We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Striking Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
I have been working on the striking vanish, particularly for Gregory Wilson's Recap routine and I have had a hard time with it. I have practiced it for many hours, but it still always seems obvious that I take the cap into my hand. I've tried dropping the hand more, making it quicker, tossing it a bit, but nothing seems to make it run smoothly. What makes the vanish work better? Any help would be appreciated.

Cody
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Have you attempted to perform the Striking vanish for someone who doesn't know about it yet? David Williamson points out that this is one of those moves that just doesn't look good to the performer. Every single time I do it, it is SOOO obvious to me what I am doing, yet if I hit it, the spectator's eyes just bug out.

It is great. This is not in the category of "You will fool yourself!"

However, if you want some great tips on this vanish, pick up David's DVD Magic Farm, where he spends some time on this.

RevJohn
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Yes, I have performed it a couple times to laymen, and have gotten caught, and worked on it a lot more. However, I have never actually seen Williamson's work on it so I should check that out.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I agree with the rev. Try practicing to video. I've never been caught, but it always looks very fake to me. I think the combination of motion and the unlikely use of the wand hand throw laymen off.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Listen to the video. Then watch it again. Then listen to it again. Then watch it again.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Thanks for all the help.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hint:

This was originally done with a ballpoint pen. You might be more successful with a shorter wand at first. Dave Williamson told me this a long time ago.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
To me, David Williamson is the finest magician I have ever seen - taking everything into consideration. Here, in his words, is what he said on the Café:

"The striking vanish is kind of cool and when I was a young hot shot I did all kinds of things with it for the other magicians. Working for real people all these years has softened my opinion about the move. I mean, your just tossing it into the other hand and quite often, that's what it looks like!"

Bill's advice of using something shorter is what Dave seems to emphasize. He even does it with a coin purse.

In any case, I think it is more of a throw away flourish than a great moment of mystery.

sam
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
When you guys mention doing it with something shorter, what do you mean? Right now I am attempting to do it with a bic pen, as used in Gregory Wilson's routine. Thanks for the help.

Cody
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Noone mentioned angles here but I feel they are quite important with this effect. It is an effect I only perform for a few people when I can control the angle of vision. If you can, try shooting video of the effect at various angles and you'll see what I mean. Certain angles combined with proper timing really look eye popping. You also mention having practiced this for hours. Before I had what one would consider a presentable effect I had practiced for days...and days...and days...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-03-22 12:45, codysf wrote:
When you guys mention doing it with something shorter, what do you mean? Right now I am attempting to do it with a bic pen, as used in Gregory Wilson's routine. Thanks for the help.

Cody

The Bic pen should work fine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I hate the way most people do this move. When it's used with a wand for c&b, I don't see how anyone can be foold with this. I only do it casually, maybe for a child if I don't have anything else appropriate for them. I use the coin in pencap, but hold the coin at the fingertips between thumb and middle finger. I really don't' know if I saw someone else do this or came up with it myself.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In David Williamson's Magic Farm Video, he mentions he never explained the actual move to accomplish the Strick Vanish. He explains the correct method in this video. Makes more sense, and may even help you be more successful in learning it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He never explained it in print, but he did explain it during his lectures. This is probably why he explained it in his video.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I just saw someone in our I.B.M. Ring do this with a thin ribbon, held as a short loop, and a small Chinese coin in the other hand. This is half of what was necessary to link the coin onto the ribbon visually. The distances involved were about ballpoint-pen distances. He is vey practiced, and it was really clean.

This is from Destroyers by Troy Hooser, I believe.

Yours,

Paul
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've noticed that it helps to have the hand that holds the wand lower than the other hand. The movement of the hand being struck should be no more than a slight anticipatory flinch - but that flinch can still carry a lot of force.

The struck hand moves away from the other hand, sliding along the length of the wand, and the force of the strike should be light. I worked on it for years and am more comfortable doing it with a footlong wand. I just think it's more difficult, to create a big enough perceived separation of the hands, with a short wand.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
What exactly do you mean? You mean the hand with the wand starts out below the other hand and then jerks up?
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Jay Sankey goes over this move on his '45' DVD.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
He also goes over it, not in detail, in his Leaving Home routine. But seeing as I didn't want to use leaving home, I never learned it then. Recap is a great routine and I've mastered all of it except for the vanish.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Is there a free video clip of this move (any decent striking vanish)being performed online somewhere? I'm not sure I'm visualizing it correctly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Striking Vanish (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL