The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Rubik's Cube with a Gospel message? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
I'm one of those warped people who have learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube. (I can solve a randomly mixed cube in under 3 minutes, but not in 15 seconds like world-champion "speed cubers" can.) Anyway ... I digress.

What I'm wondering -- how can I use that as a Gospel illustration? We had an evangelist come to our church not long ago (Moses Caesar) who used the cube to discuss the "puzzle of pain". Very effective, and it fit well with his sermon, but that's his material and his style, not exactly mine.

One thing I came up with -- I have a segment at the beginning of my show that discusses "What magic isn't, and what it is" (using things like a rabbit out of a hat and What's Next?) I could add the cube in (mixed in a certain way so that I could solve it quickly) and discuss how some people see magic only as a puzzle to try to figure out how it's done, but that's not the point of magic either.

Don't have the "gimmicked" cube. Could buy that, if you think that would be more effective in a magic show than this "show of skill".

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."
-- Philippians 4:23
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I really like Daryl's version (well the version he bought the rights to)... and you can use his patter almost all the way.

I like the idea of trying to do soemthing yourself, almost being driven crazy and then remembering you have a way out. For Daryl, it was being a magician.

For this presentation, it could be having Jesus. We work and we work and we work, trying to make things right.. but to no avail. However, remembering to give things up to God. (You throw it in the air) Catching it solved.

One idea.

RevJohn
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Steve Varro had a routine with the Rubiks cube. Contact him at Dock Haley's website.www.gospelmagic.com
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
From our limited perspectives, things can look very complicated. God's vision of the world can handle all perspectives and angles, and is not even constrained by human understandings of time. What looks complicated beyond belief to us, is child's play to God.
MagiKen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of MagiKen
[Start / quote]
On 2006-04-04 09:13, RickyD wrote:
I'm one of those warped people who have learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube. (I can solve a randomly mixed cube in under 3 minutes, but not in 15 seconds like world-champion "speed cubers" can.) Anyway ... I digress.

What I'm wondering -- how can I use that as a Gospel illustration? We had an evangelist come to our church not long ago (Moses Caesar) who used the cube to discuss the "puzzle of pain". Very effective, and it fit well with his sermon, but that's his material and his style, not exactly mine.

One thing I came up with -- I have a segment at the beginning of my show that discusses "What magic isn't, and what it is" (using things like a rabbit out of a hat and What's Next?) I could add the cube in (mixed in a certain way so that I could solve it quickly) and discuss how some people see magic only as a puzzle to try to figure out how it's done, but that's not the point of magic either.

Don't have the "gimmicked" cube. Could buy that, if you think that would be more effective in a magic show than this "show of skill".

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

[end/quote]

Dear Ricky D,
I like the cube because it is well known as a "child's" puzzle toy and not offensive to some church types who may be bothered by dice. I use it in three gospel effects. I have redone my die-box in the Rubik’s Cube theme. I use it to speak about door-to-door evangelism. The first effect is when the cube is found back at work telling all his friends the good news he has just found. The second effect is when, in constant connection with the Lord, he finds his life straightening out. I use a gimmicked cube to show how difficult it is for most people to solve themselves, but when they just give the problem to God, (I then toss the scrambled cube in the air and catch it as it comes down solved.) His Spirit changes us through a process some call sanctification. For the third effect, you have to switch cubes. I made my second cube into a block cord. (For that, you have to glue some of the rows together so they do not fall apart when you drill the hole, but at least one row can be left to still move, if you drill through in the right direction.) The switch is easy since I use a small square circle to represent the factory he works at. I put the first cube back there again saying that the people at work noticed the changes and his personal witness became even stronger. Then I admit that, in this world, temptations will always come to try to tie you up and tie you down. However, whether friends or enemies are the ones holding the line and trying to pull your strings, in response to prayer, God will always get you out of their traps if you will but ask.

Although cryptic as to magical methods, this should be clear enough if you are familiar with these standard magic props. If not, I recommend them to you as still available from your favorite magic dealer. The time and effort to modify or make your own Rubik’s Cube version will be well worth the effort in many shows and souls to come.

Three minutes to solve any Rubik’s mess? (Long, low whistle.) Man, you must be a genius! Half the time I wind up pealing off the little colored stickers and putting them back on in new places. (OK, more than half the time.)

As to your original problem, if I had your talent, I might switch for an unscrambled ungimmicked cube instead of the block cord version. (Sorry, you can’t switch a second time, once you point out the holes, and thus use three cubes. At least I don’t think you should go in that direction. Not with the same switch anyway.) Then you could have someone “try” to mix up “Mr.Cube” again. Then solve it as you say that after awhile you even learn how to solve some of the easier problems yourself as you grow in the Lord, but always remember it is God through His Spirit who is leading you and giving you the talent and ability to do it.

God's Blessings,
MagiKen (Michigan)
Magic makes a difference when you care enough to make it magical
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
I have several idea with Rubik's Cubes since I'm known as the Rubik's Cube Magician. Check out my Web site at http://www.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM and e-mail me if you have any idea about Rubik's Cubes!
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Rubik's Cube with a Gospel message? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL