The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel-First Hard Rock Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
I was just wondering if anyone knows the origianl rock hard magician was? Criss Angel has taken to trying to get this type of image and has done well. However I remember there being some other guy not as famous maybe..Anioch? Anyways it appears there are know other imatating this...what do you all think about this?
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Angel is a fake as far as IMAGE is concearned.

He listens to Korn and his REAL style was showed in the earlier TV specials : Mindfreak(TV SPECIAL),Supernatural, and Made In Japan.

GOTH magician seems to describe him more.

He signed with THE FIRM and got Johnny Depp's stylist. That person toned him down and gave him this commercial FAKE "Hardrock Image."

But technically YAH he is the first NEW AGE HARD ROCK magician. Several people have even described him as the ROCKSTAR version of Blaine.

There might be someone in the passt who followed a HARD ROCK IMAGE but it wasn't like CRISS is doing TODAY. For that I will let someone else answer with better magic history than me.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
One word..Chezade! twinkie anyone?

Justin Miller
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
The first "hard rock" magician that made it to stardom was Simon Drake.

he had a hit tv show in the 90s on uk tv, "secret cabaret"

he also toured with band Iron Maiden and appeared in their filmed show Raising Hell.

today he runs a mystery gothichalloween dinner house with various attractions.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Does The Amazing Randi count? He toured with/in the Alice Coopper tour in the mid 70's.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
cardone
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of cardone
The first Hard rock Magicians are a group called Sorcery .... the were around in the early 70s and did a giant rock/illusion show Great stuff dueling wizards on stage .... ... Van Hallen was their opening act ...... Look for a movie called Stunt Rock ...they are in the movie a lot .......
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Why wouldn't the honor go to Alice Cooper and his stage show from the early 70's?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Arthur Brown deserves an honourable mention for setting his head on fire twice nightly. And that was in the 60's. More weird rock than hard rock though.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
That came to me as well after I posted the Alice Cooper. I'd have to agree; The Crazy World of Arthur Brown would be in the running, but some might quibble about the how 'hard' his rock was, more psychedelic I'm thinking.

cardone
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of cardone
Cooper had the first theatrical /makeup type show ...Sorcery was basicaly an illusion show with a rock band backing them up..
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Yes, but Cooper also did guillotine beheadings, strait jacket escapes and the likes, which would put him in the realm of illusionist, and I think Cooper might actually pre-date Sorcery by almost a decade (1963).

cardone
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of cardone
Cooper added the Guillotine and jack stuff later I don't think he started with it in the begining... By the 80s he had a huge show with some serious illusions.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27115 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I recall Geoff Crozier (sp) as dark and loud. Saw him at the world of magic show in NY/MSG in the mid 1970s.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Chriss is much more on the "Goth Rock" side of things. Chezaday is the Twinkie Rock King :-P (Actually KISS Is his fave band). Simon Drake was one of the first to go with Hard Rockers and do his magic with the band (On the "Raising Hell" special which can be gotten on DVD).

Now there is a whole load of magicians using pop-music and classical, but any magicians using Polka 8-D
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 10:44, cardone wrote:
Cooper added the Guillotine and jack stuff later I don't think he started with it in the begining... By the 80s he had a huge show with some serious illusions.....

I think I remember him doing the jacket as early as '71, but you may be right about the other stuff.

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1231 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Jonathan is right. Jeff Crozier was the first, and still most extreme.
madmax
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of madmax
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 11:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I recall Geoff Crozier (sp) as dark and loud. Saw him at the world of magic show in NY/MSG in the mid 1970s.

Specifically, The World Festival of Magic and Occult, at the Felt Forum of MSG.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel-First Hard Rock Magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL