The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown’s Pure Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Did someone have the first edition of Derren’s book?

what was left out from the H&R edition?

{I'm asking since I have the H&R edition}

Yaniv Deautsch
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
I don't have the first edition but I have seen a copy.

There are at least two effects which were described in the first edition which are not descibed in the second edition.

The two effects I am aware of are

1) an effect where a spectator in a trance raises his arm at the same time as another spectator who is standing behind him (spec one also has eyes closed)

2) a spectator is guided through a memory with DB writing down key elements before they are mentioned (prediction style).

It's hard to get a copy.

(and the second edition is currently out of print I believe)

Andrew
Gavin W
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Gavin W
I got the third edition about 8 months ago, only just thought to look at the edition number. Smile

Hope I'm not missing even more. Smile

Gavin
brainman
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of brainman
I also own the 3rd ediition... would also be very interested concerning the missing things!!!

Did the three editions cost the same?

P Smile
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Derren's book did have two effects in the first edition that he lectured with, but were removed. Derren is a friend and the two effects in question were removed as one is part of his act and is very much his own routine and it should remain so. I think Derren was a little too generous the first time round as we all have effects that we like to keep to ourselves. The second is not suitable for all conditions and the effect itself has to be very carefully judged in terms of when and when not to perform it, due to performance skills and safety.. However, trust me, Pure Effect whatever edition you own is a very fresh book with interesting ideas and text. It certainly made me laugh...
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I agree with Marc....very good book...very clever thinkings...and it's because the 2 routines are so stong that I am glad he didn't put in the others edition....it'S to good ...lol

If you don't have the "pure effects" book, go sell some of your old cup and balls, foldings coins and maybe your mental epic..!!! but buy it...

Take care,

kuffs
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Been trying to get a copy of *any* edition of "Pure Effect" for several months, without success. I've heard, though, that a new printing is due to be released on 30th May, presumably by H&R Publishing. Hope they send plenty of copies to the dealers on this side of the pond! If they sell the lot to people who have pre-ordered, my only hope will be to try an extremely difficult book test and read the mind of someone who's actually got a copy of it! Of perhaps Mr Bown would be willing to implant the basic ideas into my mind at a distance for an affordable fee.

I have already got the book "Absolute Magic" and the video "The Devil's Picturebook" from the man himself, as well as "The Derren Brown Lecture" video from International Magic. They're all first class.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Don't you think that putting a praise that you got from your first edition on the back cover of your third edition is a bit misleading?

Yaniv Deautsch
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown’s Pure Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL