The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bruce Bernstein (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
One of the magic lists I'm on listed a bunch of Bruce Bernstein stuff in a mailing today. I'm familiar with his excellent Center Tear stuff, but not much else.

Everything else is priced above the "what the heck, I'll give it a try category". A search of the Café brought very little.

Anyone recommend (or dis) any of his stuff.

Later.....
Steve
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I met Bruce several times during and after his Magic Inc. days. His stuff is practical AND diabolical. I agree that his stuff is a bit pricey, however, if you find something of his that fits your style, it will KILL.

I recommend his card effect "Psyche Out" Smile
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
I have quite a number of his publications and I would summarise many of the effects as interesting as opposed to groundbreaking.

Again, if you find one effect that works for you in a publication, it often justifies the cost. Unfortunately many mentalist publications tend to be more expensive that many other magic oriented publications, but that's another topic!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Bernsyein's sublety and presentational style are well worth the price of admission into his mind.

Charles Spector Smile
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
IMO, Bruce is one of the most creative thinkers in mentalism. His material works and are not pipedreams. Like all material, if you use it regularly it's dirt cheap
from
Ford
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
Most important of all, Bruce is a wonderful human being. He is not only one of the most creative, practical thinkers in mentalism...he's also a marvelous composer (he was kind enough to cut me a CD of one of his compsitions. Delightful!). I helped sponsor a lecture by Bruce in Phoenix. earlier in the year He killed. And there is absolutely nothing "pricey" about his commercial material. If the price is high, that's because of the intense labor and cost of materials, i.e., some of his card effects. But if you're a working performer, it's well worth the cost.
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
I was very fortunate to be able to recently attend a Bruce Bernstein lecture. As he worked as a demonstrator at Magic Inc. in Chicago for a number of years, he knows what material is practical and commercial. If you will actually use this material then your initial investment will be well worth the initial outlay. The craftsmanship on his hand made decks is outstanding and they are built to last. As already noted, he also a wonderful person.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1164 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I have to agree with Ford, Bruce is one of the most creative brilliant thinkers in mentalism. I can't recommend his stuff highly enough. Is lectures are surpreme, his booklets are chocked full of gems.

Banachek Smile
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
I heartily agree that Bruce's material is always reflective of the best of the best from the best. But pricey? Absolutely not! It's too inexpensive. His decks are incredibly labor intensive, true. His books are all bargains. Only those who have written professionally will usually realize how amazingly little money is actually made by the author. After the jobbers, dealers and other middle men take half, after expenses and Uncle Sam, you would be shocked at how little is left. How little for years of creative development and hard work. No kidding! Sad but true. Ya really gotta love it 'cause it sure ain't for the money. Please remember that next time you buy something. As Ford says, if you use it, it's a bargain. The price is an illusion. No one gets "that money." Tis the truth of it.
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Bruce is one of the top 5 creators in the mentalism field. And a heckuva good guy!

Dave
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Just a small clarification, since I originally brought up the cost issue and seemed to have hit a nerve or two.

I was, in no way, making a value judgment - I don't even know the products. I was just trying to comment that the price was too high to buy without some reinforcement, which I have certainly seen here (although I would still like some specific recommendations).

Thanks for everyone's input.

Later.....
Steve
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
The key issue, as with any magic or mentalism material is what will you do with it. Bruce's material is for the mentalist. Your interests, Avatar aside, seem to be in the field of card magic. Unless you intend to seriously enter the Art of mentalism, I would not reccomend Bruce's material to you.

As has been previously stated, his body of work over the years has been brilliant, as any working mentalist will attest to. Many of us have learned much from Bruce and owe him a debt of gratitude.

If you wish to become a mentalist, then by all means consider acquiring his body of work as part of your learning the Art.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Steve,

An interview with Bruce Bernstein can be found at:

http://www.online-visions.com/other/0306bernstein.html

Regards,

John
"One arrow. One life."
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I'd recommend his "Psi-Kicks" book (I'm not sure if it's still available).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
You can add my name to the Bruce Bernstein fan club. His material is worth it's weight in gold to the performers who use it.I would say however, that if you're not already performing mentalism,his books and effects are not for you.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bruce Bernstein (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL