We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Why "Zombie" Ball? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 23:47, George Ledo wrote:
A film of Joe doing it? Where on earth did you find that?

At the end of Tim Wright's DVD on the Zombie, he has performance clips from Neil Foster and Joe Karson. Those clips, alone, were worth the price of the DVD.

It's interesting, though, how much the "character" of the ball has deviated away from the original concept. If you look at the movements and animations of the ball as it is being performed today, it doesn't look like anything remotely associated with Zombies.

Several months back, I revamped my entire Zombie Ball routine in an attempt to go back to the original theme. I purchased an easel, along with a framed portrait of a woman. The portrait was specially created so as to have her holding a large silver sphere in one hand, and a slight menacing glint in her eyes. Draped over the lady's shoulder is an ornate foulard.

In front of the portrait, lies a full sized coffin upon which rests the silver sphere and the foulard. A voice over narrative begins as the stage fills with fog. The narrative gives the gruesome history of the womand and explains that I am performing an excorcism to release the soul. I then step forward in cloaked garb and perform the Zombie.

This is something I developed last fall to incorporate into my Halloween stage performance in 2006. It should go over well, but I had to eliminate a LOT of moves that seemed out of character with the exorcism theme.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3512 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
OK,

Guys,
I have an original mimeographed set of instructions from the late 1940's of Joe Karson's Zombie patter.

And yes, it is a spooky zombie story that sets the mood for the floating ball.

If I'm not breaking copyright, I could type it out for everyone word for word....

Magically,
Walt
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
In the 1940s for something to be copyrighted is HAD to be reproduced with the copyright notice.

Copyright (or ©) DATE, by COPYRIGHT HOLDER'S NAME. All Rights Reserved.

If it was published without that notice, it wasn't copyrighted. If it was properly copyrighted in the late 1940s, it could still be in the public domain if the copyright was not renewed.

I read somewhere that a very, very large percentage of copyrights were never renewed, but you'd have to check.

Anything at all published before 1923 in the U.S. is now in the public domain, no matter what.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I know I read somewhere that Joe Karson coined the named Zombie.
Daniel Faith
rcalligan
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of rcalligan
Anyone see the Phantasm movies?
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Attack of the killer Zombie balls. Yep, I've seen all but the 3rd I think, the one that's so hard to find.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Why "Zombie" Ball? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL