The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sefalaljia "mini-spirit cabinet" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Some people may remember the Sefalajia... it is pre-Dean's Box and is a 5-phase routine. Anyway, I was trying to find any drawing, etc. I could to build one. (I'm not interested in the Busby cabinet unless it will help in the construction of the original Sefalajia! (Busby cabinet is a version of James' Sefalajia II) I know
The Sefalajia was first published in The Jinx #69 December 2, 1939. If anyone has this in their library of books; or if you can point me towards another source for this, I'd be greatly appreciative for the help!

Bryan
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There is an entire chapter on Sefalaljia effects in "Stewart James' Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" beginning with an explanation of the original Sefalaljia box. I hope I'm talking about the same effect you are, since the spelling in James' book has an extra "L" in it. However, since it was Stewart James' own invention, I can't imagine it is not the same.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I think it appears in 13 Steps to Mentalism also.

Thanks,
Richard
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
In Jinx James writes:

"The box I used was a radio cabinet. It's size is 7" x 7" x 17". ... The holes at each end are 1 1/4" in diameter. ... The screw-hook is of a #5 size. This is in the exact center of the lid, on the inside, being in line with the holes of the cabinet's ends."

The picture shows it to look pretty much like an open shoe box.

This was only description of the construction of the box with the exception of "the only bit of fakery" and falls under the heading of a secret and can't be posted here. Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Jeff,

You've got me headed in the direction I need to go in! Feel free to PM me with the "bit of fakery" otherwise.. maybe you can help me find a copy of Jinx?

Thank you for your help...
Bryan
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
Bryan,

I just realised this post seems to be more active than the similar one you had in the boxes and tubes forum so I'll put this info here too... there is a description of Sefalaljia in Annemann's Practical Mental Magic which is available in a Dover edition. It's a five phase routine and the wording is an exact match for that which Jeff Dial has quoted above so it's probably directly reproduced from the Jinx. It's probably going to be easier to find this Dover book than to find a specific issue of the Jinx.

Chris.
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
It appears in Annemans practical mental effects chapter 6 page 89. I have built some myself from these instruction there are pretty clear as to how to build it. I hope this helps.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Does anyone have a copy of this? Or are there other great effects in the books you feel I'd benefit from?

Bryan
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Great book. Cheap. Even if this is the only thing you use it's worth the $8-10.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
They still sell Spirit Cabinets at Owens. The newer Sheishin No Cabinets from Viking also use the same principles. I picked up a copy of Haunted House by the Great Leon, this goes even further than Sefalaljia and incorporates many effects. If you do away with the house and replace it with an antique cabinet, you've got a great effect.
I've got two in the final stages of manufacturing in my store. If you PM me I'll give you some details.

Simon
Only a few days left of the Walpurgis Special at MagiCurios
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sefalaljia "mini-spirit cabinet" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL