The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about asking superbasic methodology questions on open forums (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
134 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
I have a (likely silly) question/issue with the hindu shuffle. _not_ any of the sleights or anything associated with it, just the exact mechanics of the shuffle itself. But even so I'm not sure if it's okay to ask it in the open forums or not.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hindu Shuffle mechanics has been discussed here before.
Go ahead and ask. Because it is a basic sleight, you can be somewhat vague and most here will still know what you need.
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
134 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Thanks.

Working through Complete Course, and in its description of the shuffle, it has the right hand pull away from the left. This doesn't seem to work for me, I keep ending up dropping cards from my left in the proccess, but I find that if instead I pull the left away at each step, I can do it. Now, I even understand _why_ it's easier this way, but my question is... Is there any reason I shouldn't do it this way?

ie, in the long run, would I be better off trying to master the "right" way? (That is, would my way be more likely, when doing slights, to expose them or simply to not look good?)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I notice that I actually move both my hands when doing it in hands.
My LH is tipped forward onto my first finger, other fingers right and thumb left.
This prevents losing any cards.

Off the table my RH does the work while my LH is fixed.

I see no problem with your way.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Both methods are fine... a matter of preference really. I do it the way you do, as do many other magicians I've seen. You won't be at any disadvantage that I can discern.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Out of all the sleights that the hindu shuffle is used for, I don't see any way that your technique will cause any problems.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I also move both hands at the same time. It also helps to mask any breaks being held for a control
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'd like mention to Psy-Kosh that the handlings you read about are good guidlines but by no means the law. If you need to modify the handling somewhat then by all means do so. As long as it looks good.
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
134 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Cool. And wow, thanks to all of you for being so helpful!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about asking superbasic methodology questions on open forums (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL