We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » True impromptu effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
The list of "totally improtu" magic is a long list, and this is good old fashioned magic that every magician should learn.

I also find it is good to be prepaired where ever I go, so I always carry a few utilitiy devices with me in case I am put on the spot. Here is the list of ulitlities I always have on me:

Finger Tip
Spider Pen
PK Ring

All of these pack small, are easily concealed or worn naturally, and each can be used for a multitude of effects.

I never leave home without it,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Crazy mans handcuff, and Kollosil Killer are always ready.
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
There are 87 impromptu effects with the human body. Some really cool ones as well.
Check out this book: http://www.magicmystery.co.uk/bodytricks.htm

Stephen
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
On the Spot is a good DVD for Impromptu magic.
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
Speaking of effects with the human body, the twisting arm is hard to beat for a knockout impromptu effect.

Rob
Bill Rubie
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
57 Posts

Profile of Bill Rubie
I always carry a
Hot Rod
Thumb Tip
quartered Dollar
When a person starts off a factual statement with "They Say"...

Please ask, who are they?

Bill
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Sounds like you had some fun, gink103. I was in a similar situation recently at a wedding reception. I did:

* cigarette manipulation with a borrowed cigarette (learned from Bill Tarr's book)

* bill switch (no TT) by Manuel Muerte

* 3 Coins Across (Wilson)

* A Ring & String routine using moves from Wilson's "Ring Leader" (and a borowed ring and a ribbon)
Sandwichical
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
134 Posts

Profile of Sandwichical
I feel naked without my usual load of stuff. If I absolutly must go "naked", I bring a pen(recap), half dollar, heirloom wallet, and I always wear rubberbands and my time machine (I just heard back from people I performed for in March, and that was the one trick they mentioned). I have a body routine out of Andrew Mayne's Body Morphin' that I use(the ear penetration kills.) I also like to use a series of predictions from Banacheck's Psychological Subtleties. Especially at a college party, carry a TT for vanishing cigarettes, that will get people to notice you.
-Sandwich
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24210 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's a thought. Over the past few months, our IBM ring has been discussing "challenge magic." This is magic performed at a moment's notice with objects at hand.

Think in terms of the basic effects, then try coupling them with whatever is around you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
For true impromptu work, learn to be a jazz mugician, i.e. be able to improvise with what is in your environment. If you were a real magician, you would not have to bring any props at all. So work with what is there. In a restaurant, this may be what is already on the table. Other environments may have different items and potential for effects. Blues and jazz musicians solo and improvise all the time. Most magicians are stuck with their "routines." Try to get away from this and work on extemporaneous patter that comes from the audience and the environment. Comedians get their workouts night after night without props, mostly from audience feedback. It's scary but rewarding as you become skilled at adapting to all situations and reading your audience rather than concentrating on your "script." Vernon had a card trick that changed every time: he had at least 52 ways of doing it so he'd mix it up every time. This is true improvisation. Magicians have tools, i.e. props and methods, just like musical jammers do. Try letting go of your scripted routine and participate in the "wonder" of creating magic that fools even you! By tailoring your routines to what is there and to what the audience is telling you in its responses, you are really creating magic, and your audience will feel the personal touch that comes from your spontaneous performance.
nbps05
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of nbps05
Stigmata by wayne houchin
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Stigmata is truly a great impromptu effect.
I also recommend the "next" lecture notes by daniel garcia.
it includes only impromptu effects. I use every single one from that lecture notes on a regular basis when I perform in bars.
all the best

-Matt

p.s. someone asked earlier about Infusion by andrew mayne.
yes , I get really good reactions using that effect.
keep in mind that I always use it after I perform several effects.
the audience's mood is already built up and that is how I get the reactions I get from Infusion.
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Stigmata by Wayne Houchin. you need nothing at all...only to have arms !!!
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
764 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I like the idea of "challenge magic".
It gets the creative senses flowing.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
"Silver Dream" by Justin Miller.....just needs three coins (can be borrowed)
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2229 Posts

Profile of todsky
Eva, that's a great bunny signature! I had no idea punctuation could do that!
As for impromptu magic, all you need is a long-sleeved shirt to do the Hand Twister (I'm not sure if that's the official name), where your hand twists more than 360 degrees.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Sven Heubes
View Profile
New user
Duesseldorf, Germany
59 Posts

Profile of Sven Heubes
Coming back to the CT. Just met Ran Pink on FISM. He's got beautiful ideas & thoughts on the CT. All in his book "Think Pink"... Really brillant stuff!
If you were half as good as you think you are, you would be double as good as you think you are...

Dai Vernon
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Hey all you Sinful lovers, don't forget about the other impromptu pop can effect: Fizz Master. It's a killer, completely impromptu trick.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6661 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi all! Smile

A TRULY impromptu effect is Sinful from Ellusionist. I don't have Stigmata, but yes, that is also...but Sinful...in case you're not familiar...

The coin, and the unopened can of soda are BOTH borrowed...the coin is marked...and with NO switch or gimmicks, ends up INSIDE the can. No question what has happened. I just got this, so haven't performed it yet.

I've not run into many effects like this, where ALL the props are truly borrowed and ungimmicked. Really, it's a killer!!!

Doug
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Recapped, and I occasionally do PK touches (it's mostly for practice).

What is Time Machine?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » True impromptu effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL