The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Meeting Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MyTurnPlzAA
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
288 Posts

Profile of MyTurnPlzAA
Hi All,

Have any of you magicians met magicians that are on films, etc... (Paul Harris, Greg Wilson, David Blaine, etc...)

What are they like personalities etc

Regards Smile
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Yes, I have met one. Back in the early 90's I lived in S. California and often spent weekends in Vegas. I was not into magic at the time but while walking through the old Hacienda Hotel I happened in a magic shop. I spent about 5 minutes watching a guy do some amazing close-up and was hooked.

The guy was Lance Burton. If I only knew then... Smile
William Holcomb
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
When I was 11 Years of age, back in the dreaded 80's.... My Dad was a Police Officer, and had some powerful friends, I met Harry Blackstone Jr. He was a very nice and proffessional Gentleman. He seemed to be a super hero or a legend, and everything he said and did made him live up to my expectations and beyond!

Penn and Teller were awesome too!
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Once, in Hollywood Magic, I was expounding my ideas of what makes effective magic to all & sundry. Unknown to me, Paul Harris (who was relatively unknown at the time) came in the shop and heard me ramble on.

Some years later at a PCAM Convention, I was tending Bascom Jones' MAGICK booth while he had lunch & This guy walks up to me, calling me by name and telling me how he heard me rattling on in Hollywood Magic lo those many years ago, and how what I said gave him the impetus to go in a different direction with his magic.

It was, of course Paul Harris.

To this day, I cannot recall what I said that day in Hollywood Magic, but I felt Paul was a gentleman to come up to me like that and credit me with being one of his formative influences. Personally I think he overdid it, but it was nice to hear.

Others I've met over the years that are really nice to talk to and helpful were Eugene Burger, Max Maven, Tom Waters, Bascom Jones, Richard Webster, Bob Neale, I don't want to go on & on because it'll sound like name dropping.

Probably the only reason I became acquainted with these and others was the fact that I live in Southern California, near the Magic Castle, & was able to meet these people & hang out with them after lectures, etc.

I think most Castle members can probably drop more "names" than I can, anyway - - -

Gene Nielsen
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
My dad was waiting in the ally behind the theater that Blackstone Jr. was performing at, so we got the chance to ride his elephant!! Smile When he was on, the elephant trainer told it to roll over. Lucky for my dad, he was just kidding. Smile

Justin
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Hi everyone, I just had the honor of going to summer school class with Jeff McBride, I was able to meet Eugene Burger, tobias which is Jeff's manager, and about five other great magicians, Kevin james, mac king, the great thomsini, Losander which has a great routine with bubbles, They are all great to be with. It is a constant learning experience, you get to learn so many things. I really recommend that you attend one of their classes, pm for more info. thanks Smile
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
i remember jeff hobson when he was working for the ice show. and i used call brett daniels, brett micheals. them were both cool cuz we all knew each other well. same with franz harary. you see, when your in magic long enough and spend time around magicians. over time you all know each other. that's the fun of it. now a days i don't hang out at shops or clubs. why. . . i retired at age 20.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
I've had the pleasure of talking with several "names" in the field. I say "pleasure" because I approached it from the perspective that they had made a contribution to my learning.

To put things into perspective, it reminded me of the time I went to France. I'd been told beforehand how stuck-up the French could be toward Americans. Well, I knew a little French from high school, and made it a point to try and converse with them. Once they saw I was trying, they were (to a person) extremely friendly, helpful and all that.

My point being...if you approach a "name" magician, and show him/her that you're interested in what they bring to the art, rather than perhaps an individual trick per se...they're far more likely to work with you.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
I'm lucky enough to be able to interview the magicians at the upcoming Midwest Magic Jubilee coming up.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Hello,

I was very fortunate and was on the Copperfield crew for a tour. Lots of fun, and all of the magician-types on the tour were very nice and knowledgable and knew how to put on a great show - David, Chris and Homer.

While there, also ran into Andre Kole who was very nice!

--Jack Smile
Patrick T.
View Profile
New user
Esslingen / Germany
39 Posts

Profile of Patrick T.
Hi!!
Well on David Copperfields last tour I got to go on stage for the Portal Illusion.
Smile
After the show Cathy Dally (IllusionJack you probably know her, she was very,very nice!!) took me backstage and I talked a bit with David and got to meet Chris Kenner too.

IllusionJack how did you make it in his crew? You must have been lucky!!

Patrick Thomas
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Patrick,

Getting on the crew took a lot of time and persistence, and indeed I was very lucky! It was an excellent opportunity. I do know Cathy, she is great!

--Jack Smile
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Let's see--what magician from TV and film have I met...
Can anyone guess??? Smile

Besides Harry (first seeing him 16 yrs ago, I have visited his shops for the last 2 years in new orleans!)--I have interviewed (electronically) Martin Lewis for a newsletter.

Ellen
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
i think when my mom met my father it was the greatest thing in the world.
getting to know my father is even greatest.
He has such a history its soo amazing!
And all the people that have known him
for 30+ years adds to it even more.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Meeting Magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL