The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First Mentalist Gig: Palm Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
Several weeks ago I bought Richard Webster’s Quick and Effective Cold Reading.

I went to a bar with the book to start reading, and when the bartender asked what I was reading started showing him some of the lines on his hand.

Two women at the bar asked what I was doing. I boldly said I was a palm reader.

Of course they asked me for readings. Remember I’d had the book now for less than two hours.

I did my best. The second one told me that she was from a long line of Wicca, and I clearly had a gift. Then they asked me if I wanted to come to the convention they were planning. I did.

It turns out that they help run a company of women that sell adult toys in a Tupperware party environment.

So last night I spent several hours reading the palms of some of the most beautiful women to come to Vegas, and getting paid for it. And other than a few husbands that had come along I was the only man there. I was even invited to the after party but could not go as I still have a day job.

Thanks to this forum for turning me on to this aspect of our art. And very special thanks to Richard Webster and Doug Dyment for their work in putting together a method for the beginning Cold Reader to get started.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2586 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Quick, you better learn how to do it for real!
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2006-03-23 11:42, bevbevvybev wrote:
Quick, you better learn how to do it for real!

Does it really get any "realer"? Doesn't palm reading only "work" because the reader says vague things that the sitter wants to hear? Like horoscopes? Or maybe someone can get back to me about the neurosurgeons and nerve endings in the palm?

Jonathanmc: congrats on your success! What do you think was going on with your palm readings? Were you mainly using cold reading techniques (from Webster's book)? Other than your charisma (which I'm guessing you have no shortage of), what do you owe the strong response to?

-Jim
Leeo
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
99 Posts

Profile of Leeo
Here we go...
styles
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
70 Posts

Profile of styles
Grab your seats... the question is it really real often creates a stir.

There are some generalities with cold reading, but a well experienced, insightful individual with the right tools can read a person very well and go beyond basic global cold reading statements. There in lies the real art.
Scott
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Jimtron my friend,

Some people like Monet paintings. Is it because of the type of brush he used? The colors he selected? The scene he painted? The size of the brush strokes?

Well, yes and no.

It’s art.

It is not something that can be compartmentalized and fit into left-brain linear thinking. You just need to let go of trying to find "logical" reasons why things work. It will drive you batty Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17558 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Jonathanmc
Quit the day gig...You'll need your energy for all of these Adult Toy Parties and the following social involment!!!!!!
Palm Reading is Real! There seems to be a lot more than Money involved here....LOL
You have the PERFECT target group. Let me know if you need a partner.
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2006-03-23 12:38, Jim Reynolds wrote:
Jimtron my friend,

Some people like Monet paintings. Is it because of the type of brush he used? The colors he selected? The scene he painted? The size of the brush strokes?

Well, yes and no.

It’s art.

It is not something that can be compartmentalized and fit into left-brain linear thinking. You just need to let go of trying to find "logical" reasons why things work. It will drive you batty Smile

Jim, thanks for the response. Your answer, "it's art" is helpful. I'm curious about the opinions of Café members, including yours. Some here have called palm reading science, you call it art, and others look at it differently. On an art history forum, I might ask questions about Monet's technique, or why he painted, or why his work appeals to people. Many people find it of interest to discuss all aspects of art.

If there's no "logical" way to explain palm reading, that's fine, but I'm not sure if that's true.
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
Ok so let me just say that I am no expert. Far from it.

What I do have is years of improvisational acting training. I think this has been the biggest part of why I have been successful in a short period of time. I can roll with anything the person says or does.

My foundation for every word that comes out of my mouth is Richard Webster’s book. I have a mathematical friend of mine working on how many permutations there are and therefore how many different readings you could do.

Second I am trying to gauge the reactions I get to what I am saying.

And third and most importantly I am reading the whole person. How she is dressed, lines on her face, ethnicity, and her body language, everything. Since I’ve been an avid girl watcher all my life this is a skill I have much practice in.

Jim, I have zero charisma that I am aware of.

I have noticed a pattern. First they are skeptical. Then they begin to buy in but are waiting on final judgement. Third they are totally with you and you could tell them that their mother is from mars and they would buy it. When I begin I try to, as they say in NLP, change their frame. I want them to have to shift gears with me. I have learned to look for the shifting phases and start vague and get more specific as they go from the first to the third phase.

I have much work to do and need to really add to what I am saying and polish the whole package more. I am just excited to have found something that really is magic. Making people believe.

Is it real? Absolutely. I am sitting there with a person communicating with them at a level they rarely if ever let other people see. I am showing real genuine interest in whom they are and how they view the world. I am not trying to fool anyone. I am trying to be a mirror to their better qualities. I am using techniques of acting, magic and common sense to do this. All of that is real.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Its real just like the ability to communicate with others is real. I don't think Palm reading is a paranormal event, but ya I guess you could say it is "real".
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
Is it real? Absolutely. I am sitting there with a person communicating with them at a level they rarely if ever let other people see. I am showing real genuine interest in whom they are and how they view the world. I am not trying to fool anyone. I am trying to be a mirror to their better qualities. I am using techniques of acting, magic and common sense to do this. All of that is real.

I have no doubt that it's real, in the sense that I think you mean. Would you call this psychological entertainment? I assume you don't consider this paranormal, right? In your experience, was the palm reading simply cold reading (ie, the lines of the hand were irrelevant)?

Quote:
And third and most importantly I am reading the whole person. How she is dressed, lines on her face, ethnicity, and her body language, everything. Since I’ve been an avid girl watcher all my life this is a skill I have much practice in.

This is using your "normal," known senses to make deductions. I would guess that psychics do this too; observe their subjects and use their intellect to make deductions about the sitter's life. That and cold reading can create a very convincing illusion of paranormal powers.

Quote:
My foundation for every word that comes out of my mouth is Richard Webster’s book. I have a mathematical friend of mine working on how many permutations there are and therefore how many different readings you could do.

I'd love to hear more about this. Permutations of what?

-Jim
styles
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
70 Posts

Profile of styles
Jonathanmc

It is a controversial field - palmistry.

I think the 'trick' is getting good at reading people. I really liked and encourage your ability to mirror their best qualities and provide positive statements.

Kenton Knepper and Rex Stevens did some great work in Wonder Readings... you should check it out. Worth the investment if you are indeed serious about persuing this.

Scott
Scott
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I do not claim to have any psychic powers. I do believe however it is possible we sometimes can know things that we wouldn't ordinarily know. I am thinking of Gavin De'Beker's book "The Gift of Fear" He talks about a kind of intuition that can save us from harm, etc.

By permutations I mean that there are about four different ways the Heart Line can go across the hand. For each kind Richard has given something different to say. And for each line there are 3-4 ways it can go. Plus fingers extra lines, etc. So the lines help you decide what you are going to say. Meld that with how you read the person in general, age and you have thousands of different readings you can do.

I am first and formost an entertainer. Kids at my children's shows often think I have real magical powers. I do not disabuse them of this. Some of these women clearly think I have a "gift". They are allowed to add anything they want to the reading.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
By permutations I mean that there are about four different ways the Heart Line can go across the hand. For each kind Richard has given something different to say. And for each line there are 3-4 ways it can go. Plus fingers extra lines, etc. So the lines help you decide what you are going to say.

I appreciate hearing your views on this. Do you think that the four different Heart Line permutations truly reveal something about the person, or do you think Richard's assigned meanings are random? In other words, let's say you mixed up the responses, so you gave the "wrong" response to each person with a particular type of heart line. Would it still work? There is some evidence that if you read someone their horoscope --but without telling them, you actually read the horoscope for another sign--they will still think it's accurate.

I'm trying to determine if there is a true corrolation between palm lines and personality, and/or if there is anything at all about a person that can be revealed by their palm lines (other than obvious things like signs of manual labor, wrinkles from age, etc.). Or is palm reading just a vehicle for cold reading? Or something else? There has been some talk on this forum that there is a scientific link between palm lines and the brain, or something like that, but I haven't had much luck finding info on this (other than that folks with Downs Syndrome usually have a single crease in their palm).

It seems likely to me that palm reading is just a vehicle for cold reading and the like, but I don't want to rule out that there is something more to it.
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I guess we would have to ask Richard if he really feels these associations are a true indication of anything.

That said. I think that Palm Reading is a vehicle for establishing contact.

Après un certain âge tout homme est responsable do son visage
-Camus

And one might add the lines on his palm.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
I guess we would have to ask Richard if he really feels these associations are a true indication of anything.

What's your opinion?

Quote:
That said. I think that Palm Reading is a vehicle for establishing contact.

You've proven that in spades!
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I really think that the palm has little if anything to do with the reality of a persons life. Even if the lines on the Palm had some inate meaning I would guess that free will would tend to cancel out much of that.

I will admit that I enjoyed being wanted by so many women, if only for my palm reading skills.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
There is an excellent video out teaching palm reading for magicians. There are many different aspects of palm reading from the various main lines, secondary lines, mounds, hand and finger shape and such that once you know and understand these you can present fascinating readings for pay people that impresses them much more than any "miracle" you can do and since many lay people understand a bit of the subject, if you truly learn what the actual basics of palm reading are, there is nothing to get caught with - it's exposure proof. (Much like hand writing analysis).

Palm readings are introspective with the left showing the traits and abilities you were born with and the right showing what you have done with those traits and abilities. Because of this, cold reading skills can and will help to improve the reading BUT just by learning the ACTUAL BASICS, you have nothing else to learn and always carry your act with you and as an adjunct to a performance it is a great "back of room sales item".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
malkav
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of malkav
" The second one told me that she was from a long line of Wicca, and I clearly had a gift."

That's the point where I would have broken out with Luke Jermays A Twisted Palm. They are going to eat up anything you suggest!
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
Paul,

Can you let me know the information? I would love to be able to expand the shorter readings I am doing now into longer ones.

Malkav,

I have not explored anything from Luke Jeremey, yet. He is on my list for sure. But right now I have a pile of books I am trying to get to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First Mentalist Gig: Palm Reading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL