We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kreskin is Amazing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
I remember Kreskin from his TV show (in the 1970's?). He was probably the first mentalist I ever saw. I liked his style; it was amazing in a down-to-earth way (as much as one can be down to earth being a mind-reader!). He also has an interesting look: when you first see him with those glasses you think he's a bit nebbish, but then you see how he takes control. It makes for an interesting contrast: I guess you can't always tell a book-test from its cover!
He's from somewhere in Canada, isn't he?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Kreskin lives in New Jersey, in the U.S. If I remember correctly, he grew up in the Western part of New York State.

He has a special love for Canada, as he filmed several years of his television series in Ottawa and Toronto, and so has spent a great deal of time here performing and working.

- entity
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
If you visit Kreskins own official web site (www.kreskin.com) and view his Bio page, it states that he was born in Monclair, New Jersey.

Although I am not certain, I believethat he must still reside there since, when I spoke to him briefly following his show in Ottawa, he made reference to Montcalir several times. I also seem to recall from his Schedule page, that he continues to perform there from time to time throughout the year.

In any case, I encourage those that haven't yet visited Kreskin's site to do so and enjoy the historical as well as current information on the wonderful performer and exuberant person.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I've looked it up on his business card. Kreskin lives in Caldwell, N.J., not far from the town where he was born, Montclair.

- entity
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 18:57, stanalger wrote:
Kreskin's name comes up in a short Penn Jillette
interview available here:

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/home.do?content=preview

Click on "Penn & Teller Shorts" (below "UPCOMING EPISODE: Death
Penalty.)

Penn's one-liner's are amusing, but just a little too pompous for my taste. Does he really know "the finest two men on the earth"? And how seriously can we take the claim that Eminimem is the finest writer of the past 40 years (or however old Penn Jillette is)? I like much of what Penn and Teller do, but once Penn's ego entered my study, I needed to go outside to get some room and fresh air.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2851 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Was watching Kreskin's Mental Marvels, Feats and Stunts from the World's Greatest Mentalist DVD tonight. Anyone have Kreskin's pendulum? Amazing. Smile What's your favorite colour? Don't lie to me. Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5390 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I don't have the actual pendulum, but based on your comments I just got a copy of The Amazing Kreskin (at the Friar's club) which includes the pendulum effect. I'm looking forward to watching. Thanks Laurie!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2851 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Very welcome, Magiguy. Smile

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:58pm
----------------------------------------
Was watching "The Best Moments of the Amazing Kreskin" the other night. Not sure which episode number, but he's doing a reading of the audience. Seeing initials and he says,

"I'm seeing B.S...B...S... careful now folks..."

- something like that. Smile
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
I have never seen kreskin perform onscreen, online, or on stage!

I better start a-hunting.
PK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of PK
Quote:
On 2007-03-15 21:48, write2david wrote:
I have never seen kreskin perform onscreen, online, or on stage!

I better start a-hunting.

It'll give you something to do I suppose when you get bored of hunting down and replying to old threads
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Witty and valuable as always, pk.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw Kreskin when he appeared in Houston during the 1970's. I took one of my magic teachers, the late Cal Emmett with me to see the show. Kreskin impressed Cal with the fact that he didn't take himself too seriously. He wasn't boring like most mentalists of that time were.

It was Kreskin's television show that inspired me to get back into performing magic after a hiatus of about a decade. It was also Kreskin who got me interested in mentalism.

Had I not seen his show, I would never have met Punx, Ted Lesley or Borodin.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Thanks for joining in Bill, always a pleasure.

Hopefully the work of Kreskin will be eternalised on DVD soon so the wider community can have access to his work. Tony bought one of Kreskins books recently - I'd love to hear what he thought of it.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Also - for those interested, youtube has some kreskin footage.
The Scary Librarian
View Profile
New user
Canada
32 Posts

Profile of The Scary Librarian
Quote:
On 2006-03-25 07:32, magicalaurie wrote:
Saw Kreskin's show in Ottawa last night. What can I say? He's Amazing. Smile Grabbed us from the top of the show. Shiny red shirt and tie. His enthusiasm is infectious. Brilliant lines- hilarious. "I would suggest that you keep both feet firmly planted on the floor- especially those of you who are standing. " Smile Huge audience interaction. No separation really between himself and the audience. We were there with Kreskin. He stayed after the show to talk with people and sign autographs, allowed photos- so gracious- wanted to ensure people got what they came for. "Take another one- make sure you got it now." Smile Many entertainers can take a lesson from his generosity. Thanks, Kreskin. Genius. Smile

Saw this same show and was blown away! Would see his show again in a second should the opportunity arrive.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think it's the old thing of liking someone, and you'll automatically like what they do...any kind of performing I feel, should be driven by that...be likeable, whatever your character is...

people are far more forgiving when things go wrong that way! they want you to successed for the main part...if they're on your side...

I like a lot of kreskin stuff, I bought "the amazing kreskin" book off amazon a few years back..had some simple, but workable and interesting stuff...cheap too...and I have one of his dvds....he's kinda like an eccentric uncle kinda figure nowadays...but one that can read your mind and suggest to you that you cant speak...
I've asked to be banned
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
To really appreciate Kreskin you have to see him perform live in a theater. He's honed his show over several decades to a point of excellence, and he does what he knows suits him best. His audience management is terrific. Standing ovation every show I've seen, and I've seen him probably 20 times, in various venues and in different countries.

- entity
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
..and he says in his book he's mixed magic with mentalism...

and he uses cards! I loved it on the dvd I have, where he sits down and tells people that what they are about to see took him a decade to perfect...yet, what it was, was simplicity personified,just beautifully constructed and told with believability...genius...
I've asked to be banned
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I saw him in San Diego several years ago & hung out with him for about two hours after the show. He was very cool. I grew up in Canada where Kreskin was THE magician on TV for many years.
Anyway, after the show people thought he was "REAL", a kid even asked him to cure him of some horrible disease and I was happy to see Kreskin refer him to an actual doctor.
I was with Kreskin's road manager and publicist and we offered to give him a ride back to his hotel-he declined saying he preferred to jog back and burn up some (more)energy. We waited & waited at the hotel, finally he showed up about an hour later-he couldn't find the hotel! I love that he finds his check but not his hotel...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
"Kreskin is a con man and a thief. He stole my money when I was a child, and he broke my heart. He broke my heart!" - Penn Jillette. (Q+A skeptics conference) Not my words, but just another opinion out there. cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kreskin is Amazing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL