The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » How I almost stopped magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
This happened 1 month ago while shooting a documentary in a socks factory, I was measuring the light for a close-up shot of a sock machine (one like those : http://www.gamasocks.com/resim/mak1.jpg), the machine wasn’t moving, I had my hand with the lightmeter inches away from the machine when it suddenly started, my hand was “eaten” by the machine, I could feel it’s power crushing my hand, I could hear the plastic of the lightmeter crack, I quickly removed my hand from the metal trap only to find it covered in blood, I could hardly move any finger and they didn’t look very straight.
So I went to the sink to wash my hands, I started to feel dizzy, and fell on my knees, my vision blurred, I was really close to fainting, the cold water lowered the pain. I tok a look at my hand, It was still very red, I had major cuts everywhere and on nail was missing, hopefully no finger seemed broken. I then went back to my car to get some rest, there was a hissing noise, getting louder and louder, I couldn’t locate where it was coming from… because it was coming from my ears (YAY blood pressure lowering is FUN).
After this I couldn’t perform magic using my right hand for 2 weeks and had to practice using my left hand J

DON’T EVER THINK A SOCK MAKING MACHINE IS FRIENDLY, IT WILL TRY TO EAT YOUR HAND.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
That is a nightmare!!!
Glad you are Okay.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
magicdave777
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magicdave777
Did you discover that your left hand could accomplish the same as you right, with a lot of practice?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-03-31 05:32, Xargos wrote:
DON’T EVER THINK A SOCK MAKING MACHINE IS FRIENDLY, IT WILL TRY TO EAT YOUR HAND.

I never trust the sock making machines. I know they want to rule the world!

Seriously! I'm glad you didn't get maimed! You were almost a Stephen King story!

(I got my arm caught in a wringer of an old wringer washer machine once, but that was when I was a lot younger!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Now I'm back on tracks Smile and performing escapes, looks like this little incident mades me love pain Smile
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
That last line is golden though!!!

At least you have a nice story to tell anytime your about to do a piece of difficult magic with your right hand Smile
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Frightening how things can happen SO quickly like that. I worked in a warehouse where we were required to wear steel toed boots. In over 4 years the ONE day I didn't wear them my right foot was almost crushed. Until that time there had never even been a situation where I needed them.

Michael

P.S.
My wife had called me that morning saying she saw that I forgot to take them to work. She said "Be careful, it is dangerous without them!" Self fullfilling prophicy? Smile
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
You went back to the car to get some rest. WOW I am sure that cleared it right up..lol. THe car or the hospital .hhhmmmm?? I'm not making fun , that's just funny to me , I would have gotten help of some sort and got some where as fast as possiblt to hope I could get it taken care of fast and eliminate the possibility of nerve damage etc. I could not imagine leaving with out having my hands full fuctional. Magic is literally my life. That would just plain ole suck.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
doulos
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
61 Posts

Profile of doulos
Not as drastic, but bad enough. I worked as a machinist from '80 to '93. While working on a hydoform machine that formed sheet metal around aluminiun dies. I finished a run, and needed to remove a die from the table bed. I had just put on a clean pair of cotton gloves. Problem is dirty gloves have traction, clean ones don't. I tried twice to pry up the die, twice it feel down. The third time I dropped a 80lbs aluminium die on my left hand ring finger. My fingertip exploded underneath the impact. It broke my tip bone in my finger, and snapped the tendon. Luckily I had a good plastic surgeon that fixed it all up. Had me splinted down to my wrist for 6 weeks. That was almost as bad as the fingertip.

While I am glad that I had the machining experience, my hands are thankful I took up computers.

Doulos
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I used to work on copiers, and had a brand new silk tie. I bent over the running copier with the back cover removed. A gear grabbed my tie and started pulling me in at 30 copies per minute. I tried to reach the power button, but was just short, and getting shorter. 3 inches from my neck I finally got it unplugged. I had to rip my tie out of the gear.

Glad to hear that you are back in action.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Wow, glad to hear everyone is okay, I too have gotten my hand in a wringer dryer. OUCH, after that even the electric mixer didn't hurt!
Tarbell!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » How I almost stopped magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL