine in Borodin's book "sheherazade".

I thought it might inspire you in a way or another (Borodin's way takes lots of preperation...once in a lifetime to prepare the box, but it is well worth it!)

No really!!
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Quote:
Sheherazade's ring is a routine in Borodin's book "sheherazade".

Sweet! I'm gonna look into that.
Quote:
I did this with my future (and still)wife 28 years ago. She had already agreed to marry me, but she didn't have a ring yet. I came over to her apartment for dinner, but brought a brand new magic trick to show her. I borrowed a dollar bill from her, had her sign it and apparently destroyed it. I apologized and told her that it obviously needed more work.

I then gave her a present (it was her birthday) and she opened it...and found a nest of boxes. Inside the last box was a ring box. Inside the ring box was her engagement ring with the dollar bill stuff inside.

For some reason she missed the whole point of the dollar bill, but she enjoyed getting the ring. (We went out for dinner.)

I've been warned about trying to do something that doesn't overshadow the actual proposal. Would you say this method was still low-key comparitively? or looking back might you have tried something different? or was it just what the doctor called for?

Thanks for all the great responses...and I'm sorry I ask so many questions, I have a lot to learn about magic yet.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I asked my wife and she thought it was unique. She said the only thing she would have changed would be to do it in a restaurant, instead of the apartment kitchen. See boys and girls, presentation is everything!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Here is what I would suggest: Do a Chop Cup routine for her. Load the two large loads AND a ring box with the engagement ring in it. For the large loads, instead of balls if you could find some hearts, either candy or other...

You could say, "As wonderful a bit of magic as this may appear, a greater magic is under the cup my dear." And, then have her lift the cup to find the ring box. You pretty much have to take it from there bro. Best,
Brad Burt
Risingtotheoccasion
View Profile
New user
MD, VA, DC
13 Posts

Ok so now I'm torn between a chop cup routine and the "sheherazade's ring" bit. Now enters the problem that I've never done a Chop Cup routine and where would I even begin to try to understand the materializing ring. WOW. The reviews I have read on Borodin's book excite me, and I am trying to find a way to get the book. Leaning very heavily toward that but not sure if I'd be able to pull it off. But If I could, that'd be the effect and I'm certain the reaction that I'm looking for.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magical Wedding Proposal (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL