The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » finding out about live mentalism performances... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of MrX
This is probably a "pie in the sky" question, but I was wondering if there was a resource, online or in print, for finding out about mentalist performances on the East Coast of the US (I live in New York City).

I ask because I learned more from seeing Marc Salem live than in a whole shelf-load of books (OK, that may be an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

Or perhaps - are there mentalism performance videos anyone can recommend?

Is Bob Cassidy's lecture DVD from Meir Yedid's webiste a good example of what I'm looking for?

Any other thoughts on resources for "learning by watching the pros at work?"

Thanks!

Ernie Barbarash Smile
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
IMHO, the Cassidy DVD is full of excellent material. I recommend it.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Its called knowing your craft and have a great Director/Producer behind the show.

Marc's show is one of the best ENTERTAINMENT shows around, and this has nothing to do with mentalism. It's called being a world class entertainer... Something that I don't say about mentalist's and magicians very often.
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Besides the Cassidy video, consider the 6 1/2's Desert Brainstorm three video set. You will see some the top mentalists e.g., Mark Strivings, Lee Earle, Kenton Knepper, Larry Becker, etc., performing in front of a live audience, as well as, getting the "how it's done," part of some great mentalism routines.

Larry Becker has videos in which he is performing at a nightclub. These are also worth looking into. Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Bruno
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Bruno
If you are looking to see how to perform certain effects then buy the usual suspect videos. But obviously it is dull in the extreme to copy word for word presentations that every wanna-be and hobbyist around the globe has seen.You would be better served by watching the best performers from every field of entertaiment and learning the stage craft and audience management skills they utilise.The secret is to create an event that fully captures the attention of an audience from your first entrance regardless of what you are doing. This is the most important thing you could do if you intend to perform. People like people not effects or tricks. Marc Salem does nothing original in his show but his presentation and people managing skills are superlative. Some find his persona charismatic. Personally he leaves me cold. Good luck.
firstron
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of firstron
I heard about PEA video tapes with many
shows...
Where can you buy them?

rf
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Simple answer, You CAN'T... The videos are taped at the annual Meeting of The Minds and are for MEMBERS ONLY...

Quote:
On 2002-12-01 06:16, firstron wrote:
I heard about PEA video tapes with many
shows...
Where can you buy them?
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of MrX
thanks for your replies and advice so far. Just to clarify - YES - I meant to ask about resources in watching good mentalists perform live or on tape just to see how they handle themselves and the audience - and NOT necessarily to have effects revealed.

Lee M., thanks so much for the new titles you suggested. Once I finish paying for all the other new stuff I just bought Smile I will look them up.

Thanks again everyone, and any more titles or especially ways to see folks LIVE would be greatly appreciated!

Ernie
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Ernie,

The great thing about the Desert Brainstorm videos that Lee mentions, is that you get to see a variety of performers. Others worth looking at are Max Maven and Ted Lesley.

As for "learning by watching the pros at work", I would be very careful that I am not copying them. When it comes to videos in general, there are some benefits: such as learning difficult sleights with coins and cards. Mentalism as you know, is about presentation. Learning someone’s presentation of an effect may not be the best way Ernie should do that effect. It’s just hard NOT to copy someone else’s style when learning from videos. Even on a subconscious level.

I am not saying stay away from videos. Just suggesting that you do not limit yourself. To expand on what Bruno is saying: watch John Edward on his Crossing Over show (whether you believe in him or not) or movies like Phenomenon, Powder etc…for presentation ideas. I find many televangelists to be a good source of ideas as well. Smile

JR
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
HI. I find that as I become older and more mature, i realize what does and does not work for me. Probably figured out my persona on stage which is mostly me and not someone on a video or seen in person. I guess what I'm saying is know who you want to present to the audience and then find effects that highlight your persona. You are the entertainment-not you effects.
Good Luck in your search!
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of MrX
again, thank you all for the replies. I'm just starting to work on what I hope is a fresh concept (yes, I know, nothing new under the sun, etc) - so this is the time to soak up as much as possible. thanks again.
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
269 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Also Docc Hilford has a couple of great mentalism tapes out as well which are very good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » finding out about live mentalism performances... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL