The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has David Blaine completely lost it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
francis farrell
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of francis farrell
Thanks IceRaven. I have a tape of the show and will listen for the reason next time I play it.

I thought the hand through the window part was good.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Yes, I know that this one has been beaten to death, but I just needed to get it off my chest. I am not particularly a fan, though I won't ever be accused of blasting him either. I appreciate his drumming up interest in magic without wearing a paper bag over his head, for goodness sake. I have so many people with "magical curiosity" that I run into now, it is awesome. Not only that, we have the opportunity to either be skillful or not, just as Mr. Blaine does. Thanks,
Mark
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-12-11 10:37, francis farrell wrote:
I saw Blaine on Ross, putting the needle through his hand. I thought it looked pretty good and several people mentioned it to me the following day. Even though he SAID it was an illusion some were insisiting that he had put the needle through!

It's really more of a stunt than an illusion.

Think of this. When most people get a shot, the needle is so fine that you often don't see a hole or get any bleeding afterwards. Blaine uses a similiar needle to puncture his hand with little or no visible damage. Pretty good stunt actually, and not that dangerous as long as the needle is nice and sterile.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
francis farrell
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Interesting, Flip. He definitely called it an illusion. So this would be a situation where the magician actually DID perform what the audience thought he performed but denied it. I think we're going all post-modern here!

Are you SURE that's what he did?
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I'm pretty sure. With care, I've heard it's even possible to put the needle through the hand and have it come out the palm. I've read accounts where Indian Fakirs would legitimately put very, very thin needles through their cheeks and other parts of their bodies legitimately with little or no harm.

It's not baffling when you relate it to the experience of getting a shot. That needle goes fairly deep and it's often a bloodless procedure with little or no evidence of a hole.

Cool that Blaine would resurrect such an old concept tho'...

Just because he said it's an illusion doesn't necessarily make it so. Not having seen the particular incident you're relating it's hard to be 100% sure.

Sometimes magicians actually do as they say believe it or not!
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
Folks: This is getting tedious, but let's stay grounded and mature. It is okay to criticize-as long as it's done in a civilized manner.

It is a fact that some of the Blaine specials are marketed and advertised as magic when indeed the hours include very little magic-which is, factually, bad marketing and bad advertising. And when the non-magical stunts are advertised as such, then they're presented in such an amateurish, badly-directed, badly-written and poorly executed way (this is from artistic viewpoints in terms of writing, blocking, directing, suspense, development, narrative and explanation, all of which suffer greatly on his shows no matter how you cut it from a professional standpoint) that the shows end up very disappointing.

It is fact that the shows have received poor ratings and lousy reviews. It's simply the old standby-presentation. If the shows were produced by some real pros-as many magicians have suggested-and the writing, staging, stage direction, art, design, presentation, production, narrative and suspense factors were improved, then we wouldn't see these streams! And we'd see compliments!

But this isn't "bashing," but rather the same constructive criticism that has appeared in national newspaper, magazines, television shows, radio shows and websites.
francis farrell
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

I did read somewhere that Blaine was researching old tricks in order to revive them. So, perhaps that acounts for the needle through the palm. Well, maybe magicians do mean what they say. but he said it was an illusion so, if he means what he says, then he didn't put a needle through his hand.

I think it is perfectly legitimate for the magicican to weave a web of deceit. If he put a needle through his hand then this is a stunt. If he tricked us into thinking he put a needle through his hand, then it's magic. Personally, I'm more impressed by the latter. Which is not to say that I am unimpressed by the former!

Thinking about it again, on the Jonathan Ross show the needle did go right through the hand. Before it pierced the skin you could see the skin buldging with the pressure. Perhaps this is the clue that it is a fake? I'm wondering if a needle fine enough to pass through the back of the hand to the other side-without causing bleeding- would be able to make the skin buldge in the way that it did.

But there you go, he's got us talking.
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
In my opinion, David Blaine is no more a great magician than Yoko Ono is a great singer, though both have aquired money and fame. Both were contrived by the forces of marketing, not talent.

DB is a television creation. The odds of seeing him perform on stage in front of a live audience for an hour are the same as seeing Felix the Cat in the flesh with his bag of tricks entertain a live audience. In my opinion David Blaine the magician only exists on our TV screens. Doesn't make him bad, just in a different class that's forming in that big house "with many rooms" called Magic.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Actually your analogy is wrong. Yoko Ono had tremendous powers of marketing at her disposal and has never been a popular artist in the music field. Marketing alone has never made anyone with no talent successful, just look at Pia Zidora.

Blane is not a success because of marketing. He's a success because he is talented at what he does and he has found a popular vehicle where his brand of magic shines and people are interested in watching.
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
He should have took some cards up there with him, he could do tricks to the camara or throw them over the crowd. That would have been funny Smile
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
You don't have your facts straight. He is not a magician first of all. You can even HEAR him say this. I used to think that David Blaine was kind of dumb and that he was a freak that went up to random people on the streets scaring people (hence the name, mysterious stranger) and he does. You do not see this because it is edited. Blaine has tricks of his own.

My friend saw him in LA and said he was MUCH better off camera. So... It just goes to show you people's magic off camera.

-Max
white hats rule.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has David Blaine completely lost it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL