The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of nails...Want to try something new, looking for opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Allright...Keep in mind that I already do bed of nails work (Basic stuff, nothing too insane). I want to try something I have never seen done, and am curious if anyone has done it or if it is even possible.
As of right now, I sandwich myself between two beds (Full size on the bottom, smaller one on my chest and stomach) and smash a brick on the one on my chest. I also have a person (Or persons) stand on my chest when I am not sandwiched. What I want to do is have a person sit on the bed that is on my chest (My partner...Not some unknown from the audience).
The concerns that come immediately to mind are the chest bed wobbling when they get on, and that it is a smaller bed, so the pressure per nail tip is increased.
Any thoughts on how I might do this in relative safety? (Although if the reaction to this concept is a resounding NO from those more experienced than I, I will definately scrap the idea, so no need to shout)
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Gwyd
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
If you go to my site you can see me do my version of what you are talking about. My upper bed is a bit bigger than what you are talking about but you will get the idea. Just click on the video under the sideshow heading. http://www.underworldent.com
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Place your arms perpendicular to your body, and hold the upper bed with your hands. That provides quite a bit of extra stability. You'll be surprised at how easy it seems, compared to how you look at it now.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Oh yes, elbows on the floor.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Thanks Lector...Loved the video. Made my partner watch it just to see how far this sort of act can go. She was impressed. From the way you did it, I can definately see the advantages of a longer top bed.
Harley...Elbows on the floor...The reason that I didn't think of this is my bottom bed is too wide. I'll mod it tonight and have a go at it this weekend!
Thanks both for your help!!
Gwyd, still a stripling at this sort of thing, but growing fast...
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
No problem, always glad to help. If you have any questions this is the place to come. There are a lot of very talented people on this site.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
Have been doing this for a while. We have one person stand on the small bed of nails on the chest (audience member). You have to talk to them and reassure them that you know what you are doing. Two people are used to help them up onto the bed and to help them get down. This also helps to steady them. This has also been done using only one person to steady the audience member. It's all a matter of trust.

:stout: Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Just a thought from the previous posts above (I don't do the bed of nails, so won't be trying this out myself..... yet).

Rather than having the top bed an upsidedown bed as described above, why not have it as a two sided bed?

You lay on the bottom bed as before, place the two sided bed on your chest and then have your partner lay on that bed.

You would have to work out the logistics of getting the partner onto the other bed, but I can't see why this isn't possible.

How high could you make the stack?

Three or four people would look awsome!!!

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Take care,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Did something like this a few years ago--three person BoN stack with a guy on a rolla bolla juggling on the top guy. Didn't do the double sided ved tho; I like that idea.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I was just thinking rola bola and then I read your post Stephon.

Anyone ever done a rola bola of nails?

Replace the normal board with one of nails. Could be cool.

I'm glad you liked the double sided board idea though. I think I might have to learn BoN and then get someone else (who weighs A LOT less) to learn it too.

Take care,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of nails...Want to try something new, looking for opinions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL