The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Dragon's Breath-Is it always this big of a Pain in the bum? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hey all!
A while back I purchased some "Dragon's Breath" powder off of e-bay (To create a fire from the fingertips when shot over an open flame effect). Did some tests with it (Outside with all of the percautions in place on a calm day as directed by the instructions). Frankly, the stuff scared me. I found it hard to control, both the size of the fire effect (The instructions said it was good for a 3' fireball, and I got more like 9') and the area that it burst into.
My question...
Did I get "questionable" powder in a substandard delivery bottle, or is this stuff always this difficult to use? I am not a novice to fire by any means. I do various forms of fire spinning, transfers, eating (Pretty much everything but breathing), use fire in most of my acts, and I have had all of my shows approved by the fire marshall.
Right now I am just curious if there is anyone using this effect without the same difficulties.
Thanks,
G.
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I have this and I love it, I think it is very adjustable, sounds to me like you are using it right out of the big bottle it comes in?

Daz
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Actually I am using the small bottle it came in- Little 1 oz thing. Perhaps I am just squeezing overenthusiastically (Dang that is a long word...) What do you use for delivery?
I have been thinking about some other delivery methods- Modifying a hollowed out wand with a puffer in the handle to shoot it over the flame (It would take care of the palming of the bottle)or using an inflated balloon with a bit of the powder in it against a backboard and then throw flaming knives at it (Note: Already throw flaming knives-Don't try it unless you have actual training in throwing knives AND fire)
Any other interesting delivery methods anyone can think of?
Gwyd
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
LOL, that was a great post, lol.

I bought my deliverer (is that even a word?) at the same time I bought the DB, it is like a squeezy bulb off a toy water squirter or jumping frog, and it has a tube in it that goes to the bottom and out the top and has a match holder, all you do is squeeze Smile Its a really nice effect, I like it.

Daz
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
How does the tube deliver powder? Isn't it made for liquid?

Steven
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Dragons Breath is a very fine powder that atomizes into the air. It almost acts like a liquid.
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
To anyone that has or knows how the Ultra Smoke 2000 works, can the dragon's breath be delivered the same way?
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I don't think I would want it delivered like the ultra smoke, but I suppose it could be done. You can deliver it any way you want really, but most methods aren't safe. And those bulbs aren't built for liquid, they are built for air. And I am very suprised at how much like liquid this stuff acts, lol, its quite mad!

Daz
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
Is it possible to buy this in the UK ? I have had no luck finding it.
also they don't sell non dairy creamer here either.
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Oska, they do sell it, I had no problem finding it. They also sell it on Ebay, quite cheaply too. I use 'coffee whitener' as a cheap alternative for practicing with. I find that it is a lot more 'fire ball'-like than DB, the DB is more of a straight line. The downside to coffee whitener is that it drops more powder on the floor, nothing much from a stage but too much for closer work.

Daz
tkgray1
View Profile
New user
thomas k gray
10 Posts

Profile of tkgray1
Back in about 1999 I went to the TAOM in Austin, tx.

I was in the dealer room walking along when one of the dealers was shooting a flame of 3 to 4 feet out of what appeared to be an empty hand. I found this to be very, very amazing and so does everyone that I've performed it for.

The magician was a young gentleman from Spain named Juan Mayoral. He markets the product under the name of "volcanic match". It's very amazing. To see it, go to Stevens and search under "volcanic match".

Up to this time I had used the flamethrower match (Kennedy) or other products (I was always a worried about igniting my body).

One time for halloween I attached the volcanic match to a Star Wars gun and made it appear like the gun was a little mini-flamthrower. I think everyone was amazed to see a little gun shoot a huge flame.

For young magicians, don't do this at school or college, its attracts a lot of attention and you could get into trouble, like arrested for carrying a chemical around. I live in Houston, TX and I've read it's even illegal to flash off a piece of flash paper in a public place (although I do all the time) so be careful where you do this and the direction in which you aim it.

So everybody wants to know where you can buy this and what do you get? I did a google search and found it at Hank Lee and Steven's. As already mentioned Steven's has a very accurate picture description of the effect.

Now the mad scientist on Leno said that simple coffee creamer (powder) will ignite if sprayed out over a flame. Well that's not magicial to me, it's a science test, and by the way, creamer won't work in the volcanic match.

Hope this helps a little

Be safe and Best regards,

Tom Gray
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
Yes, I just received my Volcanic Match, and a bottle of dragon's breath powder. It's amazing, like a large line of fire about 6 feet into the air. People really do gasp! I can't rate this product highly enough.
psyrules510
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of psyrules510
My friend and I tried his dragon's breath but it didn't work. All it did was sustain the flame a little longer but not create a huge flame.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I use all kinds of fire magic and fire magic devices, and I never got it with dragons breath, I mean it just never seemed to work like it was supposed to for me.

Get an inviso torch from Jim Pace and save yourself the hassle and aggravation of this c**p!

http://www.whiterabbitmagic.net

Steven
psyrules510
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of psyrules510
Just wondering, has anyone tried the flash wand yet? Or the Phoenix Fire Gimmick? I think it's supposed to be his newest version.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
The Phoenix is the same effect as the Inviso Torch.
I have added three improvements. It is all black, it has a shield so you cannot feel the cold on your body, the striker's flint replacement is a screw type instead of a tab that sometimes flips open.
I do not actively sell them.
I will make them for my lectures and convention work.

Jim
http://www.jimpacemagic.com
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I've always found Dragon's breath to be inconsistent at best. Or rather, I think, the "delivery system". Maybe with a more metered, surefire system to atomize it, it could be put to better use.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......tid=3642

Thought people could use this link.
tkgray1
View Profile
New user
thomas k gray
10 Posts

Profile of tkgray1
Thanks oska, yes the effect of "volcanic match" is amazing and may be purchased at the above link provided by poprocz.

gwyd: since you work with fire, to you the "volcanic match" would be the equivalent of a tt to a close-up magician, don't leave home without it. yes dragons breath is scary, its a form of explosive. the "volcanic match" is a custom-made minature metal device designed to dispurse dragons breath into a huge fire burst of 4 to 6 feet. go to http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd......agic.com to see a picture of the device(bottom right hand corner)

mystician: dependable "surefire" delivery system is what the "volcanic match" is. The volocanic match is a minature device designed to dispurse lycodoium powder or what magicians call dragon's breath.

haywire: if you have a pace inviso-torch, as do I, and you do work with fire you might want to try "volcanic match" its not expensive, nor is it "c**p" as you suggest(in my earlier post I describe why this isn't "c**p" but it was edited out). Theres no hassle or aggravation, however it may be a little scary to produce a 4 foot, not 4 inch, flame burst out of what appears to be an empty hand. Read oska's post again, it takes ones breath away. oska in england just got it and said he can't "rate it high enough"

oska: since you just got one, try this: attach the "volcanic match" to a dependalite type match pull, after the fire burst topit the device or have it attached to a reel for vanishing. During his candle act in Vegas, I think it would be kind of cool if Lance Burton were to pull a volcanic match out of his lapel, light his last appearing candle, then shoot a four foot fire blaze and look surprised. Just a thought.

Remember to be careful where you point this. I use my fire wallet all the time, but I use my "volcanic match" with discretion because it can really scare people.

You know I'm not trying to rate "volanic match" or tell someone to buy this or that. Gwyd started the thread and wants to know how to control and dispurse lycodoium powder or dragons breath to safely acheive best results. "volcanic match" is the answer to his question. Its a custom made device made for this purpose.

Best regards,

Tom Gray
tkgray1
View Profile
New user
thomas k gray
10 Posts

Profile of tkgray1
Swtrocks: yes I have ultra smoke 2000 and can answer your question.

I'm assuming from your question that you know how the ultra smoke 2000 works.

"Can dragon's breath be delivered the same way" is your question. Yes, the same principle is used with the "volcanic match" to create a huge fire burst. However, as you know the ultra smoke 2000 is more involved. The following link should answer your question, in the bottom corner is a picture of the device.

See the device at http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1595.

The device is made to hold a match although the match is not inserted into the device in the picture shown in the bottom right hand corner. The device is made to be p+++ed and the match is held at the fingertips. A gentle sq++++ze of the t+++b(not a+++pit) and you produce a fire burst as shown in the picture. The stream of dragons breath propelled out of the device is smaller than the diameter of a sewing needle(the picture shows this).

Best regards,

Tom Gray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Dragon's Breath-Is it always this big of a Pain in the bum? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL