The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Any advice to build an Ultimate Ambition deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a gimmicked deck (or half deck) in order to be able to do Daryl's Ultimate Ambition, as I find it is a very strong way to end an Ambitious card routine.

Any advices on holding all the cut cards together so I can still riffle through their corner (in order to insert the signed card) would be appreciated.

I know I could simply buy one, but I'd like to do it myself, call it a challenge!

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Smile
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Punch a pair of tiny holes in EXACTLY the same place on each card (or portion thereof) and thread them together with a strong nylon thread; that's the way the factory ones used to be made.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Thanks Thomas!

I really appreciate it.

Ronnie Lemieux
MOntreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Mr A
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mr A
I took a few decks to the local print shop and had them cut the cards all at one time on their paper cutter. This way they were good clean cuts and they had to work to get them laid out right.
CoinFreak
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of CoinFreak
Good idea, A. Instead of string I just used glue, and mine looks perfectly fine. Building the Ultimate Ambition is fun so knock yourself out.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
FYI - I see that Daryl has a few sets made up with Bee's and Tally-Ho's if anyone is interested.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I made mine from nothing more than spit and discarded Pizza Hut boxes.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Mr. A and I did the used the same source to have our cards cut (actually I found that Staples print shop section has the necessary power chopper).

I didn’t find any problem getting the cards set-up ready for the cut. I simply took a deck and beveled it. I held the bevel with two rubber bands wrapped tightly (front half and back half of the deck wrapped). Then had the print shop use it’s power guillotine to cut the cards. Squaring the ends gave the center bevel needed.

Clamp each half and then you can drill (with a power drill) the holes that Thomas Wayne recommends. A length of fishing line a spot of glue for the cover cards, and you’re done.

As you know, you end up with two gimmicks by cutting one deck of cards.

Now I am interested in the Pizza box version of the gimmick. Marko care to elaborate?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Harry,

How much did Staples charge you to cut the cards? I went to my local Staples and they wanted $13 to chop a deck. I almost passed out!

Also, how do you get the fishing line taunt? Whenever I try to tie the knot, the line becomes too slack.
William Holcomb
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
William,

The Staples here only charged me a very nominal $1.00 to cut the deck! Of course I was buying a ton of stuff (about $40.00 worth of merchandise) and maybe that was a factor. I have had them trim pads of paper to fit in a wallet that I use for a mental trick (bought a wallet with note pate years ago and the note pad size is not made anymore) and they didn’t even charge me for the pads because I am buying them at the store.

I got my knot tight by having my daughter put her finger on it and hold the first wrap (twist, bend, whatever it is called!) in place as I tied the second part of the knot. Remember, just like your mom tied Christmas presents!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Okay, Thomas and Harry! You are talking about monofilament to tie the cards together. Where exactly are you tying them so that the line won't interfere with the insertion of the spectator's card? I have the newer version that Daryl uses so he can ring in only the 1/2 gaff.

Inquiring minds are a terrible thing to waste.

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Stanyon,

If you already have the gimmick you could take it apart as a pattern or use it and Daryl's New Millennium World Tour notes to construct one. The notes are a little thin on detail, but with both notes and gimmick in hand it shouldn't be a problem.

But to answer your question directly: tape and another card.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Okay, forget what I asked. I just examined the "gimmick" and see the holes (which aren't exactly tiny) and the line. And Jeff, yes the notes are a little thin on detail, as I don't remember seeing anything about tying the gimmick together. (Of course I can't verify that now, as all my stuff is packed away in prep for a move to S.C.).

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
garcia00
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of garcia00
I have a woodworking shop, and here is how to make it perfectly.

1. Get half a deck.
2. Drill the holes for the thread as described above. The heat from the drill will melt the cards together, which you want.
3. Place the half deck between two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood. Wrap with tape.
4. Cut through this (plywood and deck) with a table saw, set at an angle. It will leave the gap you want (about 1/4 inch). It will also again melt the cards together, which you want.
5. Thread it up, then riffle the outer ends to get them apart. Wrap with tape as shown on the dvd.

This was my method, and they turned out nice. Of course, you need access to drill and table saw.
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
Garcia:

Thanks for the post. Great to have someone help who has made a deck themselves. That is the joy of having others share their ideas, endeavours, and suggestions.

Thanks,
John
The Gospel Magic Man
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Any advice to build an Ultimate Ambition deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL