We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggestions for large outdoor event (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beauregard
View Profile
New user
Katrinaville
66 Posts

Profile of Beauregard
Gentleman,

I have been contracted to perform for a rather large outdoor event this summer for 4 consecutive days in the mid-west and will be performing a one hour mentalism act each evening.
I have in mind the following to perform each day.

A Magic Square
Tossed Out Deck
Design Dup
Phone Book Effect
Chair Prediction
Booktest
Q&A

I'm well aware that I may not need to perform every effect in the list so I'm looking to hear what you might change in the order or what you might add.
I'm sure that some of you would trash the whole set,..in which case I'd like to hear what you might perform instead.
Naturally the effects need to play to a large crowd.

Any suggestions for BOR after the show as they will be making a booth available to me.

Regards,
Beauregard
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
Q & A can be a difficult closer. There are inherent difficulties in the routine it self (as with every routine however), which should be thought about. One issue is that there is no natural conclusion to the routine. The best thing to do, I feel, is to end on the strongest and perhaps the funniest reading. However, this is not always possible. Sometimes you are not given a golden reading. There are ways around this, but they are still issues to consider.

Another issue is the pacing involved in Q&A. The routine should be about you and the audiences reactions. This makes the pacing of the routine much like a dance. This makes the routine greatly dependant on the audience and this can change the pacing. I think a closer should be much more controlled.

I have been performing a Q&A routine in my stage show for about 4 years now and I have placed it second from last for the above mentioned reasons. Just a thought.

Right now I am in the last week of performing my 2 hour large scale mentalism show at a theater in Orange County. I worked with a director and we took extensive notes and lots of brainstorming after every show. I have learned so much. The big things we worked on where the scripting, blocking, pacing, Alexander technique, and audience management. I’ve also learned a great deal about set design as well as audio and lighting design. Try to keep these things in mind while working on your shows.

- Brandon Cross
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Brandon: Did you actually DO 2 hours at each performance? How big was the theatre? How many paying customers turned out? What sort of set did you have? How did you advertise?

Very interested to hear about the specifics of a "Large scale" Mentalism show.

- entity
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow 2 hours. Im sure there is an intermission also. Very nice run.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is an excellent discussion of how to do a Q & A act in It Must Be Mindreading by George Anderson.

This, and its companion book, You, Too, Can Read Minds are excellent resources for mentalists, largely forgotten in this age of slick, hardback books.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Beauregard,
Perhaps consider a version of Sneak Thief. Some version using large (11" X 17") cards and a humorous theme (Knickerbockers by Jame Biss comes to mind). Though I am sure you have your own ideas in this vein.

Also, Richard Webster's Psychometry A to Z may inspire you. Lots of possible varity in the items people supply, no concern for wind, etc. Mr. Hyde's book adds a nice touch of a ziplock bag.

By the way, when you say Midwest... which city/state will you be playing? I would love to drop by if possible to see how it turns out.

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
1000 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Quote:
On 2006-07-30 03:06, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is an excellent discussion of how to do a Q & A act in It Must Be Mindreading by George Anderson.

This, and its companion book, You, Too, Can Read Minds are excellent resources for mentalists, largely forgotten in this age of slick, hardback books.

The book which Bill mentions "It Must Be Mindreading" is just over 57 years old and there is absolutely nothing of value in it for todays modern performer.....FORGET HE MENTIONED IT!

Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggestions for large outdoor event (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL