The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope routines are funny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Why? Because the magic alone would be boring. All my life I have been thoroughly bored by most rope routines. I performed mine to music, which might have helped. Some performers are very funny (Whit Haydn), sometimes even the magic is close to interesting (Salvano), but most of the time, neither is the case.

The only rope effect I have ever really understood was the cut and restored rope. Cut, restore. That's as clear as it gets. But so often, rope routines are just confusing. The thing is, in rope routines, you REALLY NEED THE PATTER. "And now we have a rope with four/no/three/whatever ends", "And now the ropes are of the same length". Aargh! Why bother explaining? If you need to describe the effect - and, having done extensive research on this, every(!) rope magician does - than you could just as well write a letter describing the routine. It would be equally impressive.

I'm a very strong advocate of visual magic (mentalism being, of course, a different pair of shoes). Linking Rings, cups and balls, all these tricks are easy to understand. Rope routines, however, are very confusing (I watched Tabary earlier today, and now I have a headache).

-Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
My wife hates rope tricks...and now she's sick of the cups and balls! Yikes!!!

hey, how about Daryls amazing Acrobatic Knot? very visual, easy to follow and understand whats happening.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
"Why? Because the magic alone would be boring."

Only if the performer is.

"The only rope effect I have ever really understood was the cut and restored rope. Cut, restore. That's as clear as it gets. But so often, rope routines are just confusing. The thing is, in rope routines, you REALLY NEED THE PATTER."

You need to see Jeff Sheridan......Live...you will re-negotiate all of your thoughts on this issue
NO MUSIC, NO PATTER,...Gets an applause from just unraveling the coil of rope at the start.

"I'm a very strong advocate of visual magic (mentalism being, of course, a different pair of shoes). Linking Rings, cups and balls, all these tricks are easy to understand. Rope routines, however, are very confusing (I watched Tabary earlier today, and now I have a headache). "

Take any part of Tabary's routine, isolate it, and perform it well and you have beautiful magic. All together it is a little much and a little confusing, I agree, but there is so much beautiful material there.

I assume you simply do not have a love of rope magic. Some of us do. It can play very well, and especially well if you love it and find it magical. Often your own beliefs about an effect control that effects outcome. think about it. I don't particularly like the linking rings. I think it is a boring trick, It doesn't suit my character. And it has such a connection to China. You, most likely disagree. But, I believe, because of my dislike of the trick, even if I was to master all the the moves technically, and had a solid routine, if I didn't love the effect it would suck and be boring

Think about that before you go knocking whole areas of an art people spend much of their lives working on.
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Of course, I didn't really mean to condemn the whole area of rope magic - otherwise I wouldn't have posted that.

Re Sheridan: This was the one and only lecture, where I stood up and left, because it was so unbearable.

-Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2982 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
What might help rejuvinate your interest in ropes is to take a Wizard style approach to magic with them. I learned this trick from Spellbinder. He never takes a rope and cuts it in half and restores it. Instead, he holds out a hangman's noose and explains how "Nearly Headless Nick" (from Harry Potter ghost fame) got his name. In the course of his story, the rope is sliced in two by the ghost, and then gets restored just in time to get the antique rope back into the museum display case before the curator finds out it is missing. (It's described in Wizards' Journal #1 - Ghost Rope).

But the whole Wizard approach is to do magic because it is needed, not just because you can do it. He would never take a ring and put it on or take it off a rope just to prove it can be done. To Spellbinder (and any Wizard) that's just a puzzle. What makes it magic is the REASON why you need do do such a thing, and if you don't have a reason... don't do it!

I was doing the trick called "Tying the Knot" that I wrote up for Wizards' Journal #8, and Spellbinder saw me doing it with rope and demanded that I explain why on earth I would do a cut-and-restored-combined-with-ring-on-rope using a fancy Valentine Box. I didn't understand his question until he poibnted out that I could just as easily do the trick with the ribbon used to tie up the fancy Valentine gift box. Suddenly the trick made sense. Use a ribbon, not a rope. Or maybe use a necktie through neck, and not a rope through neck. It just makes more sense, and that's the Wizard Way.
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
Christoff said " watched Tabary earlier today, and now I have a headache".
Did you watch his "Knots Routine #1?
This has got to be one of the simplest, most beautiful, most puzzling, and perfectly routined rope routines I know , BUT YOU NEED TO BE INTERESTING.
Take the moves, forget about his somewhat stilted Gallic patter, and add your own. MAKE it interesting.
I do this with a storyline about how magicians and laymen differ, (we can use magic tot tie ropes, laymen have to go to the Scouts and learn how to). I do this Close-Up, and there are repeated flash-productions before their eyes. I've never been caught yet, and they have always been amazed.
I would make a guess that you are after/prefer "fast, knock-em dead" magic. Perhaps you could try "slow, considered knock-em-dead" magic, just figuring out what it really takes to knock-em-dead.
Bruce
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
"Re Sheridan: This was the one and only lecture, where I stood up and left, because it was so unbearable."

Patience in a virtue.

I understand that he may be difficult as a lector. He doesn't do the lecture circuit often and I don't believe he enjoys it. Needles to say he is not a great public speaker. But, he does deserve your time and attention. He is only one of the best magicians of our time, and The Best at card productions. I know rope to be a passion of his. I have learned some amazing things about rope magic from Mr. Sheridan. But you are missing the point of what I said to bring up his lecture. To understand what I was suggesting you need to see him perform his rope act for an audience,............of laymen. Magicians don't often get Art. They are bored with moves they know and just want to see something new. The way Jeff Presents rope makes it matter not that there is even rope. It is the pantomime that makes the trick into magic into art. The rope contrasts well with his black outfit, and draws the crowd into what is happening because all of the gestures and body movements have been considered. You have to forget about the idea that you are going to perform a trick with rope. Instead you need to perform magic while you have rope in your hands. This way of thinking should be applicable to any object.

Stuart
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It isn't about the wand, it is all about the magician.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Of all the expensive props Lucy and I have from over forty years of magic, eight feet of rope and a pair shears are the props I'm always certain will convince the audience that this is a magic show. No telling how many miles of the stuff I have used eight feet at a time.

Thank you Will Rogers! (Yes, he was also a magician.)

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1723 Posts

Profile of wally
Anyone got rope escape by billy bishop
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1584 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Wally.
I think its in his book.
Richard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope routines are funny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL