The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Price of a Base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Hey,
I was thinking of building and selling bases for some extra cash and I was wondering what you would think the price would be on a good, well-built and deceptive base. E-mail me for a pic. Remember I am not selling them yet!

Cameron,
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
If you don't know anything about bases. It can get to be a nightmare!
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
I have already built some for my personal use and will build these with the same care.
Cameron

Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Would these be custom or one standard model?
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Custom to size. but I am not sure if I am going to sell them yet. I need to get some time on my hands
Cameron

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Magicman:

Keep an eye on magicauction.com. Every once in a while they have bases for sale.
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Would someone just tell me what the running price for a base is, PLEASE!
Cameron

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
There is no simple answer to this question. It seems like you expect a black and white response but that would be impossible. It depends on materials used, finishing methods, building methods, features, etc.....

I could tell you $1500 but for a black box that someone calls a base, the price would be too high. At the same time, that price would be to low for a really well built bevel base with chrome trim and legs, etc.

Maybe some more details about what exactly you will be building will find you a more specific answer...
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
I'm not too sure how you can just expect to simply build bases - a base is a method not an illusion. Personally I like to build the whole thing, at least that way I can ensure the prop is designed, built and finished the way I like. Building illusions for money only is not ever going to be a particularly rewarding occupation.

The price would depend on so many factors - materials, finish, size, design, deceptive properties, trap configuration, style and mounting of legs and castors etc etc etc. Then add into that your reputation as a builder too which provides some sort of surety on your work from the purchaser's point of view. A base should be an integrated part of something else so what is really important is the "something else" - the box or framework or whatever which forms the actual illusion that is performed for an audience. The base needs to fall into line under it and integrate with that - I always think the top bit needs to come first.

In terms of pricing it, you need to work out your materials, labour and profit margin. You'll need to decide those for yourself based on what product you're intending to produce, your own expectations for a return, and then compare that to the current market as a way of assessing what you've come up with.

Chris.
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
$1.00
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Well- lets say I had an idea for an illusion- and I need your expertise on making the base super-deceptive. would you charge for consultation (remember I'm in south africa) but I am just starting out with illusions and wish to build several "base-based " illusions...pm me if you wanna talk.
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Put up the pictures of yore bases on the internet, then I can say how mutch I would pay for bases that you build.

But then again, I still am building my bases by miself Smile
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
This thread can't be serious.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Oh, but it can...

If you really want to know how much you can sell these for you have to think of two parties; yourself, and the client. Then, think about how much a client would be willing to pay for your base, and how much you'd be willing to let it go for. As has already been said, you have to take your building materials and time into account and then add your markup (A.K.A. Profit). You also have to ask yourself a few other questions. Questions like; how does my base stack up with other solutions out there? How do the building techniques I've employed stand up against those already in the industry? Am I offering anything special that people would be willing to pay more for? What is my target audience?

Ask yourself those questions and more, then go back to the original two: How much would someone pay for this, and how much am I willing to let it go for? Everything in magic is pretty unique so it is very hard for us to put a price on anything. So, you must price it, and hope that people deem it worth the money.

Good luck.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'll take five of them at $1.00 each.
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Thanks for your responses. As for Curtis, Farrel and Jimhlou, I thought the magiccafe was a place for help not smart*** remarks. (self edited) I can see why you are trying to be funny, but for the poster it doesn't help them.

I will try to put a picture of one on the internet asap.

Cameron
Cameron

magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
You can look at pictures here http://www.putfile.com/magicofcameron The pictures don't do justice as they are too close.
Cameron

Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Magicman414,

I looked at your pictures, and all joking aside, I think you did pretty good. While I see definate need for improvement in some areas of the base/full illusion design, I can see that you are on the right track. I do not build my illusions, but I own quite a few "Big Name" built illusions. You seem to be on the right track. I would reccomend purchasing some good books/videos on the subject including, but not limited to, Rand Woodbury's Base/Deceptive Steps book. No matter what anyone says, keep your head up and stick with it. Keep learning, and keep working, and it will come to you. Some day you may be the next "Big Time" illusion builder.

"No rest for the wicked"

Sincerely,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Magicman414- if you're serious about this, you'll probably have to end up building bases on a case-by-case basis, for the reasons Chris Murphy described. Once you go that far, though, it may be a better route to build an entire illusion. It's also easier to price, as you can look at similiar illusions and see their going rate- it's tough to do that for bases alone (because, like has been said, they're not often sold stand alone.) Additional advice- don't just copy someone elses illusion in this case (you'd hate to be accused of selling "knock-offs"), design your own effect if you can.

The other option is selling the bases on eBay or another auction site- you'll get what the market will bear. Be sure to set a realistic minimum bid, though- factor in materials and labour, as well as experience. Experience is the key, and difficult to price; you can build a Zig-Zag for less than $200 in materials... what you're paying for when you buy one is the skill of the builder- you know it'll be durable, all the parts will fit together properly, and it will have a top-notch paint job- all things that only come with experience.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
The base looks great t0[lace a prop on it... But try building a base where you can just produce the hot babe from behind a curtain.... Look at the instant babe base... That base is the base of all bases... Create a raised platform type of base.... if you can... jsut a thought or two....

SO, I will raise my offer from $1.00 to $600. eheheh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Price of a Base (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL