The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Last Night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Last night I volunteered at a nursing home. My wife is a nurse and works with another nurse who has a friend that is a director of nursing at this nursing home. Well, a while back they got to talking. There is a much beloved old lady that had her birthday last night. My wife found out about it a month ago. It appears this old lady went to nursing school when she was young and started working at this same nursing home. She kept going to college and getting more licenses and promotions until she was the director of nursing there AND a registered nurse. She worked there her entire life then, after her husband died and she had a stroke, she became a resident.

Of course she's treated like a queen. But she has lukemia and this will probably be her last birthday. Word was passed around among nurses, they wanted to make the party wonderful. Word spread all over town. The Shriners came by, they had a miniature circus. There were restaurants that had cook outs. There was a concert pianist as well as a quartet from the Boston Pops. There was dancing, it was beautiful and lasted all day.

I performed sponge balls just for her. During the first phase I noticed that although she had a massive smile and was nodding her head, I think she couldn't see the balls. Her eyes weren't following them. But every time I hit an 'applause point' she would squeal with delite and laugh like a little girl.

Finally I held out a ball and closed my hand. I opened the hand and said, "IT'S A DUCK!" with a flourish. Her eyes lit up and she clapped and squealed with delight. I just kept doing 'stuff'. Most of it wasn't even magic. I would toss a half dollar into the air, catch it and she would laugh and squeal. I would bow with a grand flourish.

Finally they told me that my time was up. I kissed Amy's hand and told her she was beautiful. She smiled and I think blushed.

Amy's family just called me (of COURSE I gave them my business card!) Amy passed away peacefully right after breakfast this morning while holding hands with her daughter.

Nope, didn't get paid money for that show.

You know, sometimes you get paid the most for the shows that don't bring you any money.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Wow.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
My eyes are a little shiny...ahem...must be allergies.

Thank you for sharing that experience--with her and with us.

-Daniel
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Wow, that's wonderful. Im sure it was a pleasure to perform for her. Sounds like quite an interesting story. Let her rest in peace.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Last Night (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL