The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skullmaster
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of skullmaster
Just in case anyone on here from the UK missed the add on TV last night, Derren Brown's New series starts next Sunday. Channel 4 9pm.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I bet it will be filled with stooges and camera edits.*

*this is my prediction for the content of the threads on monday, and in no way reflects my views on what it might really contain.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Salsa I think he will bring the monkeys with mirrors as well, I have it in a coin envelope prediction. Smile
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
dannyhaze
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dannyhaze
The reason Derren Brown does editing is because he does not want other magicians stealing his performances. Magic is meant to be viewed once; not over and over until you figure out the method. Pretty much all Derren Brown's effects are televised the way spectators would interpret them in real life. So sit back and enjoy.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I hope he uses monkeys and midgets.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
That's not really Robbie Williams in the promos, its a monkey on a midgets sholders with £1000s worth of anamatronics!
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 19:24, dannyhaze wrote:
The reason Derren Brown does editing is because he does not want other magicians stealing his performances. Magic is meant to be viewed once; not over and over until you figure out the method. Pretty much all Derren Brown's effects are televised the way spectators would interpret them in real life. So sit back and enjoy.

This is the mentalist way of saying, "and the deck can be handed out immediately for examination"

On television magic specials, editing serves the same purpose that it does on non magic television: to make the illusion look better than it does in real life.

I refer you to "Four Arguments for the Elimination of television".

If it's on television, it's not real. One may have to look a little deeper to find the dishonesty in some shows, but it's there.

The world of magicians is no different than the world of any other performer. If the editing is present, it is there to make the performance appear better.

If the performer is editing out those parts that might tip the magicians in the audience, then this is not what the laymen in the audience would see if they saw the show at a live venue. Therefore, he is not showing you the the real show. He is editing out those parts that will let people know that he is, after all, only a magaician and needs to do certain things(sleights, etc) to bring about the desired effect.

Even with editing other professional mentalist and magicians should still be able to figure out the methods even without seeing the exact sleight used. The can then copy his material anyway and just use different sleights/methods to bring about the effect. His reason for editing is completely illogical.

Think of a number between 1 and 5 then scroll down:

The number is...3
D'OH!!!!!!!
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL