The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarbells Course (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fcchief
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of fcchief
I am not new to magic but thought this would be the most correct venue to post in. I have a chance to buy Tarbells course, it is 5 volumes printed in 1948. I was wondering if I should go this route or the CD put our at lybrary.com? Wasn't the original set by Tarbell himself only 5 volumes with the other 3 volumes added on by other magicians? Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.
SmallCheeto
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
115 Posts

Profile of SmallCheeto
You must be paying a lot if those are original copies. Although It would be nice to have them on CD too. Hmmmm.... If you want the material, I'd go for CD. If you want the actual book and material, in you hand, I'd go for the Books.
Magically,
Matthew Toner
P.S. Books like Tarbell have illustrations. (Just a thought)
fcchief
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of fcchief
Actually I can get them pretty cheap. Does anyone have the CD, I do believe they include illustrations as well. If not then I would lean towards the books.
SmallCheeto
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
115 Posts

Profile of SmallCheeto
Good Luck! Personally, if I had a chance to get those books at a good price, I'd get 'em in a heartbeat. Tarbell is a great series.
Magically,
Matthew Toner
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you do a forum search for Tarbell, you'll find out what the difference is, especially from posts by John Long. This is the wrong section of the forum to ask those questions, since most people new to magic would not be able to help. It's time to leave the nest and venture into other sections of the Café! I could provide a link to the threads for you, but you need to learn for yourself how a search is done.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he'll spend the rest of his life on your fishing boat drinking all your beer and booze." Or something like that.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
The CD has the illustrations
Jolyon Jenkins
fcchief
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of fcchief
Spellbinder, thanks! I have used the forums before, guess I just did not look at all the various threads. I bought the books, they are all dated between 1942 and 1949, and cost me $50 for the set. Also picked up the Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Lewis Ganson.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
That is a pretty sweet price. You will have a lot of good times with them.
Enjoy
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Great! I'm glad you went for the books and at such a bargain! I'm missing some of my volumes so if I need to borrow one or two, I know where to go!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
I think you should wait because Dan Harlan is bringing out Tarbell's entire collection on dvd. He is my teacher and he is making the dvds. they should be out in stores soon and it is him performing and explaining the entire tarbell series.
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
styles
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
70 Posts

Profile of styles
The origianl Tarbell Course is somewhat different from the current 8 Volume Set. The CD/5 original books are outlined into 60 lession in magic.

The current set are expanded upon and not lesson driven.

Both are worthwhile including in your library - excellent material, excellent ideas and some wonderful fundamentals.

Scott

P.S. do you have an exact date for the DVDs? Sounds great!
Scott
fcchief
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of fcchief
The DVD's might be useful if one can't understand the vernacular used, but since many great magicians started with this course as a basis, I see no reason why someone today couldn't either. Not against DVD's in the least. But I hear all the time the books are great. Now a book I would like to see on DVD would be Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook, there is a wealth of info in that.
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
I do not know if you have boughten anything yet, but I can tell you that I have the PDF downloadable one...

Overall, I do like it. The problem is that it is very hard to find things, like someone cannot say to you, "Go to Page 47"...
It also does not include everything that can be found with the books either...

I am going to be buying the Tarbell actual books, for it is more of an invesment, than just learning the effects on your computer...

Nothing beats physical books in my opinion, as well as others most likely!

Good Luck,

Tanner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarbells Course (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL