The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Poker DVDs on the Square (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Any of you guys got a poker DVD that helped you play better poker.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
352 Posts

Profile of Andrei
Mike Caro's video on tells.

It's crazy and it might end up costing you a lot of money because you get the illusion that you can read people - if you don't pay attention.

Otherwise, it's great.

Andrei
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
What form of poker are we talking here? I'll guess Texas Hold'em
Who is John Galt?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes Texas Hold'em.

Any one got this one? I like Daniel and I like the review. Smile

http://shop.mtv.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=4046963

Andrei I know what you mean. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Howard Lederer has a two DVD series titles "Secrets of No Limit Hold'em" and "More Secrets of No Limit Hold'em"

Its a pretty decent series.
Who is John Galt?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks but I was really wondering if you have have studied one and found you have actually improved and won money through it. Or do you think they are all bit of a waste of time and too basic.

Tommy
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1891 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Hi tommy, I found that almost every dvd/video that I have watched only contained very few crucial info... I think reading a book will make a better player than a dvd... Actually, I watched a lecture by mike caro on some of his wacky theories and that was pretty good but aside from that one, all the others pretty much give the same basic advice..I think staring at the wall for long periods of time made me a better player..
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Howard's series would make you a better player no matter what your starting point.

Some of those Sklansky books are good too.

My opinion is to learn the strategy and mathematics behind poker. If you learn the fundamentals that drive the game, then you can effectively learn to play well in any version of it.

I think you should buy three books: "Getting the Best of It" by Sklansky (the mathematics and fallacy sections are what you want), The Hold'em Odds book, by Mike Petriv (The concepts are laid out very clearly so you could apply them to any card game at all) , and finally for some hardcore material: "The Theory of Gambling and Statisical Logic", by Richard Epstein. (Very tough book to thoroughly understand).

Finally, keep any eye out for an upcoming book titled "The Mathematics of Poker" by Bill Chen. Bill is a very highly regarded quant in the Statistical Arbitrage world on Wall Street. His thoughts and theories on poker are things the gambling world has not seen yet. He is definitely going to bring new stuff to the table - only problem is you'll need very sophisticated mathematics understanding to follow him. Depending on what is in the final version, it will surpass the rigors of Epstein.

Last he told me, the book was starting the editing process.
Who is John Galt?
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
How about supersystem. theres nothing better than that
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes I agree about the books being best and some stuff on the internet sites is also good. I do like DVDs though as the things seem to stick in head better. Thanks for tips and that Bill Chen sounds cool but I think it would be too much for me to grasp. I do recall a guy explaning Arbitrage to me though and that's a pretty simple thing.

Tommy
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Quote:
On 2006-03-23 16:29, Craig Krisulevicz wrote:
Some of those Sklansky books are good too.

No doubt; the man is a genius.

CC
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Yeah but if your not one at the poker table I would advise not buying his books. they are very advanced
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" is a book that, if you havn't memorized every thing in it, will haunt you.

It will haunt you because your opponents (at least the ones winning money) WILL have read it, and will beat you.....plain and simple.

Texas Dolly's "SuperSystem II" is a great read, although it teaches you how to be bold and dominate a table, it doesn't teach pure poker theory.
You can't go wrong with both of them, and they should both be considered mandatory reading.

Sklansky's "Hold'Em for Advanced Players" is also on the list of must reads.

Just remember that SuperSystem II is all about dominating and being agressive. When Doyle wrote the book, that kind of play was all but a secret among Doyle and his buddies.
That style of play is a lot more commonly understood by most advanced players these days, and can get you into a lot of trouble if you're not rounding it out with "head play" as well as straight on agression.

Tossing up both styles of play will "get the money", just remember lots of folks have read these, and many more, books as well.
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
I belive that you need to read about 4 or 5 differnt poker books to be good. not saying that just reading a book with make you a good player but you need a soild base to start thinking from. I like to know a lot of differnt ways that people look at how to win. if you know how someone else is thinking it makes it a lot eaiser to tell what they have. its eazy to know how to play your hand the difficult part is making the correct decision about how your opponet plays his. some people think AK is strong and like will call and rasie all in pre flop anytime they get the chance others like to take a look at the flop. if you know simple information like think then you know whether to call rasie or fold depending and your hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Poker DVDs on the Square (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL