We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I finally performed my cups and balls routine, and it went great! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Hi. Its been a while since I have posted on the Café, but I thought I would send in some thanks for all the good advice I get on here, and share my great performance experience tonight. I was doing a 25 minute close-up show for a group of 20 tiger cub scouts and their parents. My criteria for the show was non-gimmicky, mostly inspectible if grabbed, and able to fit into a running baseball theme I had going on. I opened with a multi-phase ring and rope routine, did a copper/silver okito set, "warmed-up" with the magician's insurance policy, did a signed sandwich effect, and then closed the card segment with Twisted Sisters. The color changing sponge ball and cube was my 7th inning stretch, and then I did my cups and balls routine. This was a big deal for me because it was the first time I've publicly performed my cups and balls routine after working on it for over a year. This probably seems like a long time to work on a routine, but the cups have been a slow process for me. In any case, the show went great: fun interaction with the kids and the parents! Lots of amazement! And the best part was the strange calmness I felt while doing the cups and balls routine. Things were so choreographed, I really felt the misdirection working. I looked somewhere, and I could peripherally see and feel the people looking with me. It just happened. Amazing. I think I could have juggled the lemons before loading them, people were so intent on what was coming out of the cups next. Now, I'm sure my routine can use some improvement, but the feeling of control over where people were focusing was incredible, and I really think they were looking where they wanted to! I've been so interested in the cups and balls before, but now I am so hooked. I'll ride the performance high tonight, and see if I can improve my routine tomorrow. What a lesson tonight was!

Chris
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I would say that another lesson has to do with the fact that you actually gave the cups and balls a year to develop before unloading it. This is not something very many magicians have been disciplined enough to do (not even me. I had to try and make a run at it early, to disastrous results)

You have experienced perhaps the sweetest inauguration of a routine you will ever have. Congratulations!

-R
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 21:49, Ron Giesecke wrote:
...another lesson has to do with the fact that you actually gave the cups and balls a year to develop before unloading it. This is not something very many magicians have been disciplined enough to do...
-R

Thanks for the nice comments! I don't know, however, if I can credit discipline, as much as fear of messing things up before I have them down right. Smile Either way, it is a lesson.

-Chris
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
I really felt the misdirection working...
...It just happened.

These two things you said convince me that you really do now understand the power you control with magic & misdirection. You have convinced yourself. That's a huge advancement.

It's like stepping out of yourself to watch, and having faith the machine will work, isn't it? Kind of scary, too!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 22:25, Michael Baker wrote:
...It's like stepping out of yourself to watch, and having faith the machine will work, isn't it? Kind of scary, too!

It was very zen-like, which I feel uncomfortable saying, because I know I'm an ant among giants in the magic world, but in my magic world, it was really eye-opening. The stepping-out of yourself comment is perfect, because I could feel myself analyzing the audience and what I was doing while the routine was in progress. My mind is usually much busier focussing on what I'm doing, but tonight, at least, things were different. I liked it!

-Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Congratulations. Your diligence and hard work have paid off.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
It's all that hard work paying off. Much like when a professional baseball player at bat says he can see the threads on the baseball coming at him...sounds like you hit a homer.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You did good on a lot of levels. I know that invisible feeling well, and get a rush hearing you describe it. The cool thing is it just gets better. Pretty soon you'll find all sorts of moments in the other tricks you do. And you'll even have time to think about improvising, while maintaining invisibility. Even though you blame fear, you did right to wait.

Bravo!
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Contrats. Now... keep doing it. don't let it fall of your radar.
keep it fresh.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Thanks!!
Jondalawyer
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Jondalawyer
Thanks for sharing Chris. I can appreciate and relate to your experience with the cups and balls.

I am at the beginning of the Cups and Balls journey. From the first time I sat down at my table it was clear to me that there is too much to learn in a short time, certainly to learn well. I think I'm looking forward to the journey as much as anything. At my own pace. A year, two, maybe more....

As an aside, thanks to all those who share so much. Your experience and vast knowledge provide a context for those of us who are just beginning.

Best,

Jon
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 22:58, Magical_Mystifier wrote:

It was very zen-like, which I feel uncomfortable saying, because I know I'm an ant among giants in the magic world, but in my magic world . . .

Oh, now you may actually be surprised to find out one day that you may actually turn out to be better than many of the exalted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I finally performed my cups and balls routine, and it went great! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL