The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Spy Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I am currently putting together an act with a Mission Impossible/James Bond-esque type of feel to it. Does anyone have any ideas or input on what might fit in here?

Thanks,

Keir
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Escapes. LOTS of escapes. And beautiful women. LOTS of beautiful women.

Maybe some quick change material as well? Assiatant's Revenge illusion, Sub trunk done as the Evil Overlord capturing the Super Spy and pulling the Old Switcheroo on him/her...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I guess I should mention, this one is a solo act and is done to music.
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Cords of Phantasia through your trench coat?
Owen Anderson
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Can you enlighten me on this effect? I am unfamiliar with it.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Keir,

Years ago... Good-'ol David Copperfield did a Bond-styled routine that involved several different illusions and it was titled "GoldFinger". It was a fun piece to watch. He used an audience member's finger-ring and tied the whole story together with the person's ring. If you get a chance, try to see this!!!

Bryan
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Mini cigarette manipulations- basically cool manipulation stuff.
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Use some appearing props, like the appearing pole or a production suitcase, etc. I second the quick changes. Those would be great if you were wearing a tux and went right into a spy outfit.
-Tyler
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Quote:
Can you enlighten me on this effect? I am unfamiliar with it.

Try searching the Café using: rope through body, grandmother's necklace, or cords of phantasia to start.

Among other places: Tarbell 1, Rice 2, & Mark Wilson's course.
Owen Anderson
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Thanks for the ideas... Bryan, my friend John T. Sheets did mention to me that Copperfield did a spy act at one time but I do not know where to find it nor do I know what year he did it. I would like to see it though. I have some great ideas so far but need to make the routine a little longer at this point. I am curious to see what other ideas some of you might have.

Thanks again for all your ideas so far...
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
A spy act is a little clichéd now, don't you think?

It seems every second magician I see is doing a Mission Impossible/James Blonde act.

If you're going to go for it, at least update it a little-- wait until early May for MI3 to come out and the new Bond film later in the year. Watch them for inspiration. And for the love of the sweet baby Jesus if you're going to use the theme music please be a little different from every second generic stage magician and use an updated theme/track - the new Kanye West Mission Impossible theme will be out in the next couple of weeks *hint hint*.
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
For a little inspiration you might get a kick out of a music cd called
Ultra Lounge: The Crime Scene.

It's Volume 7 in the 'Ultra Lounge' series and features spy/crime theme music from the 1950-60s.
Owen Anderson
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
151 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
Another Denver area magican has been doing a comic-magician-spy act for years... you might want to run some ideas past him... Just a thought.

Omnibozo
Denver Area noncomic-nonmagician-CIA leaker
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-04-07 07:17, Owen Anderson wrote:
Cords of Phantasia through your trench coat?

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
P. 260
Called "Rope and Coat Release"

I know "Cords of Fantasia" as a completely different effect.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Bryan-
Copperfield's act was actually called Ring Finger.

Goldfinger was an actual Bond Film.

Ring Finger was in one of the very early Copperfield specials, I believe in the late 70s.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Café Member, James Munton, does a wonderful "spy-act" as one of his kid shows which is also entertaining with adults. His show is far from "cliched". He recently performed for a friend's niece's birthday party and was the talk of the party. He is also a talented corporate magician, does private parites, and has performed at the White House.

He has also made the popular DVD, How To Teach a Birthday Magic Class DVD with James Munton.

His website is http://www.jamesmunton.com

In the interest of full disclosure James is a friend who I met at the local magic shop and a heck of a nice guy.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Thanks for all the input. James Munton does have a cool site with the Spy image on some of the pages. I have a few really clever acts put together, it is just too short right now so I am still looking.

I think I will join up with Net-Flix again and get some Bond, MI movies for some inspiration.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Spy Act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL