The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Making the Jump to 'Real' Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I was recently hired for an outdoor event with about 3,000
people expected; mostly families. It'll will be about five
hours.

I have done lots of these type things in the past but this
time is different. They hired me as a "magician" not as a
"clown". The difference is a bit artificial. I will be in
make-up. I will be a clown, but they want more magic than
usual (read no balloon twisting).

Usually, I grab the following tricks for walk-arounds:

Wilting flower

Giant coins for the joke/story "John's mother had three
children, Penny, Nick, and what's the third one's name?"

Bubba Skike's "Multiplying Tennis Balls"

Bongo Hat

I am interested in using this gig as an excuse to move into
"real" magic.

I want to know what the good people at the "Café" would
recommend I use for this gig. I figure that there are
probably some threads in the forum along the lines of "Best
Walk-Arounds."

I would be glad for anyone to point me toward one of those,
but I would also like to know what you would recommend for
my specific situation.

Thank you all.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Pom Pom poles.
Professor's Nightmare.
Haunted hanky.
These three have served me very well doing walk-around.
Good luck!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Linking rings, it plays well for 3 or 300...can be done surrounded and has instant setup. I do a four ring routine for walkaround. Chop cup has pretty much the same qualities. There are a couple chop cup routines out there that are done in the hand. I do Dennis Loomis' myself. They are 2 of magics best classics. You also can do both of these with spectator involvement which is usually a big plus.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I like using the hopping half...small reset...dare I say a deck of cards?
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Instant knot (daryl's fooler doolers) is great in these situations! Funny and interactive!
Mark
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
You asked for info from 'the good people', I represent the evil people. I take it you are wandering around doing magic for groups you encounter? Will you have a table to work on? If not there goes a bunch of those recommended to you. If you are wandering (walk around to me is more contained) then you want material you can easily carry with you, resets quickly and w/out effort, you know the drill. Since you are working different groups you do not need a great number of routines but you want things that work for small groups not just individuals. If I was in your situation (note that as you will be dressed like a clown you'll need some clown things, I am not a clown so I cannot comment on those) I'd carry:
1) Sponge balls
2) Prof Nightmare set up (note one involving a cut and restored but a set up that can just be re-used over and over).
3) A set of small rings. Ninja Rings is a nice routine, I suggest Dan Fleshmans version as the Shoot version has a component involving a table.
4) Ring and rope set up (Aldo Columbini, etc)
5) Silk and TT
6) Set up for Slydini Silks

Enough to do a half hour to 45 minutes with or for doing one or two routines. Packs small, light, nothing is consumed during the performance, all require no reset (the rings just need to be put into a certain order). You could have a belt made easily to carry everything in some color that matching your outfit. Well, that is it from the evil side.
Steve V
MaxwellGrant
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of MaxwellGrant
In open forum I can not go into great detail but....

...a GOOD nightmare set up, with QUALITY ropes....

....and some tarbell rope gimmicks....

...gives you a set where you have several different tricks and some real miracles.

I did it that way for many years. Also the malini egg bag, color changing knives, fast and loose, and now at close out prices, Pat Pages three card trick. This is a MIRACLE if you take the time to learn it.

Most people are closing out the Johnny Thompson Commercial Magic video/dvd sets, and there is a ton of info there.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here are three that will work for both magician or clown.

Dusheck's "Waltzing Matilda" on his DVD. A terrific buy! Check out his "Coin & Cord" trick on the DVD too. C&C could be done with washers as well.

Whit Haydn's "The Mongolian Pop-Knot"

Shoot Ogawa's "The Ninja Rings".
MaxwellGrant
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of MaxwellGrant
Just my opinion but the ninja rings are beyond most people's skill level.
Zamboni
View Profile
New user
Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Zamboni
Pavel's rope magic with colored knots etc is great for kids and can be used surrounded.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
The Ninja Rings routine should be obtainable by anyone willing to put forth a bit of practice. None of the moves are difficult and it is a nice routine. You have a couple versions to choose from, Dan Fleshmans or Shoots. I learned Dans.
Steve V
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Here are some easy tricks that I think a clown can do.
That doesn't sound nice, but it is what you asked for.
As for developing a more magical character that you can perform magic routines. It is a large task that every one of us needs to do to fit their self. Less clown but still silly character to the serious demonstrations of prestidigitation.

You may want to add many pockets to your clown costume.
TT and silk
Crazy Crayons
ketchup bottle squirts red string
silk to egg
egg bag
ring and rope
hat tear with mouthcoil ending
other tricks listed above.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
MaxwellGrant
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of MaxwellGrant
Just my opinion, but the TT and silk is so overdone you risk being caught by kids who were shown how it works by their scout master.
thegreatsantani
View Profile
New user
L.A.
57 Posts

Profile of thegreatsantani
3000 people 5 hours sounds like 600 people per hour, lets say 1/2 don't like magic, that's 300 per hour. 300 per hour or 5 people per minute. or avg or 12 seconds a person. Get 5-7 good routines together and do 2-3 routines per set and move on for 2.5 hours then go to the second set of 2-3 routines. If you are wandering around that should do it great. I am not going to suggest which routines as I don't know your style or what indeed you know. You will never cover everyone and that is ok.

Just my opinion

TGS
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I am truelly amazed at how bad some of the suggestions are in this thread. Some of you folks think this poor clown should carry 1000 feet of rope with him and haul a trunk around.
Steve V
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I'm not a professional, but I would try to have everything in my pockets.

I think that thegreatsantani is spot on here.

2-3 sets of cary with you magic that you swap out at mid-event. You might consider a pouch.

Consider being prepared with a 10-15 minute stand up show that you could do for a gathered crowd.

You should prabably also include:

* Let other tables see you routine (Prof nightmare, or Ring & Rope work here),
* Audience involvement card routine ("Pick a Card" works well here),
* Magician presents card routine (Like Color Monte),
* An in your hands routine (sponge balls, coins),
* young kids routine (any look don't see)

Any of your already favorite walkaround routines

Good luck, it sounds like it should be a fun challenge,

Mike

Some fun card routines
Magic is fun!!!
thegreatsantani
View Profile
New user
L.A.
57 Posts

Profile of thegreatsantani
[quote]On 2006-04-03 12:00, what wrote:

I think that thegreatsantani is spot on here.

I AM ON THE SPOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy dance Happy dance

TGS
Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
What about a D'lite?

If it will be outdoors, it may not be such a good thing.

But if there are little ones running around with those light-up shoes...D'lite makes a great opener. Just "grab" a light from their shoe and go into a routine.
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
Sponge Bunnies and Color Change Silks are two that always get a great reaction from Kids and Adults alike when I perform walk around its quick and fun. Being in Memphis I call the Mom and Dad Bunny Elvis and Prescilla and in the end they produce Lisa Marie and the Memphis Mafia. I can aproach people by asking them if they ever met Elvis or Prescilla Presley and then go into the routine. Then I ask if they would like to learn a trick and go into the Color change silks. After performing the color change silks I ask if they would like to learn how it's done and do the sucker teach a trick routine, introducing two silks but never really teaching the trick.

JM
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Making the Jump to 'Real' Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL