The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Recommended Silk Products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
As a magic hobbyist, who likes to perform for kids, I would like to get into silks. They are just so visual, that I think it is a good choice. I have never used them before, but I would like to start learning about them.

I am thinking about purchasing one of Duane Laflin's DVDs or Rice's DVD. In the meantime, I was wondering what silk trick/routines everyone likes to perform?

I have tried buying a TT, but to no avail. I went to my local magic shop and they couldn't fit one to me properly (I have extremely small hands; actually child-like) and I ordered a finger-tip one, but it was still too large and its capacity was really low.

Any tips, info, or advice is appreciated.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
The Rice Silk Encyclopedia is a very nice place to start. Not too expensive and covers just about anything you might want to do with silk. As well as some stuff you didn’t even think of. I would stay away from the DVDs till you have some Idea what you want to do. The books will cover more ground for less money and most silk stuff is very easy to learn form books.

Unless you have extremely small hands any common thumb tip should work for you. It is more likely your local magic shop did not know how a tt should fit.

That said, Rice will have many alternate methods to a tt.

Chris
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Thanks for the info! I will see what I can find in regards to the reading material you suggested.

And yes, unfortunately, I do have extremely small hands. My thumb is only 1.5" long and slender. I'm glad that I will be able to research and find alternatives to the TT.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Another question....has anyone ever purchased the Encyclopedia on CD? I was wondering how it compared with having it in book form? Is it too inconvenient?
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
I have the Encyclopedia on CD, I've never seen all of the books (I have Vol 3)...

The CD appears to be the books that have been scanned. I've printed them out because I like paper, but I also keep a copy on my laptop so if I need something to read (or research) I can find it quickly.

Dave
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
Magic4ewe

Here's two thoughts on your TT problem. You can shape it a bit by placing it in boiling water for a few ( carefully ) and then removing it and shaping it at the opening. This may take a few attempts but you can alter it with patience. Also , and guys, help me out with this since I do not have one....would a sixth F*****, cut down, work as a TT ?

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22840 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A TT is not suppose to be an exact match to your thumb, or is it suppose to fit perfectly on your thumb. It is just an hidden device the audience never sees, but if they do, it will go un-noticed. If you seen the metal ones originally sold in the 1960's, you would have laughed.

Alternatives devices are Palmo and the simplex dye tubes. These are concealed in the hand and exchanged from hand to hand and ditched when appropriate.
Ray Ouellette
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
112 Posts

Profile of Ray Ouellette
I just received the 4 volumes on CD from Hank Lee. Very convenient because of the search function.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1
"Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice"
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Laflin has loads of effects with silks. Check out anyone of his DVD/videos
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Instead of a TT, check out Jay Scott Berry and his work with the Sanada (modified) gimmick. It is a finger shell, but does more work than the TT. He also has quite a background with the TT and how to keep it in play.
Lynn Fox
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Recommended Silk Products (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL