The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who were these magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Somewhere in the late 1960's or early 1970's, when I was just a boy, my mother took me to a show in Montreal that took place in some theatre. I have a memory of a magician dressed like a lucifer character in black leotards plucking coins from the air, and at the end of the show an older magician doing the buzz saw illusion on his assistant, with lots of blood spraying everywhere. There were other acts as well, but those were the two I remembered. This is my earliest and probably my first memory of seeing a magical performance. I would dearly love to know who it was I saw. Any ideas out there?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
That was the World Festival of Magic and the Occult. The guy with the buzz saw was Richiardi. He literally stopped the show with that one. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Somewhere I still have the program for that show - I saw it when it played Toronto in 1971 or '72 I believe. Probably went on to or came from Montreal. Also on the program with Richiardi was Omar Pasha - he and his company were probably the greatest black art performers ever. Several other terrific acts were also in that production but their names escape me right now. Got to dig up that program...

I drove from Buffalo, NY to see it the first evening with some magic friends. The show was so good that I went back the next night taking my wife and kids so they could see it too. Or maybe it was an excuse for me to see it again. Smile

After the show the first night myself with my friends went back stage and met Richiardi and his wife. He was very gracious to us. The following night again I took my family backstage after the show and Richiardi remembered me from the night before. He asked did I drive up from Buffalo again. When I told him I had because I wanted my family to see his wonderful show he apologized that he didn't give me tickets for the 2nd night. I told him seeing the show twice was worth the drive and the price of the tickets (and that was no lie).

Richiardi and his wife were extremely gracious to myself and my family again the second night. He was surprised and appreciative that people would come all that way just to see his show. They spent 30 or 40 minutes talking and telling us about their tour and asking us questions about our lives and magic interests.

Over these many years I have seen and met many famous magicians but Richiardi certainly ranks as one of the nicest and finest performers I've ever had the pleasure of seeing perform and meeting personally. Maybe that's part of the
reason that show has stuck in your mind for all these years.

Todsky - If it is of interest to you I will try to find the program and let you know the names of the other performers besides Omar Pasha. Meanwhile here is a link that might help you remember: http://www.magicomarpasha.com/

Dave
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Todsky. The show was at the St. Denis theatre and it was GREAT. I keep many of the old folios/programs but cannot trace this one. Omar Pasha and Richiardi were the highlights for me.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Kevin, I never even heard of Richiardi until now, although I guess I saw his show back then.
Dave, I checked out that web site, but I don't see anything that jogs my memory there, and the photo gallery section doesn't seem to work for me. If you do find the program, it would be interesting to know the names of the other performers.
Mike, you've actually pinned it down to The St Denis theatre. That's amazing! I'm going to go there (I think it still exists), and see if they have any records of old performances. Also check out the actual theatre.
You guys have been great! I really didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. I think Richiardi's show, and especially the guy doing the miser's dream act, played an instrumental part in my eventually becoming a magician, so it is fascinating to get all this info!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

No problem. When the show was in NYC, it also had Randi, Tom Palmer(pickpocket) and more. Pasha also dragged a huge fire extenguisher across the stage with a meat hook through his tongue! I have the program here, signed by most of the cast. When, if, I find it, I'll post the NYC cast.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
And I'll try and hunt up the program from Toronto - if I can find it I'll scan it in and post it to my website and give you a link here.

Just hope I can find it now! Smile

Dave
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Kevin, you said Pasha dragged a fire extinguisher across the stage with a meat hook thru his tongue. This I do not remember, and I think I would've remembered that. I wonder if it really is the same show. Or maybe the show was a bit different in Montreal. Hopefully one of you can turn up the program.
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Todsky, Pasha did NOT perform the meat hook thru tongue in the Montreal show that I saw. I recall noting much of the content of his black art act, though.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

The show would change magicians from city to city, from what I remembered. Do you remeber the pickpocket or Randi working it?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Well Todsky - I spent 1/2 the evening hunting for the brochure - turns out I have a couple different ones plus some other memorabilia like the ticket envelope and 1/2 a ticket. Anyway I finally met with success. Unfortunately it's too late for me tonight to scan them in and get them on my site so I'll try to do that tomorrow evening. I get up at 5am for work so I get to bed early!

To wet your appetite here are some facts for you:
Date of show in Toronto: May 31 - June 5, 1971
Place of show: Royal Alexandra Theatre
Cost: Smile C$3.00 to C$7.50 Smile
The Performers:

Richiardi & his company
Omar Pasha & his company
Di Sato ((Probably the Lucifer you remember)
Joe Waldys (Champion Pickpocket)
Harry Thiery (A terrific manipulator)
Naga (Mindreader)
Ludow (Magical M.C.)
Rodini (Master Hypnotist - quite good as I remember)
Shri Krishna (The Yogi)

They played Montreal prior to Toronto - dates were May 13-29, 1971 at the Theatre St-Denis. So that's likely the show that you went to.

Again - I will try to scan the smaller brochure and other items tomorrow night. The large brochure is too big to scan - sorry. The smaller one does have short write-ups on all the performers so I know you'll find that interesting.

Dave
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Todsky

Here's the pictures from Richiardi's Show that I promised. Use the link below and change the number following "Magic" for each picture:

http://www.hypercon.net/~omk/cafe/Magic1.jpg

Magic1 = Front of Advertisement Card
Magic2 = Back of Advertisement Card
Magic3 = First two pages of "Scene" Magazine
Magic4 = Next two pages of "Scene" Magazine
Magic5 = Last two pages of "Scene" Magazine

If you move your mouse over the bottom right corner of each picture an icon will appear - click the icon and the picture will supersize.

The "Scene" Magazine was Vol. 8 - No. 11 for May 31-June 6, 1971 and was put out by the Royal Alexandra Theatre advertising their shows. It was given out to each person as a program for the show. I also have a large program that I purchased but it's too big to scan.

Enjoy,

Dave
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Dave, most good of you to post the program! I love the way the show is described; the program is so well wriiten and 'authentic' sounding. Reading it over, it sounds more likely that was indeed the show I saw. I guess I was only 9 at the time, so my memory of the event is a bit hit and miss. I'm going to give this info to my Mom and see if it jogs her memory at all. My next step is to search the web, and maybe some newspaper archives (Toronto Star and Montreal Gazette) for photos of some of these magicians. That would further jog my memory.
Again, much obliged for your efforts, and thanks for helping to clear up this 35 year old mystery for me.
Yours truly,
Todd
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Todsky,
My pleasure. Thank you for reminding me of a very enjoyable couple of days I spent 35 years ago. I took my wife and 2 boys with me the second night - my boys were 12 and 11 at that time. Very close to your age then.

I'm not surprised that the show stuck in your mind all these years - It was a winner - one of the best I've ever seen in my over 50 years in magic. Richiardi was a great performer. There are videos of him performing available - you should try and get one. The S.A.M. member library has a couple of his TV performances I believe. And Pasha was supurb - There also is a video available of his act as well. The others in the show I'm not aware of any videos available but there may be some.

Anyway - glad you enjoyed what I found and hope you find more jogs to your memory.

Dave
Vince Hancock
View Profile
New user
Bear Lake, Michigan
31 Posts

Profile of Vince Hancock
Dave,

Thanks for posting the program images so all of us could take a gander!

I wonder if the program caused a startling reaction of its own once the magic show was over. The restaurant ads, especially on image #3 (below the Richiardi warning) don't seem as enticing anymore. "After the Theater, Chinese Food of Course!" says one ad. Another, right next to the Richiardi entry (image #5) offers entrecote and tripe dishes. What a kick in the stomach!

Also--these days, could anyone get away with calling a show "The Great World Festival of Magic and Witchcraft?"

Vince Hancock
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Hi Vince,

Good to see you here on the Café.

Glad you enjoyed the images. The show had several performers that the Witchcraft ad fitted. Di Sato and Pasha especially but others, including Richiardi, fit it somewhat also. You're right though - might be difficult to do now.

I know you like videos of great performances - the two I mentioned are ones you should try to get - Richiardi and Omar Pasha. Both are ones you'd really enjoy.

Dave
madmax
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of madmax
Quote:
On 2006-04-09 10:58, Kevin Connolly wrote:
That was the World Festival of Magic and the Occult. The guy with the buzz saw was Richiardi. He literally stopped the show with that one. Smile

Memory itself plays tricks Smile

Though the 'World Festival of Magic and the Occult' included many magicians, with the Brazilian Aldo Richiardi as the headliner, and did play some days in Canada (subsequent to three weeks at the Felt Forum in New York City), the Canadian dates were at the Royal Opera in Ottawa, and it was a few years after the other extravaganza, with an entirely different cast of other performers, including Geoffrey Crozier and the Moon Rock Circus--you'd likely remember them if you'd been at the Ottawa show Smile
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I attended the World Festival of Magic and Witchcraft at the Royal Alex in Toronto in the company of Doug Henning. (He was not yet famous.) Richiardi's Buzz Saw was very bloody and gory but garnered a lot of newspaper coverage. Harry Thierry and Di Sato were the same performer. Just different costumes and makeup. Both were great acts, but very different. Doug and I waited outside the backstage door of the theatre after the show. Virtually the entire cast came out together and walked several blocks to a nearby restaurant. Doug and I just kind of joined up with the troop and followed them and "crashed" their after show dinner. They didn't seem to care and we got a chance to briefly chat with Richiardi Jr. You can read about this in John Harrison's book on Doug called "Spellbound."

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who were these magicians? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL