The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » To teach or not to teach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Funny thing about Crazy Man's Handcuffs. A couple of years ago, I was in a room with a bunch of high school math teachers. One of them knew how to do the CMH move and demonstrated it to the others at my table. I said nothing, but watched intently as they did it. What was interesting was that it was never considered to be a magic trick--it was an interesting and fun thing to do with a rubber band. Everyone learned how to do something cool, but no one, so far as I could tell, believed that they had learned a magic trick.

First, I think that this illustrates the difference between moves and magic. Without presentation, CMH is just a cool thing to do with a rubber band.

Second, the story shows that magic secrets may be rather different than we usually assume. Everyone knows how to show one thing and hide another; everyone knows that it is possible to deal cards from somewhere other than the obvious place. Those really aren't the secrets of magic: the secrets involve ways to mask how we do what everyone knows is possible.

For me, this leads to an amazing resource for the interested beginner. Magic for Dummies is a book that beautifully illustrates all this. The book is a gem because it teaches very few magical moves, but emphasizes magical performance on every page. Perhaps it would make an excellent first resource for the curious.

John

(hope I didn't ramble too much here)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tyrael07
View Profile
Regular user
Surabaya , Indonesia
105 Posts

Profile of tyrael07
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 08:56, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-28 10:42, tyrael07 wrote:... How do you guys decide it's time to teach a person something? Because I'm having some requests from people who seem genuinely interested in doing what I did....

Can they do some of the components competently?

Jonathan, they are laymen... my problem is knowing the differences between laymen who just want to know how it's done AND the serious ones.
The impossible things are often the untried.

Magic is not what you see.
It's about what you make others see.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » To teach or not to teach (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL