The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Just got my new Rice Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I just opened the package from Ruth Rice Crone. The silks are fantastic! People in my office kept coming over to marvel at the brightness and vibrancy of the colors. You pay more for quality, but you see every penny in the finished product.

Ruth is a pleasure to do business with. I appreciated the personal contact and attention I received. This is a class act.

I would recomend that anyone that wants top quality stuff contact her on the Café. It is well worth it.

Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

You'll never have to apologize for using a Rice silk. (And you get to talk to Ruth too!)

This one was a six-footer, right?

Please do support the vendors who support The Magic Café. They make The Café possible.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I second both of your opinions. Ruth is really great to talk with and she is very accommodating.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bob,
Yes, it's the 6 foot Rabbit in hat silk.

Very often going to the vendor's on the Café will save you a few bucks. More importantly, they want to maintain a good reputation on the Café and will give you good service. In the case of SKS and Ruth Rice Crone you are going to the source. This is also the case when you buy from Frank Starsini @ THe Ambitious Card, Jamie @ Coin Gaffs.com, Tony Clark, and many others.

I am making a frame from PVC pipe to support it as a back drop. Any thoughts as to how to secure it to the frame w/out ruining the silk? I was thinking of using bulldog clips lined with ribbon as padding.

Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Very cool. Bruce. I bought the black 6-foot Dragon silk from SKS last year --- simply beautiful!

I wish I could be of help with how to best attach it to a backdrop. That's just not my area of expertise. However, I am sure several members will make valuable suggestions.

Jimmy
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Bruce:

Here is an alternative in case your PVC set up doesn't work out - I believe you can use an Abbott's "Jet Set" to display the silk. I'm pretty sure it's the right size.

Here's a photo from Stevens Magic site - I think it looks very good.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=7230

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

If you have a Line of Silks from DoveLite (any size silks 9", 12" or 18"), it came set with a clip that is safe for silks. Notice that it has rubber pads.

Now to release the trade secret! The clips I use on real silks are actually made for photo darkrooms. Think of them as small clothes pins with stainless steel springs and metal parts, plastic that won't absorb, and rubber gripper feet.

You still need to use due care. Punctures and stains are the two main things that ruin silks. Even a rubber tipped clip can be made to puncture the silk. Also don't leave silk next to rubber more than a couple of years at a time. The rubber gets gooie.

Congratulations on you new treasure.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
As always, great tips, Bob! Welcome back! I (we) have missed you.

Jimmy
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bob
I could not find the rubber tipped clips. I found some 2-inch curtain rings that have small clips attached. I folded a small piece of felt over the edge of the silk and attached the clip over that. The felt keeps the clip from contacting the silk directly. Not the best solution, but it will work for tomorrow night and next weeks shows. I will continue to explore options.

I took the silk off the PVC rod leaving the clips attached. I think this is better than taking the clips off and reattaching them each time. Of course, when I have it set up I can easily check the clips and make adjustments.

Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Are you finding that the silks are opaque enough to use on stage without a back liner?

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I am using the silk as a back drop. There is a spot light, behind me, that is shining on the front of the silk from the light bar above the stage Sorry, I can't recall the jargon for what that's called. The light shining on the front and dark behind gives it the effect I want. This is on a full stage. In lees controlled venues it may need a backer of some sort. I plan on using it only indoors. Usully under those conditions I am aganst a wall. I will find an opportunity to try it out on a dance floor for those occasions wher I am not aganst a wall. When I do I will report back. For now, it seems ok.

Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello Jimmy,

Lucy and I are at the Cavalcade of Magic. It's been a blast!

Quit your day job and come do some magic with us.

Bruce,

Sometimes the dollar stores get clips with rubber feet. (Avoid metal that will rust or turn green.)

James,

Even 6 - 8 momme silks can be transparent on stage. (Block the back lighting with your body.)

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Bob,

I think I have been misunderstood.

I was aware that they are being used as a backdrop, but if you cannot put the stand that holds the silks as a backdrop against the back wall and you have to move the stand closer to stage forward, then does back-lite cause a problem?

In that case you would need to have a liner against the back of the silks?

James Adamson
www.seam2006

Bob, glad you and Lucy made the trip OK!
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
James,

You are correct. #1 You were misunderstood. and #2 There will have to be someting already on the JetSet.

There is one being used here for the little stage and the silk is in front of the curtain. But it looks great! This one is the dragon.

Wish you were here with us. The Cavalcade has a real mixture of old pros, young pros, collectors, hobbyists, prop builders, theme park acts and great entertainers. I'm very impressed with some of the young talent here.

Bob and Lucy
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hi, Bob! If only I could quit my day job. I would love to perform magic on more of a full-time basis. The good news is that my supervisor wants to see how we can integrate magic inot some of the presentations and workshops we do with school staff and students. Scheme, right, Bob?

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Just got my new Rice Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL