The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » You get what you pay for. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All,

Whenever something nice happens to me I like to write about it so here goes:

I don't remember exactly when I learned this lesson. It might have been in my early twenties (about ten years ago) when I finally learned that you do, in fact, get what you pay for. Sometimes you'll come across an amazing product and then find something similiar for a lot less. Why? And is there a benefit in paying the extra dollars for the first one? It took me a long time to realize that usually the products weren't as similiar as I thought and that, apart from quality, I was paying for customer service.

It's only now in my wise old experienced years ( Smile ) that I understand what that means. It means that if I have a question, there will be someone there to help me. If something breaks, there's someone that can let me know my options. If somethings is the wrong size or colour, I can perhaps exchange it. If it doesn't work, maybe I can return it. The list goes on. Put simply, options are worth the price to me.

And as a note to all the sellers out there: giving your customers excellent service is worth it's weight in gold because excellent service begets loyalty...

And that's what's happened to me with Jaz at Wizard PK. His customer service has been nothing short of outstanding and I am a loyal customer for life. To Jaz,

Thank You,

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
sisocialworker
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sisocialworker
Just got the funhouse from chance wolf...it is solid...tried it on 7yo son...he loved it..worth every penny....equal to the ABC I got a while back
you can get what you pay for...I did with the funhouse...no regrets..
keep those quality props comin chance.....a side table...wiz cote are on my list...put me on the reserved list now for them.

Thanks for ensuring you can get good quality magic

Barry
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
I have felt that way about Stevens Magic. They have sold me quality props for over 25 years,and their customer service is second to none.

Bob
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
I'd add Denny and Lee, from which I purchase stuff I could get cheaper elsewhere. Denny is very sensitive to what I think is one of the most tragic developments in magic, the decline of the traditional magic shop. When I was starting magic 50 years ago, Tannen's used to be that kind of place, where you could walk in and expect someone like Jim Herpick to help you with a sleight you were working on. As long as there was evidence that you were serious, they'd take the time to work and talk with you. This kind of shop is yesterday's papers. Bad. But Denny's outfit tries to sustain the tradition. So he gets a lot of my business.
best,
Alan
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I second Denny and Lee's on that one. Denny has been nothing but pure help in my return to magic. He won't sell you anything that he isn't willing to stand behind. He is willing to help any aspiring magician that takes their magic seriously whether it be helping with a slight or pointing in the right direction. I'll sure miss this kind of gratuitous knowledge and service when it is no longer.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Hi Again,

I would just like to add that my post at the top can also be applied to Rick Haslett and his team at http://www.ahouseoffire.com/ I just purchased a fire wallet from Rick and not only is the wallet exceptional but he has the customer service to match. An excellent and wonderful purchase and experience.

Thanx Rick!

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Is this the place this?
To believe is Magic.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Hi Harishjose,

I'm thinking you're asking if this is the proper forum to post these comments? I think so. An imortant part of buying and effect, in my opinion, is the kind of service you'll receive after purchasing.

Sincerly,

Jamie D. Grant
Shaunus
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Shaunus
HI Jamie,

I think that is great that you are making a point of noting the good things that are happening to you in the magic circle. You are a good role model for others who might tend to critisize. I think that shows in your column too, since you only seem to review magic that you like, and you don't spend any time or energy criticising magic. This is a great quality.

Shaun.
Steve Oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Churchville,MD.
155 Posts

Profile of Steve Oxford
Jamie, I have to agree with you about customer service. I just had the pleasure of experiencing customer service above and beyond.
I bought the art of card splitting by Marty Grams when it first came out, but could never get acrobatic cards just right. I had talked with Marty at Bob Littles' convention last year and he gave me some tips and advice on where I was going wrong. Thursday I called him again to ask questions and he invited me over to his place for a jam session. I had a one on one for over three hours, and can now make acrobatic cards perfectly. There are not many people who would take the time, let alone sit with you one on one and cover every step like this. I offered to pay him for his time, and he would not hear of it, in fact I stayed for dinner with his family. (He is a fantastic cook as well)
When we hear so much negative about people today, we just feel compelled to mention when someone does something nice. It is people like Marty, Jaz & Denny that make me happy I am in this hobby.
S.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
I'll have to re-ask what Harishjose did a few posts ago:

Is this the proper place for this thread? I looked and looked and could not find an effect called "You get what you pay for" Smile

If it is, then why would you not do the same for those selling books, DVDs, or even PDFs?

Might I recommend the "Tangled Web" area? I can forsee a slew of negitive posts about bad experiences coming just around the corner...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » You get what you pay for. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL