The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Copperfield Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I really wish DC could do some illusion-routines as before, a romantic story with some illusions... I think many people want to see those again.

I can never forget the routine he performed... using the song "One More Night".
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
I have most of his specials on tape (now burned to DVD), but I know I haven't seen any illusion performed to "One More Night." Could you please describe the illusion?

Thanks.
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
It's the illusion from the Grand Canyon special, and I also thought it was one of Copperfield's best story type illusions...

The illusion has a phone booth vanish, a stack of boxes production, and some really cool magic sequences with a magazine and park bench.

Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 20:14, Munseys_Magic wrote:
I have most of his specials on tape (now burned to DVD), but I know I haven't seen any illusion performed to "One More Night." Could you please describe the illusion?

Thanks.

I can't recall which special it was from but the story went something like:

DC's character is leaving the stage door and he is surrounded by fans who are after his autograph. In the foreground is his "girlfriend" who is getting fed up being second-best and kept waiting.
DC's notices this, but she snubs him and storms off into a telephone Booth. (First illusion) from which she vanishes.
Several beautiful sliding bits of scenery later and DC is sat on a park bench next to someone reading a newspaper. He picks up a magazine from the bench and flicks through it showing it all different until he comes to a picture of his girlfriend. He then turns over the magazine and the cover of it also now has the same picture and upon flicking through the pages, they have all turn into the same picture of his girlfriend.
Next: The person next to him looks over the top of their newspaper and it is seen to be his girlfriend who gets up and walks away. DC follows and snatches the newspaper away and his girlfriend and has turned into an old angry woman who is very annoyed.
The sliding scenery happens again and to cut a long story short, DC does a stack of 3 boxes to get his girlfriend back.

All performed to the song "One More Night".

There are some great old ones like that: The one in the artists studio where DC and girl keep changing from young to old: Then there is the Absent Fathers one with the kid at the baseball game: Then the one with the little girl and her missing bird: The "Psycho" shower scene one: and many, many more.

Even when doing things like flying, it wasn't just, "oh, look! I can fly", it's a story all about never giving up on your dreams and one day, they will happen.

Seems nowadays he has gone back to, "here is a box, ain't I clever?"

That isn't what made DC famous and what set him apart from the others.
He now seems to be trying to be as bad as everyone else.

As for pulling stunts like "Tornado Of Fire" just to try and out-do Blaine - What on earth was he thinking?

Still, if DC doesn't wish to do that style of magic anymore, it leaves more room for people like me who always has a story or reason attached to my illusions.

:)
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1043 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Shrubsole,

Wonder, wonderful comments... I really loved those specials back in the day. And I too, want to create a storyline for my illusions and manipulation acts.

DJ
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 18:53, Bill Blagg III wrote:
David Copperfield's Greatest Hits - Live on Stage! ...if his greatest hits show had 13 effects what would you like to see the line up be??

Here is the list of DC Classics that I would like to see
on this Dream Tour....

1. Crystal Smoke Chamber
2. Headmover
3. Seeing Through a Woman
4. Pole Levitation
5. Lottery w/Car App. (from Current tour)
6. Origami
7. Death Saw
8. Brazillian Water Levitation
9. Passions Prisoner
10. The Fan
11. Laser
12. Snow

and of course
13. FLYING!

Man! What a Show that would be!!!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-03-28 01:24, DJ Trix wrote:
Shrubsole,

Wonder, wonderful comments... I really loved those specials back in the day. And I too, want to create a storyline for my illusions and manipulation acts.

DJ

The one thing that people tend to forget is that using a story is the greatest misdirection that money CAN'T buy! If you have no story going on, any attempt at misdirection usually sticks out like a sore thumb - When using a story, the whole story is the misdirection for you to hide behind.

If you vanish from a box that is on a thin platform over the audience, all you are doing is vanishing from a box that is on a thin platform over the audience. All very clever, but just that and the audience will be looking very closely as to how you do it.

However, if you are using a box on a thin platform merely so that you can get someone transported halfway around the world to be with their Dad who they haven't seen for years; the whole vanish thing is secondary to the story! Less important: It's far more important that the Dad and son/daughter get reunited! (It's corny, it's cheesy, IT WORKS! - It's magic! It's what the audience want out of life: A distraction from reality to a magic world that is better than this one)

People wrapped up in a story are less likely to be concentrating on the actual trick - The best misdirection you can get. It's free and only requires imagination.

DC's magic was far better back when the box allowed the magic to happen and not be the magic.

:)
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Shrubsole, thanks for the details! This must be in his TOP 5!
And I agree that DC changed to "isn't this box clever" type now.
Sad but true. I still like him.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
Shrubsole,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it!

Jim
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I love his current show!

Although I agree that anthrax and baby should be taken out and replaced by, lets say, heaven on 7th floor or his really nice flying.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-03-28 19:44, Munseys_Magic wrote:
Shrubsole,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it!

Jim

It was done entirely from memory as I have misplaced my VCDs of "most" of the specials I have and my brain cells ain't as good as they used to be. Smile

It's a shame that some of these set pieces have been forgotten whilst we have the "Statue Of Liberty Vanish" at every mention of David Copperfield.

As the people in England don't even know if he is alive or dead, the only thing he is remembered for is The Statue Of Liberty Vanish! (Sadly)
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
He has plans for a big show in 2008, that I just read about on http://www.magicweek.co.uk
Probably nothing before then though.
Nick
Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
He has my attention.....
closeupmagician
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of closeupmagician
I can't wait.
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Quote:
On 2006-04-01 12:55, walsall wrote:
He has plans for a big show in 2008, that I just read about on http://www.magicweek.co.uk
Probably nothing before then though.
Nick

Hmm, if it had not been written on April 1st, I would believe it...

Johnny
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Mwahahahaha
closeupmagician
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of closeupmagician
Very true, Johnny. Haha.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Copperfield Show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL